SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question about deployment to a warzone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-130 Son
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: question about deployment to a warzone? Reply with quote

Hi there. I am not sure if this is in the right forum or not. If not, please let me know and I will repost it in the right forum. I am having a debate with a liberal anti-war sissy on another board, and they are arguing that the reason the retention rates of Guardsmen who just returned from Iraq are so high (94% in my area) is because they cannot be deployed again once their tour is up. Is this true? I think I heard one time that, although they get a break, that they could be re-deployed if needed.

Please someone help me out, and some good source information would be quite helpful.

Thanks.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better yet, ask him to supply proof that that is the policy. Also, if you get a chance, ask some Guard members in your area why they decided to re-up and see what they answer.

As far as I know, as long as you are a member of any Military Branch, you are subject to deployment.

Put it back on your adversary. Have them supply the regulation that states that.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak specifically for the Guards but I doubt any significant difference. Re-upping may garner a bonus, some choice of duty, some basket leave and other bennies but, the enlistment contract is a supralegal document. Buried deep in the small print it says, "all conditions of service, and payment for service are subject to change for the benefit of the Military and Acts of Congress." more-or-less. You sign and you go where they send you, you take what they give you.

-Wlm Shakespeare
C-130 Son
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I have tried doing some searches on deployment policies and cannot find anything about that. I did ask him, Lew, and I am awaiting the answer.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you will find any deployment policy written in stone. All Branches of the Military are set to be flexible and moved were needed in the shortest amount of time.

Personally, I think your defeatocrat friend is just repeating what some other defeatocrat guru he knows and admires has spewed, without any evidence at all.

My bet is you will not get an answer and he will just start spewing some other typical defeatocrat talking point. Pin him down, time for him to put up or shut up.
C-130 Son
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking you are correct. He is usually a lot quicker to respond than this when he actually has a clue what he is talking about. Laughing

Thanks for the help. We shall see what this ninny has for us and I promise I will report back.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of our guard units in NY have been deployed to Iraq for 2nd 'tours'. Would they be made up of the same soldiers? Don't recall the unit - a few months ago, the news stations were at the Albany airport to send one of these units off,who were returning to Iraq.

this article must be a different group, as they are just returning from what sounds like 2nd tour. November article - states they'll return (home) shortly.
newsday
November 22, 2005 - Interview with -
National Guard Maj. Gen. Joseph Taluto Commander of the Troy-based 42nd Infantry Division

"We were better equipped than the last rotation. We had more up-armored Humvees”

“He doesn't foresee the 42nd getting redeployed anytime soon.”
C-130 Son
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

January 9 and still no response from the liberal sissy. I guess he lied and made that up.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't really expect an answer, did you? Wink

I doubt he made it up himself, most likely heard it from someone he respects as knowing it all. Rolling Eyes

Too bad also, I'd bet he hasn't changed his mind a bit and still believes the nonsense he was told. Just another kool aid drinker. Laughing
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C130, I personally have not served, but another way to look at some of the surprisingly good retention rates among NG might be due to their actually doing something for the country. Love and therefore service of country is a factor.

A lot of NG regardless of reason for joining might actually enjoy their service 'in country' as opposed to doing drills and more drills. They are actually doing what they have been trained to do.

Let me extrapolate upon this and discuss the Vietnam soldier. The left loves to discuss how the Vietnam soldier was against the war and de-moralized because 'we' were losing the war. Well from all I have read the Vietnam soldier had very strong battle morale, but was suffering from poor war morale. Many might have lost hope in Washington pushing the fight to the viet-cong, yet they knew in battle they were going to win everytime they were attacked. The Tet offensive is a good example. Our troops were expecting a cease fire and the Vietnamese hit them with everything they had and were decimated. The troops in one night destroyed the vietcong, yet Washington did nothing and Walter Cronkite reported we lost the war.

Now current day. We have a war Bush has given to the generals and is not micro managing from Washington. Bush says time and time again we will win. When asked about troop levels he says thats up to the generals and he allows them to perform tactics and logistics. The troops see this and know this. I would argue this gives them the additional war morale which might have been lacking in Vietnam due to weak Washington leadership, yet in both wars there was strong battle morale.

This is what I have gathered from reading and talking to family who served in Vietnam and friends who have served in the current war.

Of course it is just an observation from someone who has never served.
C-130 Son
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello GenXer,

That was exactly my argument that they would not have 90% retention rates if the soldiers were against the war. They know we are doing the right thing and want us to finish the job. The liberal sissy was trying to argue that this is not the case.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The left will invent any argument they can muster in order to denigrate the real purpose of our Military. For some reason, they have come to look at the Military as a place for social experimentation and to take care of domestic matters so citizens don't have to themselves.

Too many on the far left hate our Military with a passion, even if they come to their rescue.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-130 Son wrote:
Hello GenXer,

That was exactly my argument that they would not have 90% retention rates if the soldiers were against the war. They know we are doing the right thing and want us to finish the job. The liberal sissy was trying to argue that this is not the case.

We are fortunate that so many are willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice.

That said...serving our country...United States of America...

damn how seldom we see it capitilized and in its glory!
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 Son-in-Law has been deployed for a month now with the 4 ID.
So far, the War Department (wife) has sent his platoon a huge box
of Christmas cookies. Lasted 15 minutes. Request for the next CARE
package is nails. Yeah, nails. They want to fix up their billet and need
nails. The platoon is planning a visit to the main post this week. They
are desperate for cigarettes, Snikers Bars, and Ho-Hos. Where they
are at they can get really bad local cigarettes or Cuban cigars. But
it's cash only (or Copenhagen Snuff for trade goods). My kid lets him
have a credit card on a really limited budget, but it's only good at the
main base and is useless where he's at.

Sure is different from the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club.

(^_^)
C-130 Son
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this should have been pretty much expected. Still no response with a source and instead of admitting that he was wrong, his friends are now piling on with hateful personal attacks and misdirection. Typical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: