SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACLU fights abstinence program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: ACLU fights abstinence program Reply with quote

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=44973

LAW OF THE LAND
ACLU fights abstinence program
Claims federal funding is endorsement of religion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: June 25, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

"The ACLU is in federal court trying to strike down federal funding for an abstinence-based sex education program, calling it an unconstitutional endorsement of religion.

The program, by a group called the Silver Ring Thing, allows teens to sign a voluntary pledge to abstain from sexual activity until marriage and wear a ring as a reminder of the vow."

~snip~
"Abstinence-only education is an important message for all, and studies show it is effective," Oster explained. "The government provides funding for that very reason. The fact that the ACLU would oppose SRT despite the success of such programs exposes the ACLU's agenda and horribly misplaced priorities."
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Anarchist Criminal's Libertine Union is more like it, They represent nothing in line with the law except to nullify it.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GM Strong"]The Anarchist Criminal's Libertine Union is more like it, They represent nothing in line with the law except to nullify it.[/quote]

GM

May I congratulate you on your correcting the ACLU's monicker....and sincerely request your permission to borrow it every now and then. Gotta pass that one around, if you please!

Don't think I 've seen such a concise definition of their mission ...ever! and you're spot on.....kinda makes me wonder who's side of the jihad (War on TError) that the ACLU, Kennedy, and Soros are on....and if they are really stupid enough to believe that the jihadis will welcome them with open arms into their camp if the anarchists ever succeed!!!!
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deuce wrote:
GM Strong wrote:
The Anarchist Criminal's Libertine Union is more like it, They represent nothing in line with the law except to nullify it.

GM

May I congratulate you on your correcting the ACLU's monicker....and sincerely request your permission to borrow it every now and then. Gotta pass that one around, if you please!

Don't think I 've seen such a concise definition of their mission ...ever! and you're spot on.....kinda makes me wonder who's side of the jihad (War on TError) that the ACLU, Kennedy, and Soros are on....and if they are really stupid enough to believe that the jihadis will welcome them with open arms into their camp if the anarchists ever succeed!!!!

You like it, you may spread it far and wide. (I think Ronald Reagan said something to the point as it doesn't matter who gets the credit as long as the job gets done.) That idea is for public use.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abstinence is not an endorsement of Religion, it is a very effective way of preventing STD's, unwanted pregnancy in our young girls as well being the only 100% fool proof method of doing so.

"WHAT ABOUT ABSTINENCE?" by ROBERT LAYTON
I WAS HOLDING A NOTICE FROM my 13-year-old son's school announcing a meeting to preview the new course in sexuality. Parents could examine the curriculum and take part in an actual lesson presented exactly as it would be given to the students.

When I arrived at the school, I was surprised to discover only about a dozen parents there. As we waited for the presentation, I thumbed through page after page of instructions in the prevention of pregnancy or disease. I found abstinence mentioned only in passing. When the teacher arrived with the school nurse, she asked if there were any questions. I asked why abstinence did not play a noticeable part in the material.

What happened next was shocking.

There was a great deal of laughter, and someone suggested that if I thought abstinence had any merit, I should go back to burying my head in the sand.

The teacher and the nurse said nothing as I drowned in a sea of embarrassment. My mind had gone blank, and I could think of nothing to say.

The teacher explained to me that the job of the school was to teach "facts," and the home was responsible for moral training.

I sat in silence for the next 20 minutes as the course was explained. The other parents seemed to give their unqualified support to the materials.

"Donuts, at the back," announced the teacher during the break. "I'd like you to put on the name tags we have prepared-they're right by the donuts-and mingle with the other parents. Everyone moved to the back of the room.

As I watched them affixing their name tags and shaking hands, I sat deep in thought. I was ashamed that I had not been able to convince them to include a serious discussion of abstinence in the materials. I uttered a silent prayer for guidance.

My thoughts were interrupted by the teacher's hand on my shoulder. "Won't you join the others, Mrs. Layton?" The nurse smiled sweetly at me. "The donuts are good."

"Thank you, no," I replied.

"Well, then, how about a name tag? I'm sure the others would like to meet you."

"Somehow I doubt that," I replied.

"Won't you please join them?" she coaxed.

"I'll just wait here," I said.

When the class was called back to order, the teacher looked around the long table and thanked everyone for putting on name tags. She ignored me.

Then she said, "Now we're going to give you the same lesson we'll be giving your children. Everyone please peel off your name tags." I watched in silence as the tags came off.

"Now, then, on the back of one of the tags, I drew a tiny flower. Who has it, please?"

The gentleman across from me held it up. "Here it is!"

"All right," she said. "The flower represents disease. Do you recall with whom you shook hands?"

He pointed to a couple of people.

"Very good," she replied. "The handshake in this case represents intimacy. So the two people you had contact with now have the disease."

There was laughter and joking among the parents.

The teacher continued, "And whom did the two of you shake hands with?"

The point was well taken, and she explained how this lesson would show students how quickly disease is spread.

"Since we all shook hands, we all have the disease."

"Speak now, I thought, "but be humble."

I noted wryly the latter admonition, then rose from my chair.

I apologized for any upset I might have caused earlier, congratulated the teacher on an excellent lesson that would impress the youth, and concluded by saying I had only one small point I wished to make.

"Not all of us were infected," I said. "One of us ... abstained."
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How sweet the feeling. As Ben Franklin said, " The sting in any rebuke is the truth." You nailed it.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON!!! What a great story!

Chastity programs are sweeping the country. The most effective ones are (gasp!) theology-based.

Young people have a hunger for LOVE and some of these chastity programs are filling that hunger with real food for the soul and strength for the intellect and body.

I highly recommend Jason Evert's "Pure Love" talk for junior high and up - I prefer the Catholic-school version to the secular school version, but either are excellent and you can listen to them here: (about mid-way down the page) http://www.catholic.com/seminars/evert.asp. He's high-powered and hilarious and hard-hitting!

His book, If You Really Love Me is a powerful tool for helping your children to understand the benefits of chastity.

Love that story, Lew!

And thanks for the correct nomenclature of the ACLU, GM! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: