SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boycott Cinco de Mayo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonhyo
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Boycott Cinco de Mayo Reply with quote

I think we should boycott Cinco de Mayo. After the huge protests,demanding rights they have no right to, carrying Mexican flags, blocking traffic, causing employers time and money for not showing up, and then threatening lawsuits because they got fired, we need to stand up and say NO to Cinco de Mayo and don't favor any Mexican restaurants, don't have your lawn done, just do a general boycott of all Mexican establishments.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last year's cinco de mayo i was in el paso to see my kid graduate.
after lunch i told him that i wanted to go to juarez. he said "for what?"
for cinco de mayo of course.
not one person on the other side of the border knew may 5th from the 12th of never. i thought i would see parades street festivals and the like. i saw squalor beyond belief.
not one person was celebrating anything.
it's a corona beer thing.
was a grand slam fake holiday and corona cashed in bigtime. restaurants you're boycotting are owned by americans.
wonhyo
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Boycott Cinco de Mayo Reply with quote

You would be surprised how many mexican groceries, restaurants, lawn care businessess we have here that are owned by illegal aliens. There are some apartment complexes here that are totally mexican immigrants, mostly illegal. This is in the suburbs, and many young people here cannot find an apartment because of the influx. The smallest complexes have at least 500 apartments. Within a mile of my house there are 7 mexican restaurants, 3 grocery stores that are mexican owned, almost no one at any of these places speak english.
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about doing more than just shopping on May 1 and boycotting on May 5th?

I've been searching for some way to be a small but effective voice in my community about this issue. Sure I'd love to see the majority of people who, according to the polls, oppose amnesty, out there counter protesting on May 1st as the hundreds of thousands of illegals & their supporters successfully shut down our country. But realistically I know, for whatever reason, that's not going to happen.

So, here's my plan. (I won't do this alone, but will if I can find a friend or relative to do with me). Because I live in an area where FLOC (farm labor organizing committe) is headquartered, we have many businesses who are suspect of hiring & housing illegals and one very popular mexican restaurant. On May 1st I will take note of all places of business closed. The reason doesn't matter. Either they are closed because they support the cause, or they are closed because they employee illegals. Next day I return and present owner with a copy of a letter addressed to my local INS office in which I have named the establishment as being suspected employers of illegals and ask that they be investigated and laws enforced. If the mexican restaurant is closed on May 1, they too will be reported, but I will take it a step further. Since they will be expecting to make up the lost revenue from May 1 at their May 5 cinco de mayo celebration, rather than just boycott the restaurant, I will plan to protest outside their restaurant in an effort to persuade others to boycott their business that day. JUST SAY NO TO SI SE PUEDE! It may be small potatoes, but GOOSE - GANDER. I've got to do something. I've written my congressman & senators. Not only have I received almost identical form letters in return explaining their no-amnesty, amnesty position, they may be listening, but haven't heard a word.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin note: AAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGhhh...instead of a reply, I inadvertently edited your post Dusty. (Some might find that providential Laughing )

Please overwrite this notice and repost your offering Dusty. Mea Culpa/me#1

I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty,

That's a groaner.

-Wlm Shakespeare
wonhyo
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: What a great idea Reply with quote

kimberly wrote:
How about doing more than just shopping on May 1 and boycotting on May 5th?

I've been searching for some way to be a small but effective voice in my community about this issue. Sure I'd love to see the majority of people who, according to the polls, oppose amnesty, out there counter protesting on May 1st as the hundreds of thousands of illegals & their supporters successfully shut down our country. But realistically I know, for whatever reason, that's not going to happen.

So, here's my plan. (I won't do this alone, but will if I can find a friend or relative to do with me). Because I live in an area where FLOC (farm labor organizing committe) is headquartered, we have many businesses who are suspect of hiring & housing illegals and one very popular mexican restaurant. On May 1st I will take note of all places of business closed. The reason doesn't matter. Either they are closed because they support the cause, or they are closed because they employee illegals. Next day I return and present owner with a copy of a letter addressed to my local INS office in which I have named the establishment as being suspected employers of illegals and ask that they be investigated and laws enforced. If the mexican restaurant is closed on May 1, they too will be reported, but I will take it a step further. Since they will be expecting to make up the lost revenue from May 1 at their May 5 cinco de mayo celebration, rather than just boycott the restaurant, I will plan to protest outside their restaurant in an effort to persuade others to boycott their business that day. JUST SAY NO TO SI SE PUEDE! It may be small potatoes, but GOOSE - GANDER. I've got to do something. I've written my congressman & senators. Not only have I received almost identical form letters in return explaining their no-amnesty, amnesty position, they may be listening, but haven't heard a word.

I too will be watching which businesses are closed on May 1, and will report to INS office along with a letter to the establishment. Last summer we had some major work done in our neighborhood by our sewer conglomerate, I noticed that almost all of the workers were mexican. They were dropped off for the day and then picked up in the evening. Most of the other workers came in the own trucks. I was having trouble with them removing parts of my fence, and when I tried to talk to them, no one understood English, and when I tried to contact our sewer service, they said that they had no such workers. couldn't get anyone to answer my problems and no one cared that there were illegals working on a project that our taxpayers were paying for. I only hope more people show up on May 1 to counterprotest and show up on May 5 to boycott!!!

fixed the bbcode thingie/kate
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
Admin note: AAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGhhh...instead of a reply, I inadvertently edited your post Dusty. (Some might find that providential Laughing )

Please overwrite this notice and repost your offering Dusty. Mea Culpa/me#1

On Dusty's behalf, here's the copy of mine (from an e-mail):

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England.

In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico.

But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York.

The ship hit an iceberg & sank, & the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss.

Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th & is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

WHAT!!!! You expected something educational from me!
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I.B. was right, it was pretty lame anyhow.
Thought someone might get a chuckle out of it. It sure isn't worth a laugh.

Dusty
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be so hard on yourself Dusty...it was so BAD it was GOOD ! Laughing

...and now, back to the topic plz?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: