SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A RAGE IN MY SOUL
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to a buddy with FEMA. FEMA was ready to go several days before the storm. Apparently federal law prohibits them from acting until actually asked. When the law was enacted, the states and local governments wanted to put in safeguards so that the federal government couldn't just barge into a local matter and take over. As a result, federal anything can't act until asked.
As I recall Bush gave the OKs to prepare a few days before. This then put the burden on the state and locals to formally ask for aid. Since hizonor the mayor beat feet to Baton Rouge and their ineffective governor also failed to act, the feds were required, by law, to sit on their hands until they got the GO.
I see this whole thing as a huge SNAFU on the part of the state and locals. The feds did everything they could in prep work, and then nobody fired the starting pistol.
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw an excellent report by FOX's Adam Housley that he says will
be shown throughout the day today. It shows a toddler in diapers on the
second floor balcony of a house, the entire first floor of which is flooded.
A woman can be seen in the background and a dog is on the balcony,
barking its head off. A volunteer who was using his own boat to try to
rescue people was YELLING at the woman, telling her that she had to
leave because the water was not going to go down any time soon. She
had the means to leave because the top of a car was barely visible in
front of the house. Apparently, these people are used to having the
lower floor of their houses flood from time to time and were counting on
the water receeding on its own. Thank God, he finally convinced them
to leave.

What really amazed me is that in his follow-up to the footage, Adam
said that New Orleans - a town that is below sea-level and is surrounded
by water on three sides- has only THREE rescue boats, two of which are
currently not operational. One more thing for the left to blame on
President Bush - he did not make sure that NO had enough rescue boats
and that they were kept in working order at all times. Give me a break!!

Last edited by srmorton on Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He hates black people...
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you all have not ever checked out PoliPundit.com, it is a WONDERFUL
blog. There is a "regular" commenter on that blog who calls himself
Liberal Chris. He is currently having a "blogument" with anybody
who will respond to him about how all of this is President Bush's fault
and he refuses to acknowledge the facts of which we are all aware.
People keep patiently trying to explain to him that, by law, the POTUS
can not just go "take over" a state without authorization by Congress
or the explicit request of the governor. It is well documented that Blanco
did not make such a request until Wednesday. At any rate, all this
discussion "jogged" my brain to recall 1992 and Hurricane Andrew when
Governor Chiles deliberately did not request federal assistance at first
so as to make President George H. W. Bush look bad and uncaring in
an election year. That was when I first became aware that a governor
has to request help before the Feds can step in. IMO, any competent,
compassionate governor would do so ASAP, no matter what the political
ramifications might be!
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack said

Quote:
I talked to a buddy with FEMA. FEMA was ready to go several days before the storm. Apparently federal law prohibits them from acting until actually asked. When the law was enacted, the states and local governments wanted to put in safeguards so that the federal government couldn't just barge into a local matter and take over. As a result, federal anything can't act until asked.
As I recall Bush gave the OKs to prepare a few days before. This then put the burden on the state and locals to formally ask for aid. Since hizonor the mayor beat feet to Baton Rouge and their ineffective governor also failed to act, the feds were required, by law, to sit on their hands until they got the GO.
I see this whole thing as a huge SNAFU on the part of the state and locals. The feds did everything they could in prep work, and then nobody fired the starting pistol.

This is exactly right!! Days before Katrina hit, President Bush ordered preparation for the catastrophe that was about to happen, but inexplicably Governor Blanco would not act. Bush was on the phone with her pleading that she order the evacuation. When she finally did so, she still did not ask for the Feds. It was a weak order at the City level with no follow up. No transportation provided, NO COMPELLING people to leave!! A monumental task that the troops could have accomplished had the Governor acted BEFORE IT WAS TOO LATE!!
THE GOVERNOR HAD TO REQUEST FEDERAL HELP before Bush could put it in motion. This is the source of my rage! THOUSANDS OF LIVES COULD HAVE BEEN SAVED!!! And the media refuses to report the failure of the Governor, not President Bush!!

City of New Orleans Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan

http://www.cityofno.com/portal.aspx?portal=46&tabid=26

It is a long document but here is delegation of responsibiity:

Quote:
ANNEX I: HURRICANES

Part 1: TRAINING
II. CONCEPT OF OPERATIONS

Under the direction of the Mayor,
the Office of Emergency Preparedness will coordinate activities in accordance with the Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan to assure the coordination of training programs for all planning, support, and response agencies. Departments, authorities, agencies, municipalities, and all private response organizations bear the responsibility of ensuring their personnel are sufficiently trained.

III. EVACUATION ORDER

A. Authority

As established by the City of New Orleans Charter, the government has jurisdiction and responsibility in disaster response. City government shall coordinate its efforts through the Office of Emergency Preparedness

The authority to order the evacuation of residents threatened by an approaching hurricane is conferred to the Governor by Louisiana Statute. The Governor is granted the power to direct and compel the evacuation of all or part of the population from a stricken or threatened area within the State, if he deems this action necessary for the preservation of life or other disaster mitigation, response or recovery. The same power to order an evacuation conferred upon the Governor is also delegated to each political subdivision of the State by Executive Order. This authority empowers the chief elected official of New Orleans, the Mayor of New Orleans, to order the evacuation of the parish residents threatened by an approaching hurricane.

B. Issuance of Evacuation Orders

The person responsible for recognition of hurricane related preparation needs and for the issuance of an evacuation order is the Mayor of the City of New Orleans.
Concerning preparation needs and the issuance of an evacuation order, The Office of Emergency Preparedness should keep the Mayor advised.

V. TASKS

A. Mayor

* Initiate the evacuation.

* Retain overall control of all evacuation procedures via EOC operations.

* Authorize return to evacuated areas.

B. Office of Emergency Preparedness

* Activate EOC and notify all support agencies to this plan.

* Coordinate with State OEP on elements of evacuation.

* Assist in directing the transportation of evacuees to staging areas.

* Assist ESF-8, Health and Medical, in the evacuation of persons with special needs, nursing home, and hospital patients in accordance with established procedures.

* Coordinate the release of all public information through ESF-14, Public Information.

* Use EAS, television, cable and other public broadcast means as needed and in accordance with established procedure.

* Request additional law enforcement/traffic control (State Police, La. National Guard) from State OEP.

C. New Orleans Police Department

* Ensure orderly traffic flow.

* Assist in removing disabled vehicles from roadways as needed.

* Direct the management of transportation of seriously injured persons to hospitals as needed.

* Direct evacuees to proper shelters and/or staging areas once they have departed the threatened area.

* Release all public information through the ESF-14, Public Information.

D. Regional Transit Authority

* Supply transportation as needed in accordance with the current Standard Operating Procedures.
* Place special vehicles on alert to be utilized if needed.

* Position supervisors and dispatch evacuation buses.

* If warranted by scope of evacuation, implement additional service.

E. Louisiana National Guard

* Provide assistance as needed in accordance with current State guidelines.

F. Animal Care and Control

* Coordinate animal rescue operations with the New Orleans SPCA.

G. Public Works

* Make emergency road repairs as needed.

H. Office of Communications

* Release all public information relating to the evacuation.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I am wrong but did I hear hizonor the Mayor complaining about being out of coffee? I thought I heard that on a clip of him this AM.
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Nagin Memorial Motor Pool

Quote:
With the improved resolution we count 255 buses in that one lot. That means at a capacity of 66 on board, 16,830 New Orleans residents could have been evacced out in one trip. Even if you have a lower capacity per bus, say 50 per bus, you're still getting nearly 13,000 out in one run. In an emergency mandatory evacuation, you could probably get away with putting more than 66 on each of those buses.

pictures of buses here: http://junkyardblog.net/archives/week_2005_08_28.html#004752
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: