SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Say it ain't so, Duke...say it ain't so...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Say it ain't so, Duke...say it ain't so... Reply with quote

This hurts...a lot.

Quote:
Cunningham resigns after bribery plea
Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:41 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - U.S. Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, a California Republican, resigned on Monday after pleading guilty to taking $2.4 million in bribes in exchange for help in securing Defense Department contracts.

Cunningham, 63, made his announcement after entering his guilty plea on felony charges in San Diego federal court.

The eight-term Congressman and decorated Vietnam War veteran had already said he would not seek re-election in 2006. He is scheduled to be sentenced on February 27, when he could be ordered to spend 10 years in prison and pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.

Reuters
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Say it ain't so, Duke...say it ain't so... Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
This hurts...a lot.

I know. It hurts us all. But, what's good for the goose.....Crying or Very sad

Schadow
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Say it ain't so, Duke...say it ain't so... Reply with quote

Schadow wrote:
Me#1You#10 wrote:
This hurts...a lot.

I know. It hurts us all. But, what's good for the goose.....Crying or Very sad

Schadow

He admitted his guilt so I have no respect for his actions. If they are a Republican or a Democrat, I hope he gets the maximum sentence.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, the Pelosi vulture swoops in on the carcass...nothing quite as appetizing as a warm meal...

Quote:
"This offense is just the latest example of the culture of corruption that pervades the Republican-controlled Congress, which ignores the needs of the American people to serve wealthy special interests and their cronies. The Republican Congress has the wrong priorities; it is time to restore a high ethical standard to the Congress."

Nancy Pelosi
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Say it ain't so, Duke...say it ain't so... Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:
He admitted his guilt so I have no respect for his actions. If they are a Republican or a Democrat, I hope he gets the maximum sentence.

Terry, in a world that contemplates clemency and a Nobel Prize for a quadruple murderer, I feel little compulsion (at this moment) to allow my sense of justice to overcome my profound sadness and sense of melancholy at the fall from grace of a true American hero.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
George F. Thompson
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Duke's Shame Reply with quote

Refresh my memory please, but didn't Pelosi's nephew just land a lucrative defense contract. I'm sure she didn't pull any strings or call in any favors. Hell she's above reproach, only the morally repungnant republicans would do a shameful thing like Cunningham. George Wallace claimed in 1968, there's not a dimes worth of difference between democrats and republicans. What Cunningham did was reprehensible and he should be given a sentence commensurate with his actions.

George F. Thompson
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A crooked politician is just a crooked politician. Republican, Democrat, Conservative or Liberal, I hope he enjoys encarceration. Since he confessed, it's a done deal. He is Guilty and deserves nothing less that to sit in a cell for a decade or so munching on Doritos in the evening and learning to make license plates during the day.
It he was a hero before, he isn't any more. A hero is someone you hold up as an example to your kids and hope they aspire to. OJ was once a hero, now look at him. I certainly wouldn't want any of my kids to follow his example.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
A crooked politician is just a crooked politician. Republican, Democrat, Conservative or Liberal, I hope he enjoys encarceration. Since he confessed, it's a done deal. He is Guilty and deserves nothing less that to sit in a cell for a decade or so munching on Doritos in the evening and learning to make license plates during the day.
It he was a hero before, he isn't any more. A hero is someone you hold up as an example to your kids and hope they aspire to. OJ was once a hero, now look at him. I certainly wouldn't want any of my kids to follow his example.

Ditto.
Bump.

Several people -- on this forum, and in the media -- need to learn, understand or otherwise become aware that what you may have done 30-40-50 years ago does not mean you are currently trustworthy, loyal, brave, clean, or reverent. Those individuals in the media currently include Sean Hannity, among others.
<EDIT>
I would, of course, be remiss not to include John Kerry and John McCain in the above group.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need term limits.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
We need term limits.

The problems that would be permanently dispatched by term limits boggle the mind. The only citizens that should be against it are the very individuals who treat elective office as a career opportunity rather than as an interim "service" to be performed by a citizen-legislator, the original concept of the FF's.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
GenrXr wrote:
We need term limits.

The problems that would be permanently dispatched by term limits boggle the mind. The only citizens that should be against it are the very individuals who treat elective office as a career opportunity rather than as an interim "service" to be performed by a citizen-legislator, the original concept of the FF's.

So correct #1,

The Federalist No. 57

Madison (or Hamilton) They wrote all the articles under Publius, So obviously families of the three authors have argued since who wrote what.

February 19, 1788

To the People of the State of New York:

The THIRD charge against the House of Representatives is, that it will be taken from that class of citizens which will have less sympothy with the mass of the people, and be most likely to aim at an ambitious sacrifice of the many to the aggrandizement of the few.

Of all the objections which have been framed against the federal Constitution, this is perhaps the most extraordinary. Whilst the objection itself is levelled against a pretended oligarchy, the principle of it strikes at the very root of republican government.

The aim of every political constitution is, or ought to be, first to obtain for rulers men who possess most wisdom to discern, and most virtue to pursue, the common good of the society; and in the next place, to take the most effectual precautions for keeping them virtuous whilst they continue to hold their public trust. The elective mode of obtaining rulers is the characteristic policy of republican government. The means relied on in this form of government for preventing their degeneracy are numerous and various. The most effectual one, is such a limitation of the term of appointments as will maintain a proper responsibility to the people.

/....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: