SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A TEEN'S RESPONSE TO A MOONBAT CARTOONIST

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: A TEEN'S RESPONSE TO A MOONBAT CARTOONIST Reply with quote

Found this today on Michelle Malkin's blog (in archives) and had to share it. Here you go...

Quote:
By Michelle Malkin · December 31, 2005 09:53 AM
In October, Atlanta Journal Constitution's left-wing cartoonist Mike Luckovich used the names of the fallen in Iraq to create this anti-war image touted by moonbats:

James Lileks, among many others, wrote a fabulous rejoinder to Luckovich. But Georgia teenager Danielle Ansley has topped it. Her cartoon response to Luckovich appears in today's Atlanta Journal Constitution:

Danielle also wrote a letter to the editor that accompanies the cartoon:

The first time I saw Mike Luckovich’s drawing of the word “WHY?”, made up of the names of 2,000 troops killed in Iraq, was when my mother was putting it up on our refrigerator. It bothered me that no one did a response showing how others feel. On Nov. 8, I got an updated list of the names of the war dead and started writing them, spelling out “FREEDOM.” Six days later, it was done. I only worked on it in my free time at school. It took me about 12 hours to get it done, so needless to say I devoted many of my classes to this, and stayed late after school to work on it. I didn’t take it home and show it to my mother until I had prints made. She and I have different views of things. She said that, as a mother, she didn’t like it that so many people have been killed. She was not happy when I placed my work next to Luckovich’s “WHY?” on the fridge, but it hasn't been taken down. I may seem as if I am too young to have an opinion on matters like these. I am not saying that my opinion is right, for an opinion is just that — someone’s views on something. But, like a child’s voice, an opinion is often not heard.

Check out the ongoing discussion at Luckovich's blog. Bravo to Danielle (and the AJC) for making her voice heard.

Hat tip: Readers Stu and Bill

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/2005_12.htm
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I may seem as if I am too young to have an opinion on matters like these. I am not saying that my opinion is right, for an opinion is just that — someone’s views on something. But, like a child’s voice, an opinion is often not heard.

This child has the right opinion and ought to be proud of it. She certainly has my admiration and support.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the kid but,

Quote:
I am not saying that my opinion is right, for an opinion is just that

I'm especially taken with his humility. We don't see enough of it.

-Wlm Shakespeare
GenrXr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: A TEEN'S RESPONSE TO A MOONBAT CARTOONIST Reply with quote

becca1223 wrote:
Found this today on Michelle Malkin's blog (in archives) and had to share it. Here you go...

Quote:
By Michelle Malkin · December 31, 2005 09:53 AM
In October, Atlanta Journal Constitution's left-wing cartoonist Mike Luckovich used the names of the fallen in Iraq to create this anti-war image touted by moonbats:

James Lileks, among many others, wrote a fabulous rejoinder to Luckovich. But Georgia teenager Danielle Ansley has topped it. Her cartoon response to Luckovich appears in today's Atlanta Journal Constitution:

Danielle also wrote a letter to the editor that accompanies the cartoon:

The first time I saw Mike Luckovich’s drawing of the word “WHY?”, made up of the names of 2,000 troops killed in Iraq, was when my mother was putting it up on our refrigerator. It bothered me that no one did a response showing how others feel. On Nov. 8, I got an updated list of the names of the war dead and started writing them, spelling out “FREEDOM.” Six days later, it was done. I only worked on it in my free time at school. It took me about 12 hours to get it done, so needless to say I devoted many of my classes to this, and stayed late after school to work on it. I didn’t take it home and show it to my mother until I had prints made. She and I have different views of things. She said that, as a mother, she didn’t like it that so many people have been killed. She was not happy when I placed my work next to Luckovich’s “WHY?” on the fridge, but it hasn't been taken down. I may seem as if I am too young to have an opinion on matters like these. I am not saying that my opinion is right, for an opinion is just that — someone’s views on something. But, like a child’s voice, an opinion is often not heard.

Check out the ongoing discussion at Luckovich's blog. Bravo to Danielle (and the AJC) for making her voice heard.

Hat tip: Readers Stu and Bill

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/2005_12.htm

Hate is on full display here. See how the professional artist picture of WHY is somewhat organized yet disfigured?

If I (pen and ink drawings is one of my hobbies, I will try to post some of my work in a day or 2) were to do this drawing and respected the troops I would begin by putting all of the names in a Microsoft word document then I would figure the average size of the names and with the number of names would proceed to a cad program where I would calculate the square area WHY would entail and its perfect approximation according to my name average for the size of WHY.

What we see here though is a very good spacing of names, yet a distorted WHY. It is because he used a CAD program and purposely distorted the why. Or at the very least did simple calculation in his head and some pretty damn good approximations, but highly doubt this.

You see the artist always battles with space. It is very unforgiving and difficult, yet this guy somehow without using a CAD program or some other purposefully done calculation fit perfectly the names into his disfigured WHY?

See how Danielle starts out too large with her names then goes small and the size is inconsistent throughout. She does manage a level of similarity, but it is obvious how she struggled. The E's are fatter then she would have liked in the middle because she ended up with too many names and added names here as well as the M being fat at top. The O's are skinny in the middle because she not only was running out of paper but probably thought she was running out of names. She was drawing with love of soldier lost and not warped ideological bent.

Finally, see how the artists ink color varies? This is because he used a cheap roller ball pen. This was also used for dramatic effect and shows clearly his disdain and hate for the soldier's names who he was writing. If he truly cared for the soldiers he was writing the names of he would have used a Rapidograph or Koh-I-Noor pen with Black India ink with a Bristol 400 series acid free paper and taken his time to make sure the names appeared consistent throughout.

The chosen pen and ink along with his deliberate spacing of the names of our fallen show what type of person he is.

Danielle, if you read this your drawing is a true work of art. Very beautiful and the hard work put in shows.

Last edited by GenrXr on Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:49 am; edited 5 times in total
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mom may disagree with this girl, but she sure did a great job raising her so far.

It's very refreshing to see young people who have a head on their shoulders and can see what is really going on.

Great job, Danielle, I hope you get many great comments.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope that there are more young ones out there that can think for themselves outside the 'liberal teaching' box...

I am greatly impressed.. she put forth a lot of effort to make her point..
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three examples of old ink drawings done free hand to clarify my point on space and ink color. No pencil was used with exception to drawing the outline for the square and trapazoid.

GenrXr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice how he broke out his good pen and ink for the question mark?

Compare the ink color of the ? in his drawing to my examples of ink drawings then conclude for yourself whether he drew in ideological hatred or not.

Personally, the reason this flashed so bright for me was the thought of writing a soldiers name who had fallen. The respect given for the soldiers name who has fallen should be absolute and only written by family and loved ones, yet this jerk purposefully abused their names.

This cartoonist hates our country and our soldiers.

He knew when to bring out the good pen and ink and probably thought it was funny.

Sad and Sick

He used the cheapest ink he could find to write the names of our fallen soldiers, yet when he wrote the question mark he switched to the finest black india ink money could buy.

This is true evil on display.
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with Luckovich, and I think Danielle has created a extraoridinarily wonderful thing. However, I think both cartoons are legitimate exppressions of sentiment about the war. I think the good ink-bad ink argument is just plain silly.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixdogteam wrote:
I don't agree with Luckovich, and I think Danielle has created a extraoridinarily wonderful thing. However, I think both cartoons are legitimate exppressions of sentiment about the war. I think the good ink-bad ink argument is just plain silly.

Silly?

Ask yourself one thing. If you were to write the names of fallen soldiers and were an artist would you use your best pens and inks if you cared for their memory or would you use the cheapest off the shelf pen you could find if you hated them?

When an artist takes pen to paper the ink flows like water and they take pride in how they control and master that flow. This marks the laboring skill of the artist. The style they create utilizing this skill seperates the artist from the hack.

This person is gifted and has both the laboring ability and the style of a true artist, yet decided to leave his tools at home to create his point? He did it for a purpose. It was not a labor of love, rather a boring and tedious task at hand, although the point filled him with pride of another kind. He stopped being an artist and became a nihilist who hates rather then respects and cares for his craft and audience.

He became an islamofascist propagandist.

My point is valid.
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
"Ask yourself one thing. If you were to write the names of fallen soldiers and were an artist would you use your best pens and inks if you cared for their memory or would you use the cheapest off the shelf pen you could find if you hated them?"

When I draw, I use what I'm comfortable with and what gives me the best results. When I draw a political cartoon, my choice of media is not political. That IS silly.

He may be an Islamo-Fascist or whatever, but I still think THIS instance is legitimate protest. It is straight forward, not a slanted, perverted, traitorus lie like we see in the MSM and from the dumb-o-crats every day... Not EVERYTHING our opponents do is evil -- perhaps you're overthinking this because it falls into your area of expertise.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young people like Danielle, provide us all with hope for our future.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixdogteam wrote:
GenrXr wrote:
"Ask yourself one thing. If you were to write the names of fallen soldiers and were an artist would you use your best pens and inks if you cared for their memory or would you use the cheapest off the shelf pen you could find if you hated them?"

When I draw, I use what I'm comfortable with and what gives me the best results. When I draw a political cartoon, my choice of media is not political. That IS silly.

He may be an Islamo-Fascist or whatever, but I still think THIS instance is legitimate protest. It is straight forward, not a slanted, perverted, traitorus lie like we see in the MSM and from the dumb-o-crats every day... Not EVERYTHING our opponents do is evil -- perhaps you're overthinking this because it falls into your area of expertise.

Then explain why he switched pen and ink to draw his question mark.
sixdogteam
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
sixdogteam wrote:
GenrXr wrote:

Then explain why he switched pen and ink to draw his question mark.

You're serious, right? OK (sigh) The question mark is in bold black ink for emphasis - to draw your eye to it. Not that hard to figure out. Don't try to look for stuff that isn't there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: