SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drudge: Peter Jennings has Lung Cancer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Drudge: Peter Jennings has Lung Cancer Reply with quote

http://www.drudgereport.com/
SOURCES: Yesterday afternoon he was diagnosed with lung cancer... MORE...
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wish nobody ill, especially this type of thing, but he has been a heavy smoker of cigarettes. In this day where the ultralibs have run their antismoking campaigns, why would a liberal keep smoking? I lost my dad to smoking related causes, I do not smoke cigarettes. An occasional cigar maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a hard time quiting. I never smoked a pack a day, but a smoke is a smoke. This just gives me more of an incentive to stop. However according to Dr. Rosenthall on Fox News this morning it really does not matter.....if you quit smoking like my Dad did in his thirties, he is 74 now, you could still get cancer because you did smoke. So you cannot win the way he explained it....so my advise to all is never start. I wish I never did. Thank God my Dad never came down with lung cancer or any other cancer and I pray to the Lord He shows me the same favor He has showed my father.

I truly feel bad for Peter Jennings. Liberal or not, I do not wish ill on anyone. I will be praying for him while I am praying that the Lord help me to quit smoking. Such a horrible habit to break. Pray for me that I quit and do not ever receive the ill effects from having smoked.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He came on at the end of the newscast tonight and announced his cancer. He handled it with an impressive amount of strength, class and humor.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit in '78, cold turkey, after more than 35 years mostly on Pall Mall reds. The kotex on the end of the other ones took all the flavor out of them.

The thought of cancer never scared me but when the sawbones told me I had a touch of infazema that scared the hell out of me. the thought of huffing and puffing to get a breath did it
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the service as a Medical technician I was assistant an several autopsies and was stunned by the coal black lungs (no exaggeration) of heavy smokers. This convinced me that the inhalation of cigarette smoke was something to be avoided. Later in observing the inhalation of a 2-3 pack a day habit of relatives and friends (that is extremely hard to overcome) I can only say words of encouragment to any who want to quit. Now, I like a good cigar now and then and will accept that as it is. But one doesn't inhale them. I've seen folks inhale a full drag in a cigarette and hold, exhaling virtually nothing. Smok'em if you got 'em , but realize what you are doing. You are making a personal chioce.
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right it is a personal choice. I consciously chose to start smoking again after quitting for five years. I went from 0 to a pack a day in one week, then to four packs a day by the second week. I was running five miles a day and chain smoking the rest of the time. 15 years later when I quit the second time, I was still doing about 3 packs a day.

I was buying them over the Internet from Indian web sites because they raised the taxes here in La-La-Land (California) to force people to stop smoking. I had been thinking about quitting before they did that, then decided I wasn't going to let some half-wit idiot liberal tell me what to do. And I wasn't going to ever pay their damn tax again. Sometimes I went to Tijuana, Mexico to buy them because you could bring them in duty free.

When I decided to quit, it was a major pain. I was unable to quit cold turkey like I had when I was in the Army. I finally started using both the patch and the gum. Using one or the other didn't work for me. Yeah, they tell you not to do that. Screw 'em, using both worked for me.

If you are a smoker and you have decided to quit, you should try the patch or the gum (or both, if you're a regular smoke factory like me). A lot of doctors and health plans offer help or counselling. It doesn't hurt to use it.

I quit the last time in 2000. Unlike the first time I quit, now when I smell smoke it doesn't attract me, it doesn't make me remember how good Marlboros taste, or Lucky's. Taiwan, where I lived for 11 years, had a local brand called Long Lifes that tasted like Lucky Strikes with a filter. Pretty good, and cheap. I smoked 4 packs a day of that stuff for 10 years.

So I might die at 60 or 65 instead of 75 or 80. If you live too long stuff falls off or quits working.

I hope Peter Jennings beats his cancer.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Talman anyone? I'l await the response.

Johnny Carson smoked 3 packs of Pall Malls a day. I know 'cause he'd smoke mine and thought I was stealing his!. He didn't want to be the doddering spectacle Bob Hope had become and kept his debility and final days (miserable as they were) to himself.

Few know that Columbus missed the Americas but did discover/or had presented to him the most glorious product of the Americas, tobak. Within a century it was a commercial crop across the globe(addictive? you bet!). A century later its contribution to 'black lung' death was recognized but marginalized by prevailing 'death from other causes' and its benefit of appetite suppression and 'mental enhancement'.

Many things will kill you and if you live long enough, tobacco can be a strong candidate. Genetics are a strong predicter and I'm grateful my grandfathers smoked 20 cigars a day, ate highly saturated fats, drank whiskey clear and died in their 90s (their lungs were not the problem). Moreover, statistics and federally funded studies will tell you that whatever your cause of death, if ever you smoked it is the reason.

I'm not saying that lung cancer or emphazema are pleasant ways to die but neither are they diseases of youth. When Talman did his thing 70% of us smoked, and smoked alkalai coffin nails, cancer sticks or in the trade, nicotine delivery systems. Today, less than 25% follow the old ways and instead we die from the ramifications of obesity; diabetes and heart disease. You are going to die, unpleasantly, expensively but die.

To date no study shows that death early from tobacco does not save SS, pension outlays or hospital expense. The pretension of States Attorney Generals serves only the lawyers and smokers are judicially excluded. Taxes constitute the greater percentage of cigarette cost than the tobacco companies. Figure 25cents cost to manufacture a pack of smokes, the tobacco compamies take 70 cents and the rest is tax......but don't forget the tobacco companies pay from their share AG costs, counter advertising and a suppression of the 1st admendment.

The past few years I've grown my own tobacco. It would be easier to grow pot. Then there would be no restrictions.

I'm reminded of a '87 study by the 7th Fleet. HIVwise the Philipines and Korea with legal prostitution were cleaner than San Francisco (Alameda) and San Diego were there was no prostitution (ahemm, ahemm) and the girls just gave it away.

-Wlm Shakespeare

Last edited by I B Squidly on Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:27 am; edited 4 times in total
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly,

Yes, but if I remember correctly, in Korea both you and the local have to each wear two wet suits to avoid life-threatening diseases. That kinda limits the benefits, if you know what I mean.

I was in An-jong-ni (Camp Humphries), south and east of Osan AB, 1980 and 1981. Yeah, for the Army it's a one-year "hardship" tour. An E-4 can live a good life there, with an apartment, somebody to clean it and cook for you, and shine your shoes.

I extended my tour, which had HQ scratching their heads. (Does he think he is Klinger from MASH? Is he trying for a section 8? Has anybody else ever tried to extend a tour here? God, how do we do that?) I love messing with officers. I was able to live a comfortable life and pay off all my bills. It sure beat Ft. Bragg.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotsa_Static:
Don't know why I tacked on that last sentence. It's a different subject entirely, but a fascinating one, deserving of its own, appallingly incorrect thread.

Never made Osan but made several visits to Pusan and Chin Hei. Neither port created the 'clap line' in front of Sick Bay as did Oolongapo. The biggest problem were guys making deals on the street instead of connecting with the established 'hospitality houses' with weekly inspections.

The ultimate billet for my rate, Signalman was tug driver Subic SRF. It wasn't for the high culture.

-Wlm Shakespeare
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly:

Quote:
The ultimate billet for my rate, Signalman was tug driver Subic SRF. It wasn't for the high culture.

God Bless America!

When I was in Korea, you had to grab a condom before you could leave post. That's probably a good thing. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: