SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lets just call this "off topic"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poacher
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tews. Through the lack of real punishment we have now lost control over our younger generation. To approach a young person in this country now to reprimand him, for say, the use of bad swearing in, front of your wife , you are likely to head your head smashed in. The heroes here now are dirty unwashed pop idols who are having an wicked influence on our young. The go unchecked.
Because of the mamby pamby corps we have lost so much. Humane rights is becoming a problem wherby the bad are ruling the good because their humane rights are being infringed.
If only you had an easier immigration policy, and my better half agreed I would join you all like a shot, to get away from the clutches of Europe.
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean that we can finally get on with the Robert Blake trial?

Twisted Evil
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poacher, I suppose you could learn Spanish and give it a go from Nogales or Tijuana. Do you know how to do yard work?

Seriously, I fully understand your frustration and hope the trend can be reversed. As Snipe's post preceeding mine indicates, we are moving into a "bread and circus" culture ourselves where "reality" TV shows and an annual celebrity murder trial are staples of our entertainment.
Inatizzy
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue9t3 wrote:
Scotts family and O.J. could carpool (save bucks) looking for the "real killer"------Ya Buddy! Wink

Hey hey now, don't diss OJ. He's been looking for that killer on every golf course in America. Rolling Eyes

But seriously, Peterson is a sociopath. He's totally emotionless. Cool as a cucumber. No guilt or guile. He feels nothing. That's how he can seem innocent.

But he's guilty as sin. IMNSHO. Hopefully he will get life in prison. Which should be about 4 months. The Chicano gangs will be after him. He's a white boy who killed a Hispanic girl....and his unborn baby. They will consider it a badge of honor to be the one to kill him. His life is over one way or another.
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: I wonder... Reply with quote

tractorsq wrote:
I wonder how lazy prosicuters are going to get now if all they have to produce is; It could of happened this way or maybe he did this or that. No evidence needed anymore. Maybe Scott is guilty but the burden of proof was very week and reasonable doubt was very high. I think if Scott tossed the anchors first then his wife over the side of the boat the outside would be scratched up by cement anchors or if he tossed the body first then the inside would be scratched by the anchors.

Whoa!!--There was way more than "no evicence" in this case, as was outlined above--I also think this case is an excellent acquittal of circumstantial evidence--I remember hearing a friend of mine who's a Cook County Circuit Court judge say once that he thinks that it's funny that so many people buy-in to the made-for-TV premise that circumstantial evidence is somehow unworthy or to be dismissed--He was laughing and saying "Circumstantial evidence is EVIDENCE!--That's how it got it's name, for Heaven's sake!!"--

Personally, the fact that he was making cell phone calls to his paramour FROM THE CANDLELIGHT VIGIL......OMG!!!!.......and the fact that so many of his words and actions from the very beginning and throughout the four months between when Laci disappeared and when her body washed-up and he was arrested demonstrated pretty plainly that he knew that Laci was never coming back--

And how much of a coincidence would it have been that someone other than Scott kidnapped her and then disposed of the body in the very spot where he had gone fishing.......where he had never been fishing before........when he'd told everyone else that he was going to play golf that day.......and no one even knew that he'd bought a boat--And oh, by the way, when the police asked him what he'd been fishing for, he "coudln't remember"--Remember, too, that by the time the details of where he said he'd been that day became public information, the police were already there all the time looking for the body, so it would have been a little problematic for someone to dump a body there so as to frame Scott then--

Then he promptly sold her car and got himself a new truck with the proceeds--

And he started talking to a realtor about selling the house, preferrably with all their furnishings in it--

He told an interviewer that he couldn't bear to even the open the door to the nursery that Laci had been preparing for the baby and wouldn't set foot in that room again until she and the baby came back--But shortly thereafter, the police went through the house again and, lo and behold!, he'd been using the baby's room, with the crib and other baby furniture still in it, as a storage room for boxes and junk that hadn't been in there when they'd previously examined the house--

Then there was a day when the police were dragging the bay looking for Laci and he tells everyone that he's going to Bakersfield to distribute "missing Laci" fliers and calls his mother during the day and tells her that that's where he is and what he's doing, but his cell phone records indicate that he was, in fact, back at the bay........in the totally opposite direction from where he said he was.......presumably watching to see what, if anything, the police found--

And would a man who was desperate to find his pregnant wife be calling his mistress and telling her that things in his life were really pretty hectic for him right then but that in a month or so (by which time, he probably assumed, the case would have gone cold and he'd be under less scrutiny) he'd have more time to spend with her?--That doesn't sound like someone who's hoping to have a wife and newborn baby around in a few weeks to me--

And he made four concrete anchors for his boat, but the police can only find one of them--(And why would he need four anchors for that dinky little boat, anyway?)--

The bottom line is that there was a whole string of stuff, and in addition there's his disguised appearance and a ton of money and his brother's IDs and a carful of camping equipment in his car when they finally picked him up--Frankly, the circumstantial case that the prosecution presented, coupled with the fact that the standard of proof is only beyond a reasonable doubt (as opposed to beyond any doubt) and the fact that no one has ever come up with a shred of evidence indicating any other credible scenario (unless you buy the "Skeeter and Dirty" story that Geragos floated to the press before the trial but didn't even consider to be credible enough himself to bring it up at trial) would have been quite enough to convince me that Laci was murdered and Scott did it unless the defense was able to clearly refute it by demonstrating that he'd been in Uzbekistan at the time or something--And frankly, the defense case just plain wasn't there--

I think that the jury made the right decision and just hope that the trial holds-up on appeal so that that little rodent never again gets to know a moment's freedom or peace ever again--This is one of those cases where I hope he gets life instead of the needle, frankly--He's a young man and my sense of justice enjoys the prospect of him spending the next forty or fifty years in a cell remembering every day why he is where he is and how much simpler, in retrospect, divorce would have been--C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: