SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update: The Great Raid premiering Aug 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Update: The Great Raid premiering Aug 12 Reply with quote

I have high hopes for this movie. Hoping Hollywood doesn't screw it up. My dad was an Army Ranger in WWII and was involved in some of the rescues that went on in the Philippines. Today would have been his 89th birthday. Forever proud of you Daddy!

http://www.miramax.com/the_great_raid/

Quote:
The Great Raid Synopsis:
true story of the 6th Ranger Battalion, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Henry Mucci (Bratt) who undertake a daring rescue mission against all odds. Traveling thirty miles behind enemy lines, the 6th Ranger Battalion aims to liberate over 500 American prisoners-of-war from the notorious Cabanatuan Japanese POW camp in the most audacious rescue ever.

View trailer:

http://movies.channel.aol.com/movie/main.adp?tab=trailers&mid=16086

Last edited by Rdtf on Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf...

You have a father who left you a legacy of honor and service. Thanks for the heads-up on this docu-drama.

Here's a little more background on the tragic story of the WWII Phillipines theatre...from Ollie North's "War Stories"...

Quote:
War Stories: Survivors Recall Japanese POW Camps
Saturday, July 16, 2005
War Stories with Oliver North
Retaking the Philippines

During the first three months of 1942, life became a living hell for nearly 80,000 U.S. and Filipino troops amid the throes of World War II (search). Thousands died at the hands of the Japanese, and many others were tortured or killed in prisons scattered across the Philippines.

Some survived. This is their story.

On Dec. 7, 1941, the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor (search) plunged the United States into war with Japan.

In early 1942 on the island of Corregidor, Gen. Douglas MacArthur (search) followed President Franklin Roosevelt’s orders to retreat to Australia amid concerns the general might land in the Japanese invaders’ hands.

This island was the last American stronghold, and when MacArthur and his troops were outnumbered, he retreated, leaving behind some 76,000 starving American and Filipino troops. But the general vowed to return.

The remaining troops were forced to retreat to the Bataan Peninsula.

The siege on Bataan lasted four months. Hungry and desperate, U.S. troops went from half-rations to quarter-rations, then were reduced to eating pythons, lizards and snails. Monsoons, tropical rainstorms and mud and filth proved debilitating.

The food situation is deteriorating; their health is deteriorating. And so many of these men were dying of malaria,” said Hampton Sides, author of "Ghost Soldiers.”

According to historian Bill Breuer, who chronicled MacArthur's South Pacific campaign in his book "Retaking the Philippines,“ "Their grenades wouldn't explode they were so old; their shells wouldn't explode they were so old. They didn't have enough medicine. …They knew that they were sacrificial lambs.”

With little choice, Gen. Edward King defied orders and surrendered.

FOX News - cont'd
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am losing my mind or reading the wrong books but my understanding is that Bataan feel first and then Corrigedor. The Bataan Death March was over by the time Corrigedor fell in April 1942 and the Corrigedor survivors were marched through Manila.

So there would not have been a retreat to Bataan as stated in the article (The remaining troops were forced to retreat to the Bataan Peninsula.)

I found this article that may help explain things: http://home.pacbell.net/fbaldie/In_Retrospect.html

Regards,
Dick
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure - but the movie is about the Cabanatuan rescue.
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read about the raid in a great book "Ghost Soldiers" by Hampton Sides.

I live in CT. & travel the Col Mucci highway everyday so was always interested in what he did in the service.

So far no article in the local papers about the movie coming out.?

It's a really great story, I hope they do justice to the Filipino gurrillas, who helped a lot. & also the alamo scouts.

"We are all ghost now"
"But once we were men"
from an unsigned diary recovered from Cabanatuan camp

Leeman
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange - I heard on Fox just yesterday that it would be out this weekend, but the release date I see is listed as 8/12.
http://movies.channel.aol.com/movie/main.adp?mid=16086

Leeman- I did read Ghost Soldiers - great book. My dad never talked much at all about the war, but he did mention the guerillas and had this cool knife one of them gave him. He spoke fondly of them. He paid a high price for being over there, he ended up with Malaria and had sort of a nervous breakdown. Was never the same again.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,34147,00.html

Quote:
Baatan: To Hell and Back

Sunday, August 7 at 8 p.m. ET!
Hosted by Oliver North

This week "War Stories" brings you the story of how a small group of American rangers were called upon to rescue over 500 American and Allied prisoners of war from a hellish place in the Phillipines called Cabanatuan.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the PI! Tried to tell the Navy it was my home of record at discharge...they didn't buy it. It wasn't just what a bag of M&Ms could get you and the LBFMs, but the lush greenery (home of record was Phoenix...), the variety of fresh fish served three times a day for a month without repeat, the balmy evenings on warm beaches bathed in spectacular sunsets, the refreshing mountain climbs releaved by rushing rills, the...ohh, damn that Pinatubo! The darkside? Dysentery lurked in the water, malaria loves the tropics, bacteria and fungi threatened to eat you and all your possessions, and the government was as corrupt as anyplace with that spanish/catholic/oligarchic legacy. It's not really a healthful climate for big nosed 'mercanos with a sense of common law. Surviving the Japanese camps is nothing short of miraculous.

The inability of the US to project power and supply to the Philipines in early '42 spelled doom for any commander but MacCarthur's performance was as disgraceful as anything since Braxton Bragg. Mac was in the PI because after he ordered the destuction of the 'Bonus Army' in DC he was considered antithetical to democratic government, bad press for the military, and traded his commission to become Generalissimo of the Philipines. He frustrated his air commander and destroyed his airwing. He refused to believe the Japanese would land at Lingayen with it's access to the central Luzon plain and when apprized of his mistake ordered the precipitous retreat to Bataan with an inaddequate supply train across the Japanese line of advance. Corregidor, the piece of rock an arm's length off Bataan 'guarded' the entrance to Manila Bay and was obsolete so, Mac' holed up there. Magsaysay, the Philipine president paid him over a million dollars to hang tough but "Bug Out Doug" caught the first PT boat out of town...."an heroic rescue" ....for the PT skippers. 60,000 Japanese found themselves with 90,000 POWs in a hostile country and couldn't kill them fast enough!

Inchon was Doug's greatest achievement and he threw it all away with a stand-down on the eve of the Chinese advance. Alexander Haig assigned to his headquarters as a first posting out of USMA said it wasn't a military headquarters, it was a public relations office and the 'boss' had more protocols than the Emperor of Japan.

Like father, like son Doug was beholden to his mother. Doug's father commanded a division at Missionary Ridge in the Chattanooga battles of 1863. The divisions below the ridge were ordered by Grant to 'demonstrate' while Sherman's corps attacked on the left. Sherman screwed up and the troops tired of being targets, 'mutinied' and took the ridge on their own and won the the field. Doug's father went up to see what the hell was going on and caught up with his troops when they realized their over-extension. His wife, Doug's mother and her wealthy family spent 20+ years lobbying to get him the CMH for his troops 'mutiny'. He then led the first US troops into the PI in 1898 and arrogantly triggered a nasty, brutish, guerilla war. The 45 was invented because standard issue 38s wouldn't stop crazed Philipinos with Bolo knives (pay attention RDTF).

Sorry for all the the blather. But, Doug was the sorriest piece of self-aggrandizing sh!t ever to wear 4 stars!

-Wlm Shakespeare
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see the movie this afternoon- seems they stayed true to the story and real characters. At the end they show tons of real footage while running credits, and with not a dry eye in the place not a single person left until the lights came on - and not before the whole place errupted in applause. It was great! You'll love it.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the movie and it was very good. My Grandfather on my mothers side was disabled on the left side of his body for life from fighting while in Luzon, although which phase of the Luzon battles noone seems to know. My father says he was part of the Bataan Death March, yet my mother says he was part of the force that liberated Luzon. Thing is my Grandfather never discussed WWII with anyone other then my Grandmother and at his funeral the only thing shown was his medals and a brief he got put into a coma for 1 month from fighting in Luzon. Another interesting thing about my Grandfather is he never talked with anyone from the military after the war.

He died last year.

The only thing I have been able to find out about him in relation to the war on the web is his grave marker.

SORENSEN, HJALMER C
TSGT US ARMY
WORLD WAR II
DATE OF BIRTH: 11/29/1917
DATE OF DEATH: 01/12/2004
BURIED AT: SECTION 49A SITE 4707
RIVERSIDE NATIONAL CEMETERY

If anyone can find more info I would appreciate it.

btw I B, my family who fought in WWII could not stand MacArthur, yet loved Nimitz
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought ya'll find this interesting - Spielberg and Tom Cruise were all set to make this movie, even bought the rights to Ghost Soldiers, but Miramax beat them to it with 'The Great Raid'.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,9426,00.html
Quote:

Spielberg, Cruise Reenlist in "Soldiers"
by Josh Grossberg
Jan 25, 2002, 12:05 PM PT

http://www.countingdown.com/movies/502399/board?viewpost=2933945
Quote:
Ghost Soldiers no longer in development
I hate to break this to everyone, but according to Dreamworks, Spielberg has dropped out of the project and it looks like that the film will not be made. The reason being is because of "The Great Raid" by Miramax. "The Great Raid" and Ghost Soldiers is too similar, and Dreamworks felt that it would be unwise to do another movie about the same subject. Apparently it looked like it was a race. While Miramax and Dreamworks both announced a movie based on the book, it was Miramax who got there first
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
Saw the movie and it was very good. My Grandfather on my mothers side was disabled on the left side of his body for life from fighting while in Luzon, although which phase of the Luzon battles noone seems to know. My father says he was part of the Bataan Death March, yet my mother says he was part of the force that liberated Luzon. Thing is my Grandfather never discussed WWII with anyone other then my Grandmother and at his funeral the only thing shown was his medals and a brief he got put into a coma for 1 month from fighting in Luzon. Another interesting thing about my Grandfather is he never talked with anyone from the military after the war.

He died last year.

The only thing I have been able to find out about him in relation to the war on the web is his grave marker.

SORENSEN, HJALMER C
TSGT US ARMY
WORLD WAR II
DATE OF BIRTH: 11/29/1917
DATE OF DEATH: 01/12/2004
BURIED AT: SECTION 49A SITE 4707
RIVERSIDE NATIONAL CEMETERY

If anyone can find more info I would appreciate it.

btw I B, my family who fought in WWII could not stand MacArthur, yet loved Nimitz

GenXr your situation sounds similar to mine. I only have small bits of info and a few pics. Here are some web sites for you to visit, maybe they can help-

http://www.rangerfamily.org/index.html
http://www.alamoscouts.org/special_forces/the_men.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: