SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

this kind of stuff really makes me sick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickb
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: this kind of stuff really makes me sick. Reply with quote

one picture is worth a thousand words.

http://lawgeek.typepad.com/Lake%20County%20Suppression%20letter.jpg
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the creditability of an unsigned document? What is this proof of? Where did the document originate and for what cause? It appears to be a picture of a 1000 meaningless words.
nickb
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocsparky101 wrote:
What is the creditability of an unsigned document? What is this proof of? Where did the document originate and for what cause? It appears to be a picture of a 1000 meaningless words.

it's a letter mailed out telling people if they were registered to vote by the groups listed in the letter, they were registered illegally, and not to vote until the next election (meaning 2008). it seems like a voter supression type of thing. I'm sure that there are people out there who would get something like this in the mail and believe it.

personally, I called my town hall and verified that I was registered.

I guess for me the idea of anyone doing this kind of thing turns my stomach, no matter what side or party they are in. That's why I am not a member of either of the big 2.
joeshero
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickb wrote:
ocsparky101 wrote:

it's a letter mailed out telling people if they were registered to vote by the groups listed in the letter, they were registered illegally, and not to vote until the next election (meaning 2008). it seems like a voter supression type of thing. I'm sure that there are people out there who would get something like this in the mail and believe it.

personally, I called my town hall and verified that I was registered.

I guess for me the idea of anyone doing this kind of thing turns my stomach, no matter what side or party they are in. That's why I am not a member of either of the big 2.

IT is very likely that the letter is coming out from the Democrats.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The envelope is what looks suspicious to me. It doesn't have a return address on it and it has a stamp on it. If it were legitimate, I'd expect it to have a return address. I'd also think it likely that it would have a metered postage mark rather than a stamp, but perhaps not.

(But without a return address, there's no proof that the letter was actually mailed in that envelope, either, so the nickb's point is valid).

Unfortunately, if it's fake, it would seem more likely that it's Republicans, since all the groups targeted are pro-Kerry -- unless it's a convoluted plot by Dems to make it look like Republicans are trying to suppress the vote.

Regardless of who's responsible, it doesn't look good.
joeshero
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You GottaBeKidding wrote:
The envelope is what looks suspicious to me. It doesn't have a return address on it and it has a stamp on it. If it were legitimate, I'd expect it to have a return address. I'd also think it likely that it would have a metered postage mark rather than a stamp, but perhaps not.

(But without a return address, there's no proof that the letter was actually mailed in that envelope, either, so the nickb's point is valid).

Unfortunately, if it's fake, it would seem more likely that it's Republicans, since all the groups targeted are pro-Kerry -- unless it's a convoluted plot by Dems to make it look like Republicans are trying to suppress the vote.

Regardless of who's responsible, it doesn't look good.

It only takes a little brain to understand that this is very likely to be part of the Democrats' game play. Play dirty and accuse that it is really the other party which is playing dirty.

It looks to me the document is produced by the CBS' 60 minutes.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joes right!
Your supposed to think the repubs did it. But what caught my eye(and I think it sucks) is that the naacp has been electioneering for kerry, I hope they lose thier tax free standing! Evil or Very Mad
fastrock
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: DamDems Reply with quote

Think about it, ACT or ACORN or whoever will know if you registered as GOP. So they send these out to the GOPers. Metered mailed can be traced.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is as phony as the CBS NG documents. All done on a word program. Quick, maybe Dan Blather will buy it. It's a Dem trick inspired by Karl Rove. Ol' Karl is a devious sumbitch.
chemical_boy
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/01/politics/campaign/01voting.html

Quote:
in Lake County, Ohio, officials say at least a handful of voters have reported receiving a notice on phony board of elections letterhead saying that anyone who had registered through a variety of Democratic-leaning groups would not be allowed to vote this year.

In Pennsylvania, an official of the state Republican Party said it sent out 130,000 letters congratulating newly registered voters but that 10,000 were returned, indicating that the people had died or that the address was nonexistent. Mark Pfeifle, the Republican spokesman, said the numbers showed that in their zeal to register new voters, Democratic-aligned groups had committed fraud.

And in Michigan, Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land said she had to put out a statement in mid-October about where to send absentee ballots after voters in the Ann Arbor area received calls telling them to mail the ballots to the wrong address.

With lawyers and poll watchers descending on battleground states and the presidential race tight enough that every vote could count, elections officials say that charges of voter intimidation and voter fraud, on the street or in courtrooms, are flying more furiously than any one can remember in recent elections.

Much of the tone has been set by a propaganda war of sorts between the parties, with the Democrats charging that efforts are being made to suppress the vote and Republicans warning against voter fraud or double voting.

In part, the charges are designed by each party to get out their core supporters to the polls. But court battles already under way over such matters as who gets to cast provisional ballots show this is also a serious struggle that could continue in the courts after Election Day.

Democrats have tried to walk a fine line. For weeks they made charges that Republicans were working to keep down turnout and deter newly registered voters. But as Election Day has approached, they have moderated their tone, assuring voters that all will be fine at the polls, mindful of surveys showing that reports of confusion can deter voters.

In Philadelphia, where turnout among blacks is considered crucial to the Democrats winning Pennsylvania, state Democrats held a press conference last week where the Rev. Jesse Jackson assured voters there would be no disruptions at the polls. Michael Whouley, the get-out-the-vote expert at the Democratic National Committee, held a teleconference with reporters last week to insist that the reports of challenges and confusion at polling places were greatly exaggerated. "American democracy is working," he said.

Jenny Backus, another adviser to the D.N.C., said that early voting had gone smoothly, and that Election Day would too. "For all the Republican talk of beware, beware, millions of Americans are having a perfectly pleasant voting experience," she said.

Still, Democrats were putting out briefing papers outlining incidents they said were designed to suppress voting or intimidate voters.

Republicans say they are trying to prevent people from voting twice in states like Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania, where in Philadelphia the number of registered voters is almost as high as the number of voting-age residents. Ed Gillespie, the Republican national chairman, has said that in some critical places registration is even higher than the number of eligible voters, though election officials say such discrepancies can result from people moving.

Republicans also say they want to keep those ineligible, such as illegal immigrants, from voting. "I'm astonished at the lack of concern with the fraud that exists out there," said Mindy Tucker Fletcher, an adviser to the Florida Republican Party.

Republican supporters in Florida sought to capitalize on Democratic charges of voter intimidation with a radio advertisement over the weekend. "Republicans won't let us vote? They say it to distract us," says the advertisement, which the Bush campaign said was not one of its own. The ad concluded, "There is no one stopping you from voting, and if you pay attention to what these Democrats are doing instead of what they are saying, you'll vote Republican."

Caught in the middle are elections officials, trying to sort out which complaints are real.

"I have had an election year I'd never thought I'd experience in my 21 years," said Jan Clair, the director of the Lake County Elections Board in Ohio. "I've had to do so much damage control."

Watching Michael Moores every Move
Trickworm
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Bill Burkett and CBS are at it again.
sround
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the postnet barcode...trivial to decipher...will
give you the address.

Mission Accomplished!!
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the person who received this letter has the envelope and letter examined by the postal inspectors they can trace it to the sender by coding that is sprayed on the backside of the envelope. Also government entities DONT USE STAMPS _ THEY METER THEIR MAIL.

I have run mailrooms for major hotels here in Las Vegas and know quite a bit about what the postal folks can "really" trace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: