SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Michael Dobbs responds. . . (sort of)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Carrington
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Michael Dobbs responds. . . (sort of) Reply with quote

Michael Dobbs of WaPo replying to my "Going Downriver" post on this forum (I sent him the link to the post. . . .so at least he knows how to get here if he didn't already)
=================

I read your essay. Can't say I agree with it, but you are welcome to your
views, and to critique the Post....

So I sent him a thank you (sort of). . .

At least you read it (no mean feat) and replied I'm grateful for that. But never will understand why you are not more curious about those records. Bob and Carl would have been I believe. And might have saved some truly marvelous Americans a huge dose of slander. Countless Americans out there now think Swift Vets/POWs are liars courtesy of hip-shot reporting. What a case of double jeopardy. Profoundly disgusting. Good luck and thank you.

Last edited by Jeff Carrington on Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Can't say I agree with it?"

The letter you wrote laid out the FACTS. All he has to do is get on the internet or pick up a phone and start confirming a few.

Instead, he brushes you off with two lines and goes on about his business just like the rest of the MSM, each parroting the others' worn out lines and lies.

As long as all the other talking heads saying it, it must be okay.

I think these guys forget what a responsibility comes with "Freedom of the Press," and part of the reason that the founding fathers thought it was so vital to our republic.

Namely, that the people in a free society must be informed.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we were all taught this in school (years ago):

Quote:
I think these guys forget what a responsibility comes with "Freedom of the Press," and part of the reason that the founding fathers thought it was so vital to our republic.

Several weeks ago I actually did a Google search on combinations of "First Amendment," "Freedom of the Press," "responsibility", "duty," "Federalist Papers" (where I thought the argument was made), etc. I was looking for articles that discussed this concept of balancing freedom of the press with some sense of duty or responsibility from the press. Know what? I found none!!!

MSM has been totally focused on the freedom (isn't it hypocritically ironic, then, that they've attacked Sinclair). Apparently they thought they were under pressure from the right to report things they didn't want to report.

Try it yourself - the Google search, I mean. It will tell you volumes about what is going on.
Jeff Carrington
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
"Can't say I agree with it?"

The letter you wrote laid out the FACTS. All he has to do is get on the internet or pick up a phone and start confirming a few..

N3, good point. How 'bout if someone official from the SVPT organization or the forum sent Michael (and others at WaPo) the UFC epilogue .PDF file in an email, or a link. True he and they may have it already. . . I don't know about the distribution plan. . .but I get just a hint of a vibe that Michael (although misguided and/or curtailed) is not so far gone that all sense of fairness has been completely cauterized. I could easily send him the link or attachment, but he probably considers me on par with spam right about now. Needs an official/diplomatic wrapper.

The Epilogue is a brilliant stepwise summary, a real treasure map to the truth, the rankest cub reporter wouldn't need much more. Assuming only that they cared.
flagreen
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an excellent essay Jeff.

It was decent of Dobbs to acknowledge it. That's more than most would have done.
Jack Mclaughlin
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob and Carl would only be interested if the possibility was to do great harm to Republicans or Consevatives. Bob is right there at the Post today as a managing editor and you can bet he is discouraging Michael Dobbs from learning the truth. Carl has been using every forum available to him to label swiftees as liars.
rhv5862
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Michael Dobbs Responds Reply with quote

3N said "laid out the facts". MSM not concerened with the facts, unless it is positive to Kerry. They do not want to print the truth about Kerry since it would be his downfall.

RHV
Jeff Carrington
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point is very well taken by Jack about Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein in current times as Kerry supporters, in Bernstein's case extreme. I should have clarified I meant in the abstract sense, i.e., as crusading reporters on a story where there was obvious blood and coverup as detailed throughout UFC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: