SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gore Urges Angry Black Floridians to Vote - Mike Glover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inatizzy
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Gore Urges Angry Black Floridians to Vote - Mike Glover Reply with quote

Gore Urges Angry Black Floridians to Vote

Oct 24, 5:13 PM (ET)

By MIKE GLOVER

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Former Vice President Al Gore on Sunday told blacks embittered by his narrow loss in the 2000 presidential election that "it doesn't have to be this way" and urged them to turn anger into energy at the polls.

"Don't turn it into angry acts or angry words," Gore said at one stop during a tour of mostly black churches. He also urged worshippers to take advantage of a state law that permits voting before Election Day, Nov. 2.

"Early voting is a good idea," he said. "You want to give them plenty of time to count all the votes."

Polls show Florida's 27 electoral votes are up for grabs again this year with the race closely divided between President Bush and Democratic challenger Sen. John Kerry. Gore lost the White House by 537 votes in the state after the U.S. Supreme Court voted to stop ballot recounts in several Florida counties.

"Turn all of that energy and all of these feelings into a nonstop effort between now and the time the polls close at 7 p.m. on November 2," Gore said.

The former presidential candidate was staging a symbolic, two-day swing through Florida that ends Monday in Broward and Palm Beach counties, the epicenter of the 2000 election dispute.

Gore said he was living proof that every vote counts.

"If anybody ever tells you that one vote doesn't count, you tell them to come talk to me," he said.

His day began in Jacksonville in the northeast, where black leaders argued that thousands of votes were discarded four years ago. Later Sunday, Gore attended an early-vote rally at the courthouse in Tallahassee.

"Last election, 27,000 of us voted, most of us for brother Al Gore," said Rev. Tom Diamond, of the Abyssinia Missionary Baptist Church. "The Republican Party threw out 27,000 African-American votes. By all rights brother Al Gore is the president-elect."

Black churches are an important factor in turning out minority voters and are historically politically active. On the front lawn of Diamond's church were twin signs saying, "The Power is In Your Hands Vote Nov. 2" and "Having Trouble Voting Ask Us."

While Gore urged blacks to vote in record numbers, he also swiped at Bush. Gore said the president has little sense of where he wants to take the country during another term in office.

"There's a saying in the Bible, that when there is no vision people perish," Gore said, using Biblical themes to make political points.

"When there's a judgment on the part of the people that there is no vision on the part of those in charge, the people have a chance to make a change," Gore said.

In sharp contrast to his days as vice president and as a candidate for president, Gore traveled the state with only a couple of aides and joked about his status.

"I'd like to see some changes in this economy," he said. "I was the first one laid off."

Gore also made light of those who argue that new jobs being created aren't as high paid as the ones being lost.

"They're not as good as the jobs being lost and that's true for me, too," Gore said.

He said early voters would help "make sure there's not any kind of, what's the word I'm looking for, accidents."

Gore, who was joined at church by Florida Rep. Corrine Brown, swayed in his seat, clapped his hands and hugged parishioners. He took pains to recall the record of former President Clinton, who remains very popular among blacks but who was shunned by Gore's campaign four years ago.

"We know what can be done in the White House, we know what a difference can be made in the lives of people and families and communities," Gore said. "It doesn't have to be this way."

Gore's appearances were still more evidence of how intense both parties are fighting for Florida's electoral votes. Bush and New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton campaigned in the state Saturday. Kerry campaigned there on Sunday.

Notice the sentences in bold. That's the kinda crap were having to deal with. That so called "man of the cloth" was telling a bald faced lie. All these people know how to do is lie to get their people angry enough to go vote against Bush. Whatever happened to separation of church and state?

Oh yeah, that's right, that only applies to Republicans Rolling Eyes

Admin note: Please include a link to a legitimate source when reproducing content in this forum. Thanks.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proof that the term "goron" is accurate.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hondo wrote:
Proof that the term "goron" is accurate.

The moron forgot to read the report that vindicated Florida of wrong doing and proved the election was fair and that GWB did win legitimately. He is a sore loser. Evil or Very Mad
sleeplessinseattle
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: This is the kind of crap we're having to deal with.... Reply with quote

Inatizzy wrote:
brother Al Gore

Gag me with a spoon! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.****france.com/read.html?postid=865778&replies=7
kmudd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
http://www.wehaitians.com/voodoo%20politics.html

By LOWELL PONTE, FrontPageMagazine.com

November 1, 2002

SENDING 20,000 U.S. TROOPS TO HAITI TO TOPPLE a pro-American government and install in its place Leftist Jean-Bertrand (“Fidel Castro is my greatest personal hero”) Aristide was among the first acts of the Clinton-Gore Administration.

Among its final acts was to send thugs into the Miami, Florida suburb Little Haiti to intimidate black immigrants from that Caribbean island nation on election day 2000.

These Gore goons forced their way into polling places where, in blatant violation of law, they reportedly put up Gore posters next to voting booths and “helped” frightened voters by marking their ballots for Mr. Gore.

Residents of Little Haiti who had Bush signs or buttons were threatened with violence. One reportedly was beaten with a baseball bat.

kmudd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=18018

ELECTION 2000, Day 26
Minority voters 'intimidated' in Florida
Pastor reports pro-Bush Dominican-American beaten with baseball bat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Julie Foster
© 2000 WorldNetDaily.com

A black Dominican-American carrying pro-Bush signs was beaten with a baseball bat near a polling place in Miami by voters opposed to the Republican presidential candidate, says a well-known Haitian-American pastor.

The beaten man came to Rev. Phipps St. Hilaire of Christian Churches United in Miami-Dade County, showing the pastor his bruises. He was struck on the head with the bat, noted Phipps, who related the victim's experience.

The victim, a Republican voter, was holding a picture of Gov. George W. Bush when an angry bystander approached, telling the Republican to get the picture out of sight. When the Republican refused, the agitated bystander went to his car, took out a baseball bat and began hitting the Bush supporter in the head, according to St. Hilaire.

"It's really unbelievable," St. Hilaire reflected. "To me, it's still a dream, but it's a reality too, because some people have suffered."

The pastor said he received dozens of complaints from Haitian- and Dominican-Americans who claim they were blocked from the polls. Of those who complained, two or three were physically beaten, he said.

Tony Welch, spokesman for the Florida Democratic Party, said he has heard no complaints of physical intimidation in the state. However, he said if incidents like the baseball bat beating occurred, "I hope there are some arrests made."

Fox News reported complaints that Democratic campaign workers for Vice President Al Gore and state Representative Philip Brutus unfairly and illegally violated the 50-foot rule around some precincts in Miami's Little Haiti. The rule prohibits campaign workers from interfering with voters' access to the polls or trying to pressure them.

Some campaign volunteers actually entered the precincts, St. Hilaire told Fox, telling voters what holes to punch and forcing sheets of paper into their hands with the numbers to punch listed on them.

Pauline Charles, a campaign worker for Brutus's opponent, Republican Reggie Thompson, said she saw volunteers helping voters fill out their ballots.

"I heard him tell him, 'Say no to all of this, punch this number and make sure you vote for Gore. Punch number 85, I mean 86 for Brutus.' And you know, giving them exact numbers to the point where he had it written down on a piece of paper just in case they got confused, and they'd take the piece of paper and punch in the numbers," Charles told Fox.

Eventually, Thompson volunteers called the police, and election officials removed the political partisans from the voting area. But critics say countless Haitian voters at several precincts were unfairly influenced to vote for a straight Democratic ticket.

"It went beyond intimidation," St. Hilaire told WorldNetDaily. Some minority voters had bottles of water thrown at them, he added. "That is communism, taking over our freedom," he continued. "Some [of the victims] say they didn't believe what they [saw], like they were in Russia or Haiti."

The pastor and political activist said he will begin concentrating on educating minority voters after the current election fiasco dies down.

"Since we had a good deal of violence in our own country, [I will] educate them so they do not get taken advantage of," St. Hilaire said.

African-American voters make up 15 percent of the electorate in Florida, 93 percent of which supported Gore on Nov. 7. Bill Clinton received 86 percent in 1996. More than 100,000 Haitians live in Miami-Dade County, many of them in Little Haiti. Most are new to America and unfamiliar with the U.S. election process.

St. Hilaire said he believes only a small number of people are "causing problems," yet they have captured the attention of the world and caused people to question America's system of government.

"I believe in God. I believe in the American system of justice. I believe that justice shall prevail no matter what other people try to do to the system," St. Hilaire remarked. "It cannot be lost. Our forefathers shed their blood for it."

"I still believe this nation is a leader," he said, even though "some people are trying to degrade our nation."

In the meantime, the Florida pastor, who came to the United States 30 years ago, is encouraging media to report on voter intimidation in his state.

"The media here really has to write the truth. You cannot let it go," he urged. "Let us keep telling the truth. Let's keep writing the truth so those who read it can be set free."

bk_mo
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Gore Reply with quote

I wish that mans head would just explode in front of a camera.
sdonions
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to see Goron just fade away or the very least the use of his volcal cords. He has lost all credibility that he never had. Hopefully his endorsement of sKerry is the Kiss of Death. Laughing
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
told blacks embittered by his narrow loss in the 2000

whatever. i'm sure these people have not been mad for 4 years. Gotta hand it to those ********, man are they calling in the big guns. wow, this is amazing. I'm quaking in my boots - not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: