SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I adopted a soldier today!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Adopt a Soldier Reply with quote

Wow, that had to rack up some shipping charges! Any advice on who to use for shipping? I sent out 2 - 15lb packages and they were about $35.00 each at the UPS store. Shocked Shocked

THE UPS STORE MARKS UP POSTAGE - Take them to a POST OFFICE instead ( I temped at one...LOL)
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send it Priority Mail through the post office. I use that all the time and my packages have been getting there in about a week. They charge you local postage, like mailing it in the United States to the United States. Different charges for state you are in and the APO it goes to.
GiveMeFreedom
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Post Office last Friday and shipped 2 packages - 10 lbs. each and they were only $13.00 each to ship! Much better! Thanks for the advice! I would rather spend the money on the "stuff" than the shipping! Wink
http://www.operationac.com
Support our Soldiers!!
ProudDaughterofVet
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my soldier today!!!! I am fired up..and is he/she going to be spoiled rotten..and I will send all of your prayers and thanks to him/her as well..

Also, my two friends adopted as well..they are so happy and proud of it..and also, I took the help from the websites provided..but they said I should write first, so a letter is off tomorrow..I am honored to have this opportunity to help in anyway I can..

PD

www.timetotakeastand.blogspot.com
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adopted two soldiers in Afghanistan and one in Iraq a few weeks ago--Found some great boxes, nice and sturdy, at Office Depot in packs of three for a dollar on a clearance table--They were great for sending "AnySoldier" packages!--It was amazing how much snack food, coffee, toiletries, playing cards etc I could get into one of those boxes--One of my fellas in Afghanistan asked for fans and lamps which I have an overabundance of around here so that box was larger, but worth it--Frankly, I have great fun perusing the market and Wal-Mart/Target etc for items that I think they might enjoy and the packaging and sending really does my heart good--I just feel so fortunate to have these amazing young people "out there" doing such terrific things to make our world a better place and that I am able to send them little bits of "home" to let them know how much we're all thinking of them--

I also hit-up a couple of resale stores for some used-but-in-good-condition Beanie Babies and, to my delight, my two great neices donated some of theirs to include in the packages--The soldiers love to have small toys to give to the children that they encounter and small stuffed toys are easy for them to carry and not breakable, so I always include a few in each box--

Interesting exerpt from a message received from my soldier stationed outside Baghdad

Quote:
"We are all looking forward to the election and most of us in my section are hoping that our current Commander-in-Chief remains in place. We need the decisive leadership that we have been accustomed to these past four years.

What can I say?--These kids are the BEST and we owe them anything we can do for them and I'm only too pleased that I'm able--

God Bless the organizations that make these programs possible!--C
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to those who may be going to but haven't yet... if you're going to send packages, you'll need to fill out (at least I do) a Customs Declaration and Dispatch Note (form 2976-A).

If you go to a busy post office, you might want to have these ready in advance instead of having to get back in line again.

I send care packages that weigh about 6 lbs and it cost me about $6.00 to send each one. Items enclosed include a newspaper, disposable camera, foot powder, Slim Jims, micro popcorn, coffee, hot chocolate, oatmeal, etc. I also include gum, Rolaids, playing cards, dice, lotion, eye drops, and more. Kind of an all around package.

Most importantly, I include a personal letter giving thanks for the sacrifices these men and woman are making on behalf of our country and Iraq / Afghanistan.

If you need to know where to send packages, go to http://www.anysoldier.us/WhereToSend/ and see what the troops need.
GiveMeFreedom
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it feels like the world is caving in on itself, I go buy 'stuff' and send it to these guys & gals, because right now, they and our CINC are the only truly STEADFAST people I know we can count on right now!!!
God Bless America and our soldiers, and the families of the fallen brave.
http://www.operationac.com
Support our Soldiers!!
MJB
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doll wrote:
God bless all of you! Everytime I hear about things such as this my heart hurts because I truly do not have any extra $'s to put out with my own husband being disabled and a child with autism, and work for me is hard to come by these days.

One of these days I hope to help in someway with support of $'s, but in the mean time I hope my humble prayers for all of you and all our soldiers is recieved by all.

Smile

Prayer is the most powerful form of support you can offer *hug* Very Happy
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember a way to collect things that are expensive and the troops love is magazines and books that you can ask you doctor's or dentist's office to donate after they are finished with them. They save them for me and I pick them up about every two weeks and mail to the troops. I have not had one person to turn me down on this. Also, they need toothbrushes and the dentist can supply you with a few that they give away to patients with little things of toothpaste and dental floss. Also, if you are at a department store, ask at the men's or women's department if they have free samples of shampoo, lotion, etc. I have had some luck with that. Now that I have established contact on a regular basis with my soldiers, I have 11, I am sending out home made cookies to them. They really enjoy it. Also, depending on where they are, they have DVD players and video games. My son is donating his games that he has played and finished and if you go to these used movie places, they have really really cheap movies. If you send pre-viewed movies, make sure you watch them before you ship so you know that they are good and playable. I am also thinking about sending a note out to my neighborhood, they do it here all the time for various charities, and ask them to buy a CD, a magazine, small shampoo bottles, etc to be sent to the troops for Christmas. I will serve as a collection point and be responsible for the mailing. If they don't want to buy, I will also put in there that cash donations will be accepted to be used either to buy stuff or to pay for the postage to send out the presents. Just a few thoughts to help get more stuff over to them that they can use or share. I have a medic who works at the Balad Hospital and even asking if they can't donate money, maybe their child can draw a picture, or maybe they can put in some tinsel to help decorate the hospital for the wounded. Any other thoughts out there? Almost forgot, neighbors may also give you any used magazines or paperback novels they have read. Half-Price Books also have really cheap used books. Some you can pick up for as little as $.40.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: