SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you prove to a liberal that the press lied about WMDs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEd80
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: How do you prove to a liberal that the press lied about WMDs Reply with quote

I want to get you all opinions, a friend of mine argued with me that us going into Iraq was wrong because there were no WMDs, because of that Duffler report stating that there was no WMDs, but since that report came from the UN, what facts and internet sources can I use to support my case that the war in Iraq was justified, and Saddam did have WMDs and that the press is just trying to cover that up just to make Bush look bad. Should I use the missing 380 ton explosives as an example or no?
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even try to explain it to them. I tell them what I really think which is Saddam was a mass murderer, a bane to the world and his country, he was security risk to our country, and most important removing him from power was the morally right thing to do. Then I walk away and let them babble. Smile
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask them if the free world is supposed to defend itself based on information it MIGHT have, SOMEDAY...

Or if defense needs to be based on the best information that we have right NOW?
mcknz
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that you can never convince a liberal of anything, no matter how many facts you have or how solid your logic is.
Nevertheless, if you insist on trying, I would try to make the case that Saddam Hussien was a threat to the US and the world. He was not complying with the UN resolutions or the weapons inspectors. He refused to disarm. The purpose of the UN weapons inspections was not to find weapons, but for Saddam to demonstrate how he had disarmed. He did not do this. He financially supported terrorists. Our intelligence and our allies intelligence told us that he DID have WMD. He had used WMD in the past. He was a danger to Israel, and could have easliy set off a worldwide conflict by attacking Israel. Even though he may not have had WMD when we attacked, he did have the intent and the means to obtain WMD in the future. He was a danger to the world, he was a danger to the US, he was a danger to the middle east. The US and the world are safer today with Saddam in jail, and there was no other way to accomplish regime change.
I think this would be enough for most normal people, but with a liberal it don't think anything will work. Even if you demolish them, they will ultimately say that there is no absolute truth and it's not possible to tell if we actually exist.
All the best and be protected.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To begin with, don't accept the argument. WMDs were a talking point but were not the reason for this war. BTW Duefer says the existing materials were hidden or ignored and reconstituted programs were only a few inspections away thanks to a thoroughly corrupt UN.

The reasons for this war were manifold and obscured by strategic necessity. We've been playing a losing hand in this contretempts with Terrorism for 30 years. 9/11 meant it was time to throw over the table. It was time to carry the war to the enemy. We needed our feet on the ground. While Afganistan and the Taliban were an obvious and easy target, Afganistan is a strategic nowhere and logistical nightmare. We were losing our Saudi facilities to vacilating sheiks and Sadam was foolishly violating truce protcols and UN provisions. He made himself a target and he deserved to go down, publicly celebrating 9/11 was reason enough of the millions availible. All parties (save the bribed) including the would-be-president Kerry and his prancing pony said he was an intolerable threat. Positioning heavy US divisions in Iraq gives us a bigger stick to deal with Iran or Syria, draws the radicals into our kill-zone and puts the fear of God into the Saudi princes. Removing Sadam was incidental and any nation building was an improvement over Sadam's malign neglect of the public weal.

Now we are in a transitory stage and there have been problems. The biggest was the failure to secure a northern front in Turkey. Turkey occupies 1/3rd of a hostile Kurdistan (Kurdistan by the way dates to at least 1500BC) and didn't want to encourage ethnic unrest and played it safe. The northern front would have closed the Syrian border and squeezed the Baathists into the Sunni Triangle between north and south pincers. Turkey's late denial wrecked the warplan and trashed our tactical and logistical planning. We're still dealing with the repercussions. Clauswitz is not required reading in journalism classes.

Overall the war seems to have been a breath taking success. The naysayers predicted Armaggedon with 30,000 body bags returning stateside and Iragi cities flattened by area bombing with millions of dead Iraqis.....I missed it. Iwas impressed with an Iraqi who's interview you'll never see on MSM saying "Under Sadam we were 'safe' but we couldn't make any money. Today there is danger but I can make a living!" Another old girl interviewed said "I've got a passport! I can travel!" and danced in celebration.

BigEd, If you have to argue with these people you might indicate they enjoy the freedom of speech but don't know where it comes from, have no idea how to defend it and Sadam would have killed them for expressing it.

Last edited by I B Squidly on Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
1AD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Explosives Reply with quote

If he wasn't planning on developing nuclear weapons then why did he have explosives whose primary purpose is to trigger a nuclear explosion?
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: All good answers,BUT Reply with quote

There are two sites I can recommend for your viewing. One is GAMLA, an oficial Israeli site and the other is Friends of Likkud, likewise Israeli. I'm sure these folks would be more than willing to assist you in your efforts.
Possibly a third is "Saddam and Assad, Iraq and Syria" which gives a parallel history of how they came into power and how their mutual interests coincided throughout the procession of both Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom.
I have other sources but unfortunately I can't post their sites on the web without getting some good people into deep doo doo Mad

Sgt. Maj. Seamus D.D. MacNemi R.M.C. Ret.
Darkhorse18
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1AD mentioned above the explosives are real good for nuke triggers...the 5,000 plus Kurds didn't die was sucking on Tic Tacks........and of course we should have engaged Iraq just for shooting at our aircraft that were enforcing the no fly zones….there were so many people tortured and killed that they will be digging up mass graves for the next 40 years
buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Duelfer report says that Saddam was using the food for oil program to buy influence which would get UN inspectors out in the future, then he could restart his program. There was 500 tons of yellowcake and 2 tons of enriched uranium at a nuclear facility that the US shipped out. That was enough for 142 nukes. The secrets of the bomb making was kept by a scientist named Obeidi (sp? Obeiri) that was documented in his book " The Bomb in My Garden" --check Frontpagemag.com for this info. The report also opens up the possibility that materials were shipped to Syria before the war when the French were buying time for Saddam.
Otis
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: How do you prove to a liberal that the press lied about Reply with quote

BigEd80 wrote:
I want to get you all opinions, a friend of mine argued with me that us going into Iraq was wrong because there were no WMDs, because of that Duffler report stating that there was no WMDs, but since that report came from the UN, what facts and internet sources can I use to support my case that the war in Iraq was justified, and Saddam did have WMDs and that the press is just trying to cover that up just to make Bush look bad. Should I use the missing 380 ton explosives as an example or no?

Here's the Duffler report:

You know a very strange thing happened to me when I goggled the Duffler report. When I first Goggled I downloaded the report. When I went back to get the URL for you I couldn't get back to it. Try goggling the report and see what you get.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then when you get all done explaining it, complete with a power point presentation drawing a timeline from 1500 BC to 2004 AD, and you hand out reports outlining the threat Saddam represented if he had been allowed to persist in flaunting and violating the sanctions and the 17 UN resolutions, which you will have compiled as Appendix C in the 1400 page report you hand out, you will find your leftist friend with his fingers in his ears saying "nahnahnahnahIcan'thearyouIamnotlisteningnannynannybooboo"

And then he will look at you wide eyed and asked if you have seen Farenheit 9/11.

And which point you are justified in smacking him in the mouth, because the next ignorant teenager that asks me if I have seen that piece of al qua quaa is going to get exactly that.

TIMES UP! NO MORE TALKING!
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to prove that Saddam had WMD's then I would search for the famous photos of all the dead Kurds he killed. The bigger question to me is, where are they? I know he had them. Am I supposed to believe that he just gave them up after killing all those people? Do they think he was so appalled at his own doings that he gave them up? Did he find God or something and change his ways? I don't think so. He had months to get rid of whatever he had. What was he doing while we bothered to go the the UN and ask for help. I realize that the UN didn't find them and that we didn't find them. However, I just don't believe that he did not have them. The guy was a mass murderer, I don't think they change. Has there ever been a mass murderer in the past that all of a sudden stopped murdering people? The one thing I took away from a abnormal psychology class is that these people never change.

Last edited by msindependent on Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthrax is a WMD and two vials would fit in the southbound pocket of a northbound Syrian with room to spare.

The fact that this "there were no WMDs" crap gained so much traction is maddening. What did they think we would find? Missle silos with nukes in them showing mid town Manhattan co-ordinates in large, day-glo orange? DUH!

The misreporting of the Duelfer Report by the OIM was irresponsible, and showed reckless and callous disregard for the safety of the American people.
Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the link below to learn about the town of Halabja in Northern Iraq. In a matter of minutes, 5000 people lost their life in 1 of Saddams gas attacks on the Kurds.

WARNING: Some images may be disturbing

http://www.kdp.pp.se/chemical.html

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
tngator
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its easy. everyone operated from the same information. everyone believed then that he had them. everyone in the US was screaming to 'Do Something'. now the left wants to use it against Bush. go figure, irregardless that the program could have been reconstituted in weeks. when it is all said and done, I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that the UN inspection team was in on the oil for food scandal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: