SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What if we placed a BS story of Islamists burning the bible?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: What if we placed a BS story of Islamists burning the bible? Reply with quote

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1611925,00.html

Any MSM can try to get the attention of the internet savvy peeps and try to piss them off at the current govt...... but what if we did the same thing to counter their non-compliant patratism? We as a whole would say that it is immoral to lie to work up the hate they have evoked.... but what if that is our only option?

note: Edited to correct BBCode
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they had only burned a copy of the bible.
They burned our captured people, and they burned Our USA flag.
We don't have to lie about it. They did it.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they completely fail to mention that it was the $#%@&# detainees THEMSELVES who tried to flush pages of the Qu'ran down the commodes in an attempt to stop them up!

Evil or Very Mad

Thank you, Newsweek - hell-bent on creating trouble for the United States even where none exists!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH and NOW, Newsweek comes out and apologizes for their story because they were in error.

Too bad nine people had to DIE before they retracted their freakin' fabrication!

Quote:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156591,00.html
NEW YORK — Newsweek magazine Sunday apologized for a May 9 report alleging U.S. interrogators flushed the Quran down the toilet at Guantanamo Bay, an allegation that had prompted attacks in Pakistan, Afghanistan and the Gaza Strip that left 15 dead and scores more injured.

"We regret that we got any part of our story wrong and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst," Editor Mark Whitaker wrote in the magazine's latest issue.

In response to the demonstrations and subsequent deadly clashes that sparked promises by the U.S. for an investigation, about 500 Islamic scholars and tribal elders gathered in Faizabad (search), 310 miles northeast of Afghanistan's capital, Kabul (search). The scholars called for a resolution mandating anyone found to have abused the Quran (search) to be punished, said Maulawi Abdul Wali Arshad, head of the religious affairs department in Badakhshan province.

Arshad and the provincial police chief said the scholars demanded a "reaction" from U.S. authorities within three days, but they denied reports that the scholars threatened to declare a holy war if the deadline was not respected.

The controversial Newsweek report said U.S. military investigators found evidence that interrogators had placed copies of Islam's holy book in washrooms and had flushed one down the toilet in efforts to get inmates to talk.

Whitaker wrote that the magazine's information came from "a knowledgeable U.S. government source," and before publishing the item, writers Michael Isikoff and John Barry sought comment from two Defense Department officials. One declined to respond, and the other challenged another part of the story but did not dispute the Quran charge, Whitaker said.

But on Friday, a top Pentagon spokesman told the magazine that a review of the military's investigation concluded: "It was never meant to look into charges of Quran desecration." The spokesman also said the Pentagon had investigated "other desecration charges by detainees and found them 'not credible."'

Whitaker added that the magazine's original source later said he could not be sure he read about the alleged Quran incident in the report they cited, and that it might have been in another document.

"Top administration officials have promised to continue looking into the charges, and so will we," Whitaker wrote.

On Aug. 1, 2002, an FBI agent who went to Gitmo made a report detailing statements from a detainee who said a U.S. official had flushed the Quran, sources told FOX News. The FBI did not confirm that this allegation was true, but it did pass on a report about the detainee statement to the Department of Defense, U.S. officials said.

Several U.S. officials told FOX News they have no evidence of the incident, which they said could have been triggered by a released detainee making unfounded allegations.

On Thursday, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Richard Myers said a guard claimed a detainee was ripping pages out of a Quran and putting them in the toilet to stop it up as a protest.

Officials at Guantanamo keep detailed logs of detainee actions,
as well as what at times have been considered questionable countermeasures taken by guards that human rights groups have charged amount to abuse, officials said.

Many of the 520 inmates at Guantanamo are Muslims arrested during the U.S.-led war against the Taliban and its Al Qaeda allies in Afghanistan.

National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley said in a televised interview that the allegations were being investigated "vigorously."

"If it turns out to be true, obviously we will take action against those responsible," he said.

Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ax should fall on them big time.
they should lose their license to operate and be shut down.
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the editors should be required to go to some Islamic Countries where the riots broke out over it and "explain" why it's a lie. Shocked
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is their email address to send them a statement how they personally are responsible for the deaths and increased hatred for the US and our troops. They should be held accountable and suffer monetarily.
Bob51
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
to Muslims, defacing the Holy Book is especially heinous. "We can understand torturing prisoners, ...," says computer teacher Muhammad Archad, interviewed last week by NEWSWEEK ... "But insulting the Qur'an ... This we cannot tolerate."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7857407/site/newsweek/

Hmm., "computer teachers" who "can understand" torturing prisoners. Something missing in his education, I think.

Let's hope he never does a master's in robotics or telepresence.

Bob51
Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:
What is their email address to send them a statement how they personally are responsible for the deaths and increased hatred for the US and our troops. They should be held accountable and suffer monetarily.

I am with Mr. Boone on this one. This blatently false reporting has dealt a serious blow to my fellow soldiers deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq. Twisted Evil

This is tantamount to yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater, and this cannot go unchecked.

I have received e-mails from a couple of friends currently deployed in Iraq, and this has hit them hard with increased protests and increased animosity from the Iraqis.

As Mr. Boone stated, I hold them responsible personally responsible, unfortunately, there is no system of checks and balances in the MSM.

They can report whatever they like, and damned the consequences.Evil or Very Mad

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colonel Hunt a Fox News analyst summed it up best for me:

"It's outrageous, I think it's accessory to murder," said Fox News military analyst Col. David Hunt, now retired from the Army.

"This is a lie. This is [a] criminal act as far as I'm concerned. People died," Hunt told Fox interviewer Geraldo Rivera. "A lot worse things should happen to Newsweek than ... making this half-assed apology."

"It's treasonous at worst," Hunt added. "How about not hurting the war? How about causing no harm? I think Newsweek should lose every reader it ever had."

Read the full article here at WND:

www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44284

Cancel those Newsweek subscriptions and make you voice heard thru your wallet.

Candy-assed journalists!

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on, COL Hunt!

And I would gladly cancel any subscription I had, but we did that yearrrrrs ago and I may have purchased a total of three Newsweeks on the stands in the years since. (Challenger and Columbia explosions are the two that I remember. Oh, and the 9-11 issue)

I have to settle for writing disdainful letters to the editor. I know nobody reads them but bots, but it makes me feel better. I think it does more good if I post my rants on bulletin boards like this one, where someone has a snowball's chance of seeing what I'm trying to say and understanding.

This is not a simple matter of getting a story "wrong." This is a case of blind ideology (that of anti-American and especially anti-Bush editorial policy) overrunning their common sense.

Or as we used to say in the Navy, "Their mouths overran their @sses."

And people died for it.

Who knows how many more will die from the anti-American zealotry they have stirred up?

They have blood on their hands.

Blood money.

I wouldn't want to have to answer for what they've done.
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob51 wrote:
Hmm., "computer teachers" who "can understand" torturing prisoners. Something missing in his education, I think.

Ah, I see you've never had to deal with programmers, then... Rolling Eyes

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newsweek doesn't mind sacrificing a few (or even many) Muslims to achieve their greater goal of embarrassing the Bush Administration. Even just a little.
susanlprince
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine if a person died each time the news got a fact wrong in a report? *gasp*

The rioters have the responsibility for the deaths on their hands. It's a bit of an overreaction don't you think?

People must be responsible for their own actions...yes, Newsweek should be held accountable for the inaccuracies they reported, but can we really hold them responsible for people who got out of control and killed each other over it?

Islam, a peaceful religion, and this is yet another example.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letters@newsweek.com

...and the lunatic knuckleheads are already suggesting that this was Rovian planted disinformation a la the Rather "setup"...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: