SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do the pollsters add in a percentage for the Military vote??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MissouriVeteransDaughter
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Do the pollsters add in a percentage for the Military vote?? Reply with quote

If the Military vote is 60% or more for Bush, then how does this affect what the polls are saying in some of these states, particularly Florida? I remember from the last election that Florida has a huge Military vote, and obviously the pollsters do not bother to call Iraq in order to get a balanced sample of voters when they do their polls. The more I think about ALL the various voting groups in Florida, the more I think I know why Karl Rove is so happy!!!
"Lord...Who may live on your holy hill? He whose walk is blameless and who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from his heart and has no slander on his tongue, who does his neighbor no wrong and casts no slur on his fellowman" Ps15:1-3.
fr11
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered this too - and I guarantee that Bush will get more than 60% of the military vote!
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen and heard, the military is going for Bush at about 3 or 4 to 1. If my mental math is right, that's 75-80%! Very Happy Could make a difference in those states with heavy military residency! Wink
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the Military Support of the president is closer to 90%. I doubt they are taken into consideration when figuring Poll Results.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Democrats letting the military vote this time? Shocked
tx
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have took a few of the Zogby polls. They sent to my email. The first few, after about 5 questions, they told me I was not elgible. The last 3 I have been able to take. They do ask if you or someone in household is military. They also asked about the swiftboat ads. The quesion wrong direction-right direction, I answered wrong direction. This was not because of the President. I just felt like televison, common sense, etc. was leaving our society. After watching news, and saw how they spun it. I changed it the next times. I was even asked if I would vote for scarecrow-brain or the tin man - heart. A little weird for a poll.
HawkeyeLonewolf
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trust polls especially when they monkey with the numbers with regard to weights...

The only poll that matters is Tuesday. GET OUT AND VOTE!!!
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that question of the country going in the right or wrong direction is a confounding one that can only yield confounding results.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, neverforget. I don't think the country is going in the right direction (how can it be if Kerry gets more than 2% of the vote) but I don't blame George Bush for that...

Anyone know what the point of that question is?
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The military vote is very tiny (2 million or so active duty with their families would reach about 1 percent of the voting population).

The reason it was so pivotal in the last election was that the election was so close and Florida has lots of military absentee voters (because the state has no income tax and many military people that are stationed there retain residency after they leave).

Nonetheless, the "military vote" was highlighted in the Florida recount because democratic operatives wanted to exclude military absentee ballots that either had a late postmark or no postmark. Ballots sent from ships at sea and deployed locations many times get no postmark, because there is no postage due.

Technically the lawyers were correct, and the Gore people wanted the votes not counted because they knew how they would lean.

I think many military votes went without being counted in the Florida recount. No one ever talks about those, only about the disenfranchised felon voters in the southern part of the state.

reconflyer
PhD candidate
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reconflyer wrote:
The military vote is very tiny (2 million or so active duty with their families would reach about 1 percent of the voting population).

The reason it was so pivotal in the last election was that the election was so close and Florida has lots of military absentee voters (because the state has no income tax and many military people that are stationed there retain residency after they leave).

Nonetheless, the "military vote" was highlighted in the Florida recount because democratic operatives wanted to exclude military absentee ballots that either had a late postmark or no postmark. Ballots sent from ships at sea and deployed locations many times get no postmark, because there is no postage due.

Technically the lawyers were correct, and the Gore people wanted the votes not counted because they knew how they would lean.

I think many military votes went without being counted in the Florida recount. No one ever talks about those, only about the disenfranchised felon voters in the southern part of the state.

reconflyer

I think the main reason they talk about the disenfranchised felon voters is because there were people on that list that were not felons. I, for one would hate to be on a list of felons if I were not one, and be forced to prove my innocence. I always thought that in this country it was "innocent until proven guilty". I guess that makes me naieve.
OKLady
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reconflyer wrote:

Ballots sent from ships at sea and deployed locations many times get no postmark, because there is no postage due.

A simple solution - shouldn't the ships/locations have a special postmark date stamp to mark these items like absentee ballots? surely there is a work-around for this problem - at least for the next election.
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhD candidate wrote:

I think the main reason they talk about the disenfranchised felon voters is because there were people on that list that were not felons. I, for one would hate to be on a list of felons if I were not one, and be forced to prove my innocence. I always thought that in this country it was "innocent until proven guilty". I guess that makes me naieve.

Come on, they had a few isolated instances of duplicated identity where someone had the same name as a felon but different address. Because the felon vote broke for the democrats, they wanted all the illegal votes made legal, not just the few ones in error. The opposite was true of the military vote. Because it broke for the republicans the democrats wanted it suppressed. That was the lie in their "count every vote" demand; in reality the only wanted democratic votes counted. That is why they opposed a state wide recount and insisted on only heavily democratic counties like Broward.
armybrat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhD candidate wrote:

I hope you're not a supporter of the Assault Weapons ban or any of the other "preventative" gun control laws then PhD. Hundreds of Thousands of law abiding people (not even ex-cons of questionable legal status) have been branded as criminals and had to 'prove their innocence" because of the outright stupidity of these and other bills. I guess it's ok if they don't vote democrat though?
Poposwife_Retiredarmywife
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forget something with the military vote....

You aren't just counting active duty, but wives...sisters...brothers...mothers...fathers...grown children....(basicly all family members) that are insulted and upset with the way that Mr. Kerry speaks about our service men/women.

This is why the military vote is so important. We gauge ourselves (military families) on how our loved ones are being treated. Are they being honored? (Bush) or Dishonored? (Kerry) Are they being loved and respected, or being dismissed as non entities?

Please keep that in mind and never underestimate the power of the military vote.

Lorelei
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: