SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi everyone, long time no see
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Hi everyone, long time no see Reply with quote

Sorry I disapeared after the good fight in the fall. I work for the Railroad and in January I went into the Engineer program. I am happy to say that I am a card carrying Locomotive Engineer now. Most of this year has been wrapped up in that. It has been demmanding and most of my time has been wrapped up studying. Training is over, and I am working in Southern California as an Engineer. I was a Conductor for 6 years before I took the plunge. Glad to see some of the old bunch still at it, Navy Navy Navy, Lew Waters are just a couple. I was sad to hear the news about Walt, he was a warrior with honor. I send a deep heart felt "Semper Fi" out to him and his family.

Excerpt from the Marine Corps Hymn.

"If the Army and the Navy, ever looked on heaven's scene, they would find the gates are guarded by, the United States Marine's"

Walt has been relieved of his duty on earth, but he is in Dress Blues at the Gates of Heaven. Can't wait to see you again Marine!!
Montana
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Marine4life
Congratulations on your Locamotive Engineering card.
Semper Fi to you and to Walt up above

Montana
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine4Life,

I know one of the commandments is "Thou shalt not covet" but I have to say, I envy your job. As I flew over the remotest parts of our country, especially the West, I would see rail tracks. It must be a thrill to go places few people ever see.
Marine4life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Homesteader it has it's good points and bad one's. Flying through the desert at 70 mph is awesome, especially at night with all the stars out. I have seen the most beautiful sun rises and sun sets. The problem is that I am out there for almost every sun rise and set. Most of our tracks are in places that noone goes as you said, that means that when we get stopped for hours on end for congestion there isn't a burger stand for miles. So we prepare and pack a big lunch, bring reading material and enjoy the view. But overall the good out weighs the bad. I work out of Los Angeles, from there to the desert is a little tense, 100's of street crossing's where I see many idiots play chicken with us. Let me be the first to tell everyone, running a crossing gate in front of a train is suicide, I can't stop. Many of our trains are 7,500 feet long and 6,000-8,000 tons. By the time I see you on the tracks it is to late, if you don't move I can't stop, no matter what I do. That is the only real stress on the job, constantly looking for a bozo trying to ruin my day. Metor shows are great at night, there aren't any street lights where we go. Semper Fi.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya!

Nice to see you and to hear your good news.

It's pretty quiet around here most of the time - a lot of people were very glad to just put politics aside completely after the election, so we just sort of hang around in "care-taker" mode.

Good luck with the new job and congratulations on completing school! Smile
Marine4life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NNN, Ya I am glad it's over, Final's for the license consit of 5 test's. Two simulator run's, 150 question Mechanical test, 150 question Airbrake and Train handling test, and 150 question Govt. code of Operating rules test. 90% regiured on all 5, administered over three day's. I scored 97.6% on both sim run's, 99% on Mech, 98% on Airbrake, 98% on GCOR. I was pretty proud to be top in my class at age 46. Many of the guy's were 20 years my junior. But they went partying, I studied.
So you have been standing Fire Watch eh. That is good. I got an invitation this week to attend the Decommisioning Ceremony of one of my old ships. The USS Bellleau Wood, LHA 3. I took her on her maiden Westpac 80-81. We are going down to San Diego thursday for the Ceremony. It is only fitting that I kick her in the butt on the way out. My son is on Westpac as we speak, he is a Marine SGT aboard the USS Tarawa, she get's Decommisioned when they get back. He sent me an awesome picture he took from a CH-53 as they flew by the great Pyramid's while they were in Egypt. I will email a copy to you. Semper Fi. [/img]
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine4life -

For which line do you work? BNSF?

Schadow

Admin note: Please be mindful that revealing aspects of one's personal information in a public forum should be done with due consideration. Perhaps this would be better handled via PM./me#1
Marine4life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pm'd you Schadow. Thanks Me#1, good to see you still at it too. Semper Fi.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think your education is complete. For years I had a good buddy who drove a switch engine for the SP in the yards by Dodger Stadium. He averaged three train movements in an eight hour shift and was the best read guy I knew.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Marine4life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IB, you are right. I will keep learning everyday. In the yard it is boring, that's why I stay on the road. 2-3 moves is about right for a switch engine. I prefer 150-250 miles. Semper Fi.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine4life wrote:
IB, you are right. I will keep learning everyday. In the yard it is boring, that's why I stay on the road. 2-3 moves is about right for a switch engine. I prefer 150-250 miles. Semper Fi.

Is it true how stressful it is to be a railroad engineer?

Of all my roofing jobs the only fatality I have had was in 94' on a Union Pacific rail car rehab building. It tore me up because although I followed OSHA guidelines for my fall protection I decided on ladders rather then man lifts or scaffolds. The job was just too small to pay for anything other then the ladder. While on the job I spoke to a couple of engineers who shared how stressful their job was with moving a masss of steel with no brakes. Is it really that stressful or are you immune to it because of your Marine background.

This has always interested me. Running trains is truly unique.

Btw, since the accident I havent bid a project which cannot sustain a proper safety program.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M 4 life,

Don't know that long runs work so much better. Had another friend, a road engineer on a low priority frieght to 'Vegas for ATSF. Union rules always found them just beyond Barstow waiting hours for a bus with a relief crew.

Still, I gottta envy you. Running Tehachapi?

-Wlm Shakespeare
Marine4life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genrx, No it isn't all that bad. We have plenty of brakes, they just take a long time to work. You just have to be aware and think ahead. Like I said the only stress I have is hitting a fool on the tracks or at crossing's.

IB, The road is good, more money out there. Ya there are long hours and waiting for a ride but that's were the money start's. $50 an hour waiting for a ride is a good thing. Your friend might have complained at the time but he didn't on payday. The yard only pay's about $196 for eight hours, and overtime is rare. I can make double that on the road where overtime is normal. I don't get to do the Tehachapi run, that is a different Sub Division, it is beautiful up there though. Those job's like your friend's usually go high in seniority if they consistantly exceed the hour's of service. Ya them older guy's complain a lot but they are there voluntarily. Most of those 12 plus hour job's go to about 30 years seniority. One credential to being a Railroader is you have to complain about everything, the BMW club, B**ch moan and whine. There are very few conservatives on this job. I can count the Republican's on one hand. Big union atmosphere. I have fun with that, they are a source of humor. After the election I brought a crying towel to work for them. You guy's that are interested here should apply, all the major road's are hiring this year. Go to the Union Pacific website and the Burlington Northern Santa Fe website and apply online. Within the next 5 years there will be a large percentage retiring, now is a good time to get in. The RR likes prior military. Anyone that need's help with that just PM me and I will help you get it started. Those of you on the East coast and in the South can apply with the Norfolk Southern RR. If these fuel prices stay up I anticipate our buisness doubling, trucker's can't afford to stay in buisness on the long hauls. Semper Fi.
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NNN,

You are doing much more than just care taking. The active contributers to this forum, few as they may be at this time, still provide enough input and links to other great info to make going elsewhere unnecessary. Thanks for the service.

M4Life,

Train talk seems to spark the imagination of many a wannabe engineer. My late father-in-law was a long time train man. He was forever a thorn in the side of the union leadership. One anicdote....At one time a day's work was defined by miles travelled (150 miles was one day). When trains got faster and 300 miles could be easily done in a day, that meant two days pay. Management wanted to change that and the union squawked. My wife's father supported a change to hourly wages. I'm not sure what happened. Do they still pay by the mile?
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M 4 life,

Big Union Demos is right! My SP friend was an officer in the local and a precinct worker pushing Carter/Mondale. I worked the Reagan campaign for Lyn Nofziger. In those days we could drink our beers, have a peaceful disagreement and laugh off the odd detail. Today... I had several friends retired from the CB&Q/BN (and Kansas) but last year's election was a killer.

Phoenix is a lousy place for rail action. SF has an automobile dump but AmTrak stops 60 miles out of town and SP can't shut down their right's of way quick enough. Railpaks and trunk lines are either south on the SP through Yuma/Gila Bend or north on the hump over Flagstaff.

It's a fond idea but I'ld have to relocate (not necessarily a bad thing) and I'm nearing retirement age myself.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: