SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A general thank you - and a suggested final mission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul_murphy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: A general thank you - and a suggested final mission Reply with quote

I'm Canadian: I wasn't there, but I strongly support your actions and believe you're dead right on Kerry.
<P>
Rather than just say "Thank you" and leave it at that, I have a suggestion for you: one more mission before you call it a victory and go home.
<P>
This mission is a logical extension of what you've achieved so far: call on the President and the Congress to propose and pass legislation requiring all state and federal government agencies, including the military and judiciary, to release all information they have pertaining to anyone filing for election to state or national office within 21 days of that filing.
<P>
Fundamentally that's what your battle has been about: Kerry's ability to hide the reality of his past from the voters. Extending freedom of information legislation to force full disclosure on would-be public officials would make that impossible -and generally stop them from even trying. Try to imagine, for example, how far Kerry's "reporting for duty" speech would have gone with an audience that knew his real record.
<P>
A no brainer, right? With this legislation in place the Democrats might have nominated somebody decent and thereby given the country a real choice. Right now the President owes you and about half of all American voters understand that they do too, get this passed and all literate Americans will eventually understand just how close to disaster the country came and what a great contribution you guys have made to avoiding it.
<P>
With thanks,
<P>
Rudy de Haas (Paul Murphy is the psuedonym I use to write Unix/Linux books and articles.)
tiptie
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this is a great idea!

USCG
61-69
bw
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe paul has a point..In the candidates early days the slanted pr would not have inflated his persona. The media might not have created "facts" that needed to be disputed. We don't live in an idealistic world-the power of the press/media to suppress and recreate is awsome. That tied to the acid spewing associations that poison followers, and the line of thought could go on and on-there are problems and symptoms-being above scrutiny is a problem, documents in bergers drawers a symptom. I"m proud to know i'm in the shadow of these proud Swifties but I know the acid spewers are out there.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul_murphy wrote:
...pass legislation requiring all state and federal government agencies, including the military and judiciary, to release all information they have pertaining to anyone filing for election...

That occurred to me about halfway through this effort, as I'm sure it did to many of us. I'd heartily endorse such legislation and would take it a step further to require the release of ALL financial records (Mrs. Dumpty hid much of hers) and answer candidly all questions of past performance. Any refusals would be ruled on by a neutral body of judges. In summary, Humpty secreted much from us, seems to have gotten away with it and no one this side of the West Pole likes it.
depotoo
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we all the support the swifties have here, think htis would be very viable. someon could pick one of their representatives to work on this to present for legislation. and then those here could do the foot work necessary to get the petition and signatures needed to have it brought forth.
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be American born to run for president. But aside from that there are few guidelines for suitability. That's a travesty. Quislings should be exempted from political office and their military & police records should have to be released for public view.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A general thank you - and a suggested final mission Reply with quote

Paul_murphy wrote:
Fundamentally that's what your battle has been about: Kerry's ability to hide the reality of his past from the voters. Extending freedom of information legislation to force full disclosure on would-be public officials would make that impossible

That is a superb observation and a superb point. It would keep politicians and the press on a short leash with regard to the facts.

This needs to go to the top of this organization. Every one who participated here would probably add their signature to such a petition.

-- FDL
Geano
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devil's Advocacy post:

Paul
Quote:
…legislation requiring all state and federal government agencies, including the military and judiciary, to release all information they have pertaining to anyone filing for election to state or national office within 21 days of that filing.

This looks extremely good, logical, and simple as presented, and at first reading.
However
BW
Quote:
.... the slanted pr would not have inflated his persona. The media might not have created "facts" that needed to be disputed.
…the power of the press/media to suppress and recreate is awsome.

This is the crux of the issue. It does nothing to eliminate the MSM's ability place emphasis where they choose. To ignore facts or spin them. It does nothing to prevent inflation of "good" stuff or "bad" stuff...It does not solve the information dissemination issue in a country where the citizens form their opinions from the opinions of talking heads and slanted pens.

Obviously, facts already in evidence were completely ignored by media, by their choice, for whatever motivation.

There are other ramifications of such legislation that I can dream up as a Devil's Advocate...who pays for the tremendously expanded bureaucracy? How does this affect privacy of individuals indirectly connected to the subject? How does it affect what may be military, or national, security issues? .... How does it motivate an individual citizen to search through the tremendous volumes of generated information? How does the Citizen in fact determine the veracity of some of the information?

I am not satisfied that all citizens need, or desire, to know all facts. But MSM as a source does not allow the citizen to choose what he/she can utilize. The facts remain obscured in spin and fog, regardless of the MSM's source.

Simplest thing would be the method we are using now...the legislation would require all relevant state/county/federal agencies to post web sites with records on the individual coded for open access when candidacy papers are filed, and allowing anyone to access them whenever they choose to. Then we can watch the sites "go down" at crucial times... or continuous 404 errors. I have run into this numerous times in my research so far...got the info, go back a day later and it's mysteriously 404.

However, I feel that this is an enormous can of worms... wasp larvae, actually, that will rise up and sting us if we are not careful...

There are already laws and regulations that require individual and corporate disclosure of certain facts. Are they obeyed? No. Are they enforced? Usually not unless somebody like us, has the means to force an appropriate agency to accountability. FOIA was an attempt to allow access...how easy is that???How simple to get all the records Laughing How quickly can a person get them without a lawsuit Laughing Look at the FBI records, yeah, try to figure out the redacted spaces Laughing

Whoa, Geano, get off the box!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: