SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boortz: A good thing if Dems take the House
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Boortz: A good thing if Dems take the House Reply with quote

Neal Boortz, who seems of late to have begun sounding wackier than usual, is promoting the idea of Republicans losing the House, thereby getting a much-needed "time out." His thesis is that the House Republicans are increasingly governing like Democrats.

In less dangerous times, such an idea might have some merit. Porky spending and dithering on immigration, among other things, makes one wonder at times if these are the same people who ascended to power 12 years ago under Newt's tutelage.

The problem is that the Democrats, denied power after 40 years of House rule, have gone largely insane in the time since 1994. The Minority leadership and the ranking members of many House committees are truly dangerous people who, if ascending to majority status, really would seek revenge against perceived Republican 'outrages'. Rangel has said openly that the current income tax structure would revert to the pre-Bush era immediately, not just waiting for it to run out. Conyers will undoubtedly press for impeachment and the MSM will say, "yeah, yeah".

We just don't need these things to happen. Retaining the Senate, or at least veto-override-proof numbers would help insulate against most House actions but the instability caused by a well-publicized Genghis Khan rampage in the House would certainly make winning (or even staying in) the war against terrorism much more difficult.

I'd hope that Boortz and the other conservative voices will not go wobbly. There's simply too much at stake and they are influential.

Schadow
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this kind of talk building up for months. It started, frankly, with the Hariett Miers fiasco, and built to a crescendo during the immigration "debate." My observation is that it is coming from the far-right, so-called, and self-dubbed "Conservatives" who, IMO (no "humble" about it) are more interested in Conservative purity and discipline (translated to "punish the rascals") than they are in the country's welfare. (These purist Conservatives just don't seem to realize that they don't have their own Conservative Party - couldn't join it if you tried.)

In other words this approach is driven by priority system that places political ideology over national well-being - something I cannot condone.

Sorry if I offended anyone here, but calling 'em just like I see 'em...
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
I've seen this kind of talk building up for months. It started, frankly, with the Hariett Miers fiasco, and built to a crescendo during the immigration "debate." My observation is that it is coming from the far-right, so-called, and self-dubbed "Conservatives" who, IMO (no "humble" about it) are more interested in Conservative purity and discipline (translated to "punish the rascals") than they are in the country's welfare. (These purist Conservatives just don't seem to realize that they don't have their own Conservative Party - couldn't join it if you tried.)

In other words this approach is driven by priority system that places political ideology over national well-being - something I cannot condone.

Sorry if I offended anyone here, but calling 'em just like I see 'em...

You certainly did not offend me--I agree with you 100% and could not have stated this point any better!

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken here either, Anker. In my view, there are conservatives and Conservatives. I'm definitely one of the former.

Boortz' position is somewhat surprising. He claims to be a libertarian and is against practically everything Dems stand for, yet urges listeners to suicidally vote libertarian. Go figure.

Schadow
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may add to this about the Libertarian Party. I ran into a few that don't care which party you belong to. Nor did they want or care to listen to the other person's opinion; They shouted down a lot of the people there....in addition to tossing in a few choice words, name calling and said they are Libertarian.

Maybe I'm a little thick between the ears. What they were saying didn't make any kind of sense to me and I let them know it *diplomatically* of course. Then I left while they were standing around trying to think of a come back to what I had to say, lmao.
NoNaYet
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us not lose sight of what our Republican representatives have done so far lately;

Spending like crazy. GWB has not vetoed a single spending bill.

Totally absent on controlling the borders.

Appologised that there were no WMD when if fact we found them.

Caved to PC pressure many times.

Weak in every fight with the Democrats.

The current crop have become what we would have called liberals not that many years ago.

Since most if not all are more interested in reelection as opposed to representing the wishes of their electors, how else do you send the message that you want them to behave differently?

I would not vote for a Democrat, but I may vote for third parties. Where I live there are several Republicans running outside of the party.

NNY
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n/a

Last edited by streetsweeper95B on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NNY, I'll try to answer your question:

Quote:
...how else do you send the message that you want them to behave differently?

The answer is quite simple: you use the Primaries to slug it out ideologically to select the best candidate for your district or state that represents your ideology's values.

In the General Election, pragmatically, and if you want your vote to count, you have only two real choices - a selection between a Democat candidate and a Republican one - both of whom emerged as the compromise "winners" from the Primaries.

Based on your list of grievances, I feel very comfortable in assuming that anyone advancing these grievances is right-of-center, and probably identifies him/herself as a strong Conservative. So how, exactly, does someone with such grievances advance one's cause by voting for a party (which you said you would not do, but others have) who would likely do more damage? In a climate of pencil-thin margins, how does voting for a third-party, or even sitting at home, do anything for those causes for the next two years and beyond? What are the repercussions if you're wrong? As a responsible citizen and voter, with clearly defined objectives and values, will you then accept the long term consequences of getting your message across at the expense of giving the other party power, perhaps for years and years? This "send a message" thinking is, IMHO, a total loser if you value your country's future while smack-dab in the middle of a WOT that is going on at the same time as an internal culture war.

Nothing I've said, I hope, amounts to an argument to vote straight party lines blindly. By all means everyone should vote for the best candidate for a particular office that represents their value system - in its totality. "Best candidate" and "ideologically correct" are simply not the same thing, though.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NNT, another way to think about it (hopefully from your perspective):

Either 1) you support the current rascals, with all their perceived faults, or 2) you help all the committed liberals to have one more vote count in their battle to:

* Spend like crazy, enhanced with new revenue occasioned by repealing the tax cuts.

* If anything is done about immigration and border control, place all illegal immigrants on a fast-track program to becoming Democrat voters.

* Continue in total denial that there was ever any valid reason to go into Iraq, and "redeploy" the troops with haste.

* Create new and imaginative (through the courts, since that's the easiest way to go) PC excuses to hide liberal power-play initiatives.

* Run rough-shod over every Conservative value as a solid Liberal Progressive political bloc.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any vote for a third party candidate, or non vote, in the general election amounts to a vote for the Dems.
Think.......Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House .....third in line for the Presidency........and control of whatever bills make it to the floor for a vote, and the power to name chairs of committees.........Think John Conyers, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee (who is champing at the bit at the opportunity to begin Impeachment proceedings, he's already held mock hearings on that subject with his cronys in a basement room of the Capitol)
Think Barney Frank, chairman of ways and means.
and more of the far left in other chairman seats.
Think Harry (Cut and Run/we've killed the Patriot Act) Ried as Senate Leader.........think Hillary Clinton as Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee...............
I may not like much of what we have now on the Republican side, or much of what they have or have not accomplished in the last few years, but the alternative scares the hello out of me.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagle wrote:
I may not like much of what we have now on the Republican side, or much of what they have or have not accomplished in the last few years, but the alternative scares the hello out of me.

To your list of wonderful aspirants to committee chairs I would add a couple more:

Charlie Rangel (D-NY) who would ascend to chairmanship of House Ways and Means. Rangel has stated in no uncertain terms that not only would the Bush tax cuts be allowed to expire on schedule, he would do his best to terminate them immediately.

Then there's Alcee Hastings (D-FL). If Speaker Pelosi were to succeed in removing Jane Harman (D-CA) as the current ranking member (don't know why. It's apparently a personal thing), Hastings would become chair of the House Intelligence Committee. Here is a portion of the bio on Hastings which appears on the Intel Committee web site:

Quote:
Congressman Hastings’ honors are too numerous to name, and they come from all over the world.  His governing philosophy is simple: he firmly believes that progress and change can be achieved through mutual respect and appreciation; on the ability of individuals and communities to see beyond the limits of parochialism; and on the ability of nations to better understand each other.

Alas, Wikipedia also has a bio on Hastings which paints a slightly different picture (emphasis mine):

Quote:

<snip>

In 1989, Hastings was impeached by the U.S. House of Representatives for corruption and perjury. The Democratic-controlled Senate convicted Judge Hastings of accepting a $150,000 bribe in 1981 in exchange for a lenient sentence and committing numerous acts of perjury at his own trial. He became only the sixth Judge in the history of impeachment in the United States to be removed from office by the United States Senate.

His impeachment was remanded back to the Senate by Judge Stanley Sporkin for procedural reasons, but the Supreme Court ruled in a similar case, regarding Judge Walter Nixon, who had also been impeached and removed, that the courts had no jurisdiction to review Senate impeachment procedures. Hastings' case [appeal] was dismissed, and his impeachment and removal remained valid.

The Senate had the option to forbid Hastings from ever seeking federal office again when it removed him, but did not do so.

So, the good people of his Florida district promptly elected him to the House and he has remained there ever since, apparently holding a security clearance.

Chair of House Intel Committee? Beam me up, Scotty! Rolling Eyes

Schadow
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Democrats have a very good chance of taking the House and less of a chance of taking the Senate. In any case, the margins will be so slim either way that the government will be in gridlock for the next two years. Nothing substantial will be accomplished. It may take the Democrats winning the House to wake up the conservatives for 2008. To say the Republicans have been spending money like drunken sailors does a very grave disservice to drunken sailors. I have been a drunken sailor and I strongly resent the comparison.
helpmycountry
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: The Head of the House is a Kerry Singsong Reply with quote

The lady who will take over the house if the Democrats win the seats will look you straight in the face as she has many times on the news and tell you that America has a long history of abuse with our servicemen. She thinks that Veterans of every war was not neccessary and committed war crimes of some kind. I cannot figure out why anyone would want to vote for her and the same people who shout the crap they think people want to hear and singsong Kerry. This is a very serious problem and it is being ignored by the Veterans .My husband was in Vietnam and I am sick of the same Senators cutting Veterans down and now our men in Iraq. It has become so cik that last month at Columbia University who is well know for hating Veterans threw things, pushed ,shoved, named called to the point of even the N word, and actually threw thmmeselves at an ex soldier who is now over the colleges in America. He is now also over border protrol so they hate and I mean hate! They were O'Reilly being shown the signs they carried saying WWI and II took the US to hell and we are tyrants.Every college and even the bible colleges are teaching there was no holocoast and no need for WWI and WWII. Why in the name of our country are we allowing this to go on. I am not Jewish but there is no one prouder then me for the Veterans who have fought in any war and stood up to protect us .It makes me very sick to see our kids taught this just to get Democrats in office by Professors who hate our country. During the election of 04 in the chat rooms kids of all ages adn in now my space has many of these people telling our kids that Veterans are nothign but murders. Big name movie stars and singers putting a ton of money to get this out to them. I first noticed it in the Bruce Springstein web site and bought it to attentionof this group. Now it is in every single web site these kids go to. Moore has people all over the net to blog down kids with garbage about our country and its Veterans. He has never been to college so is he the one to teach our kids? He took credit for shooting Joe Lieberman down. If these people shoot Rick Santorum down they can get to anyone. He is a near perfect candidate. Please take time to send emails to these sites and tell our kids what Veterans are really made of. Red, white, and blue all the way and they would not be able to send their veiw points and blog if it we not for the Veterans of this country.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LimaCharlie wrote:
To say the Republicans have been spending money like drunken sailors does a very grave disservice to drunken sailors. I have been a drunken sailor and I strongly resent the comparison.

Me, too, Lima Charlie, also I.
But you and I were spending our own money, which makes it an especially bad analogy, since those spendthrifts in DC are also spending our money.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagle wrote:
LimaCharlie wrote:
To say the Republicans have been spending money like drunken sailors does a very grave disservice to drunken sailors. I have been a drunken sailor and I strongly resent the comparison.

Me, too, Lima Charlie, also I.
But you and I were spending our own money, which makes it an especially bad analogy, since those spendthrifts in DC are also spending our money.

On my worst night in Olongapo City, I could never have dreamed of doing what those in Congress do with their constituant's taxes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: