SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GOODBYE TO ANOTHER HERO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: GOODBYE TO ANOTHER HERO Reply with quote

I just returned from the funeral of my neighbor and friend Ray. Ray was a backcountry boy who said school'n was not for him so he left highschool and joined the Army to serve in the Korean War. After his discharge he returned to rural Wisconsin. Though he did not have a diploma he had more common sense, knowledge and wisdom than most PHDs.

I met Ray in 1997 when I retired from the AF and moved onto the farm next to him. I guess it was my service connection that lead him to start talking about his war experiences. I was truely humbled.

It was 12 below zero this morning with a brisk wind as we stood by his grave and the local VFW rendered our nations final salute. We had all the latest clothing and footwear but still the cold cut like a razor. I recalled Rays accounts of what he and our soldiers endured in the Korean winter with far less adequate equipment. Again I was humbled.

We have a 15 year old Korean foreign exchange student living with us this year. I told her about Ray and his connection to Korea. She rattled of dates and stats that made it clear that at least somewhere in the world, the deeds and sacrifices of our heros are still remembered and appreciated.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in Peace, Ray.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always sad to hear of another Veteran, from any war, pass on. At the same time, it's wonderful to hear that a young person, who is free today because of his sacrifice over 50 years ago, gratefully remembers and appreciates why she is free.

Rest in Peace, Ray. Well Done, Sir.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 13 years old in June 1950 when the NK rolled across the line into South Korea.
I had grown up reading and hearing of the heros of the 2nWW and wished fervently to be a few years older so that I could enlist. (my time would come later, but thats another thread)
I am acquainted with a retired Navy Chief Corpsman who was at Chosen with the Marines and, in my opinion,anyone who survived the "Frozen Chosen" during that hellish winter and fought their way back to Pusan is a real hero.
No American Army has ever had to fight in worse conditions and against that kind of overwhelming odds after the Chinese came in.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taps

http://www2.acc.af.mil/music/ceremonial/tunes/15ectaps.mp3
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks powsmias,

You couldn't have known how appropriate that was. It was so cold in the churchyard a week ago Sat. (-12) with a sharp wind that the bugler thought it too dangerous to put lips to horn. I was a bit miffed knowing that the mouthpiece could have been kept warm in a pocket with a warming pack. Anyway, Ray did not get taps at his burial. I told his wife that when we have our spring cemetery clean up I'll bring a horn and do the honors. We'll wait till then because most of the neighbors will be there for the annual spring ritual at this country churchyard and Ray had been one of the most enthusiastic workers in previous years.

I was especially disappointed in Ray not getting his due honors, ostensibly because of the cold, because it was in the cold of Chosen that he served most honorably. Couldn't we have endured a few more moments of discomfort and done a little more preplanning when he and so many others suffered so terribly in much harsher conditions. I had just read Paul Johnson's (a Brit) A HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE (highly recommended) and Robert Merriam's THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE so, along with Ray's stories about Korea, Valley Forge and the Ardennes Forest were fresh on my mind. How little we understand about what things were like for them.

Anyway....thanks for the fitting touch.
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in Peace, Ray. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: