SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning Out CIA Will Intensify Under Hayden

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Cleaning Out CIA Will Intensify Under Hayden Reply with quote

Quote:
May 09, 2006
Cleaning Out at CIA Will Intensify Under Hayden
By Jack Kelly

By selecting Air Force General Michael Hayden to replace Porter Goss as CIA director, the president has made many in Congress unhappy.

"I think putting a general in charge, regardless of how good Mike is...is going to send the wrong signal," said Rep. Peter Hoekstra (R-Mich), chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.

"You can't have the military control major aspects of intelligence," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Cal), a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Mr. Hoekstra and Ms. Feinstein were being disingenuous. They both know that eight of the 16 agencies that comprise the "Intelligence Community" are in the Department of Defense, which consumes 80 percent of the overall intelligence budget. And they both know, or ought to, that of the 19 CIA directors, seven have been generals or admirals.

Rep. Hoekstra probably is miffed at the apparently brusque treatment given his friend Porter Goss, who was his predecessor as chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.

Mr. Goss' abrupt (at least to us) resignation prompted much speculation over the weekend. The most plausible is that he lost a power struggle with the new Director of National Intelligence, John Negroponte. But that doesn't explain the apparent suddenness of his departure.

Porter Goss took over a dysfunctional institution. The CIA had been caught flat-footed by 9/11, and Saddam's WMD was not the "slam dunk" Mr. Goss' predecessor, George Tenet, had assured President Bush it would be.

Purges in the Carter and Clinton administrations stripped the CIA of its most experienced clandestine officers. The CIA today gathers little intelligence, and does a poor job of analyzing intelligence gathered (mostly) by others.

What the CIA has excelled at is interfering in domestic politics. Bush administration policy has been undermined by selective leaks to liberal journalists, most notably about the NSA communications intercept program, and "secret prisons" (probably safe houses) in Europe where high ranking al Qaida captives have been kept.

Porter Goss tried, with some success, to clear out the deadwood at the top; rebuild the CIA's moribund HUMINT capabilities, and plug the leaks.

So far, only one leaker -- Mary McCarthy, protege of Clinton National Security Adviser Sandy Berger -- has been publicly identified and fired. Some conservatives fear that Mr. Goss' departure means the leak hunt is over.

"Now that the CIA's Praetorian Guard has rid itself of Porter Goss, the CIA is confidently preparing to march back into the intelligence dark ages," wrote Jed Babbin, a former deputy undersecretary of defense.

"Two weeks after Porter takes one of the biggest steps to send a clear signal around the agency on leaks, he loses his job," Rep. Hoekstra told the New York Sun. "I don't know how people will read this."

I think the appointment of Gen. Hayden in spite of (or maybe because of) the opposition to him, indicates the opposite.

Porter Goss was trying to shovel out an Augean stable. But when the horse manure gets piled too high, it's easier to shut down the stable, and open another. This is what I think the Hayden nomination portends.

Congress created the DNI position on the recommendation of the 9/11 Commission, which was miffed that the CIA and FBI did not share terrorism information with each other, or with other federal agencies.

Negroponte and Goss reportedly quarreled over Negroponte's plan to move much of the CIA's analysis function to a joint center that would report directly to him. This would permit Negroponte to pluck the analysts that are worth a damn from the CIA, leaving the deadwood to moulder.

Currently Negroponte's deputy, Gen. Hayden was for five years head of the National Security Agency, where he established the NSA intercept program. The leak hunt will continue.

And Gen. Hayden likely will transfer to the Defense department responsibility for paramilitary operations, where it has always belonged. In short, the CIA under Gen. Hayden will shrink to the size warranted by its current performance, not its past pretensions.

Democrats say they plan to make an issue of the NSA wiretap program during his confirmation hearings. The president and Gen. Hayden seem to welcome that fight. The last time Democrats criticized the program, their poll numbers plummeted.

The key thing to remember is that this is a fight President Bush picked. He chose the time. He chose the ground.

Since the spring of 2003, President Bush has been playing defense against the political fallout generated by intelligence leaks. The Hayden nomination may be the start of a long planned counter-offensive.

Real Clear Politics

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez! Just how dumb is Feinstein?
She says that "You can't have the military control major aspects of intelligence..."
Just what does she think that intelligence information is used for?
It certainly isn't for the latest soccor scores.
Intelligence is used a a tool to know where to deploy our forces effectively and maximize the protection of our country.
I'm sorry, I answered my own questions. Liberals like Feinstain don't like America and will do anything to destroy it.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Geez! Just how dumb is Feinstein?

Not so dumb. Feinstein knows that the CIA has become the dirty tricks brigade of American politics, obviously heavily slanted towards the Democratic agenda.
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when you commit treason...you say your goodbyes..and go your seperate way..you understand what you are doing........ AND you accept what ever side of the rope you end up on.

It's not a mis-spoken art.

It's not like getting a tatoo and channging your mind.

It's not like being an A-hole....because you can.

It's about what you leave behind.

That used to be the measure of a man.

In some ways..it still is (money).

But, back then (1600s) it was "LAND".

I am prepared to die. I've made my peace. And I know my enemy. Is there anything more...but victory? Or death? I pray you..think on this. For now is the time to prepare. Tomorrow is the time to die. Place your things in order. Tell those you love that you love them. Do all those things you need do. And join ME..on the line. I will fight with you!
And pray you have never SEEN such a fight!!! For I have fought with my brother and killed him.

Do you understand where "I'm" commin' from??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: