SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Take on the Polls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Interesting Take on the Polls Reply with quote

http://denbeste.nu/special/polltrends.shtml

Forgive me if this link has been posted before. This guy has some interesting ideas about what has been going on in the polls.

Quote:
In my opinion, the polls were being deliberately gimmicked, in hopes of helping Kerry.

Why am I not surprised.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no question they have been gimmicked. There was a link to a story that showed whatever they polss say, htey are anywhere from 5 to 10 points light in their support for GWB.
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. You can't pay attention to the raw numbers of any of the polls. Just watch the trends or you'll go nuts. For instance Zogby has gone from Bush up by 4 to the election being a dead heat in the last 2 days. A 4 percent change in 2 days isn't very likely, in particular when all the other polls show Bush trending up. Zogby states that were seeing the results of Kerry winning the last debate. Errr excuse me that debate was over a week ago and the result of it has shown Bush trending up and has been since the middle of last week when you'd expect to start seeing how the debate effected the election.
jimlarsen
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Zogby decided to scew the poll back in Kerry's favour since it didn't naturally trend that way. The conclusion at the above link seems to be that there was some manipulation to make Bush look good, but that the anticipated rise for Kerry hasn't materialized. We might find more polls suddenly dropping Bush's numbers as they realize that the real trend favours Bush.

Also, looking at the chart at
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/Presidential_04/chart3way.html
it appears that there's about a 4 week cycle in the spread. It also appears that the center of the spread has shifted from 0 to about 3. With a 4 week cycle the trend would continue to be down for Bush (favoring Kerry) this week with a point of inflexion at about 3 by weekend, and next week should start a new cycle with an upward tread (favoring Bush).

If this was a stock I'd sure want to be long on Bush. All in fun of course. Now where's that Oct. surprise.
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Rasmussen poll Reply with quote

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/Presidential_Tracking_Poll.htm

Today's Rasmussen poll shows race tightening: Bush 47.5 Kerry 47.3

Rasmussen says that "The New York Times and Senator Kerry have brought Social Security back into the campaign over the past two days. An earlier Rasmussen Reports survey found voters evenly divided as to which is riskier--letting workers invest on their own or relying on the federal government for promised benefits. As you would expect, there are huge generational differences on this issue."

The New York Times recently published some allegedly "secret" quote from Bush that he intended to "privatize" Social Security in January. It's totally bogus, because Greenspan said that doing NOTHING to Social Security would lead to higher taxes or lower benefits or both, so Bush's plan to allow younger workers to allocate part of the Social Security taxes to an investment plan is the ONLY way to save Social Security.

Something needs to be done about this--could another SBVT ad which talks about Kerry's proposed withdrawal from Vietnam, its disastrous consequences, and Kerry's plan to withdraw from Iraq shift the focus of the campaign away from Social Security and scaring senior citizens?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: