SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Democrats take the House majority
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
LC, is there really evidence of this:

Quote:
Bush has said he will sign any gun restriction bills sent to him.

Or is this just another of the unsupported outrageous claims that I'm seeing all over the net today and yesterday where Conservatives are trying to find someone to blame, and are turning on Bush en masse? (Not wanting to accept any responsibility that their constant trash-talking of Republican leadership in the last year; their excessive. uninformed knee-jerk reactions to things like Dubai ports deal; and their coming across to Hispanic voters that they're not welcome here - just might have had something to do with why so many people - Independents and moderate Republicans - chose to support the Democrats.)

This is nothing new. It came out in 2000 and 2004 during the Bush campaigns that he was in favor of extending or replacing the 1994 Assult Weapon ban and is in favor of restricting or banning gun shows. Don't be surprised if he signs a bill much worse than the last one passed by the Democrats under Clinton in 1994. This time, it probably will be paterned after California's bans with no grandfather clause for keeping them. Our only prayer will be a filibuster in the Senate.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:

Bush & Gun Control
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
FYI:

Bush & Gun Control

After reading everything in the link, I get the impression that Bush has had a fairly consistent position on the subject. Enforcing existing firearms laws and, in general, supporting the 2nd Amendment. Maybe some grey areas about waiting periods and high-capacity magazines, but nothing earth-shaking.

I got a kick out of Lurch's claim that:

Quote:
"I am a hunter. I'm a gun owner. I'm also a former law enforcement officer. I ran one of the largest district attorney's offices in America. I know something about prosecuting."

"I, I, I, I, I ......" ("Kin I get me a huntin' license here?") What a maroon.

Unless the Dems attach a far-reaching gun control bill to something important like the military appropriations bill, or a new courthouse for Robert Byrd, I don't think we need worry too much.

My concealed carry permit is current. Cold, dead fingers and all that. Confused

Schadow
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, I'm buying 30 and 40 rounds magazines and .223 ammo for my AR-15s. That's AR-15s as in more than one.

I wonder what the Assault Weapons ban Commies would think of the Kel-Tec PLR-16 Pistol I have in my truck. I can't figure out why it has sights. No bayonet lug so I don't think it's considered an assault weapon.

KEL-TEC.com
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A footnote to my post about the election of the first Muslim member of the House of Representatives:

Quote:
Allahu Akbar, y'all

Tuesday night Keith Ellison celebrated his victory in Minnesota's Fifth District congressional race before a crowd that chanted "Allahu Akbar." Next week Ellison celebrates with CAIR and a few other of its Democratic friends at CAIR's annual banquet. Here is CAIR's press release:

Quote:
In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FIRST MUSLIM IN CONGRESS TO SPEAK AT CAIR EVENT IN VA
Keith Ellison will join other elected officials at annual banquet

(WASHINGTON, D.C., 11/9/06) - The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) announced today that Keith Ellison, the first Muslim in Congress, will join other elected officials as a keynote speaker November 18th at the Washington-based civil rights group's 12th Annual Banquet in Arlington, Va.

CAIR's dinner, which in past years had sold-out crowds of more than 1,000, will feature addresses by Representative-elect Ellison (D-MN) and Reps. Elijah Cummings (D-MD), Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX) and Albert Wynn (D-MD).

Other speakers at the event include a representative of the FBI and Amy Goodman of Democracy Now. Attendees will include many Muslim and interfaith leaders, diplomats from Muslim nations and American Muslim community activists.

To learn more about CAIR's dinner, or to register online, go to:
https://www.cair.com/2006banquet/

Ellison won Tuesday's election in Minnesota's 5th Congressional District by a more than two-to-one margin. He will be the first American Muslim to hold elected office at the national level.

"We are honored to have the first American Muslim elected to Congress offer his first major address during our annual banquet," said CAIR Executive Director Nihad Awad.

CAIR, America's largest Islamic civil liberties group, has 32 offices and chapters nationwide and in Canada. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.

Source

I wonder how many European countries' embrace of Islam started with an event such as this.

Schadow
minnie presley
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know the name of the bill rangel is trying to put through to bring back the draft, it was on ann coulter board but I cannot find it, I would like to e-mail it to my leftie neighbour, her grandchildren are all of the age to be drafted and I want her to know she will be contributing to this, also when rangel introduces this I want all the republicans and the president to vote and appprove it, also I am very upset with dubya why is he sucking up to polosi and reid and of all people durtin, the next 2 years are going to be hard, I see it as 1971 again I cannot beleive the majority of americans voted these idiots in
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnie, Rangel's last proposal for a draft was defeated in 2004. As of right this minute, I don't think he has an actual bill pending, yet.

Here are some links to mentions of various Democrats either hiniting at or calling for a draft;

Rangel Interview, ABC

Biden on draft, June 2005

The Hill, Various Calls

American Thinker, Nov 2006

Rangel renews call for draft, 2005

Pelosi Website, A New Direction

This last one I supply for you to read her 31 page pdf booklet, A New Direction for America." In it, she "promises" Democrats will "double the size of the Special Forces." How does she propose that? Does she believe young men will march to the recruitment offices simply because they run things now?
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now I do have a question. Why does Pelosi think that increasing the troop strength of Special Forces is helpful ???? Hmmmm.....maybe I'm being just a tad dense here.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Democrats will "double the size of the Special Forces." How does she propose that? Does she believe young men will march to the recruitment offices simply because they run things now?

The only way the DemoLibs can double the Special Forces is to lower the acceptance standards, and then they won't be that SPECIAL anymore. It's like the way the dems do education. If not enough students are making it, they don't increase the level of instruction, they dumb-down the requirements to pass and pat themselves on the back for pushing through a bunch of functional illiterates.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Pelosi's "A New Direction for America" booklet;

Quote:
REAL SECURITY - AT HOME AND OVERSEAS
Reclaim American leadership with a tough, smart plan to transform failed Bush Administration policies in Iraq, the Middle East and around the world. Require the Iraqis to take responsibility for their country
and begin the phased redeployment of U.S. forces from Iraq in 2006. Double the size of Special Forces to destroy Osama Bin Laden and terrorist networks like al Qaeda. Rebuild a state-of-the-art military capable of projecting power wherever necessary. Implement the bipartisan 9/11 Commission proposal to secure America’s borders and ports and screen 100% of containers. Fully man, train, and equip our National Guard and our police, firefighters and other first responders. Honor our commitments to our veterans.

Quote:
To Ensure Unparalleled Military Strength and Honor Our Troops, we will:
Rebuild a state-of-the-art military by making the needed investments in equipment and manpower so that we can project power to
protect America wherever and whenever necessary.

Guarantee that our troops have the protective gear, equipment, and training they need and are never sent to war without accurate intelligence and a strategy for success.

Enact a GI Bill of Rights for the 21st Century that guarantees our troops -- active, reserve, and retired -- our veterans, and their families
receive the pay, health care, mental health services, and other benefi ts they have earned and deserve.

Strengthen the National Guard, in partnership with the nation’s Governors,
to ensure it is fully manned, equipped and available to meet missions at home and abroad.

WAR ON TERROR

To Defeat Terrorists and Stop the Spread of Weapons of Mass Destruction, we will:
Eliminate Osama Bin Laden, destroy terrorist networks like al Qaeda, finish the job in Afghanistan, and end the threat posed by the
Taliban.

Double the size of our Special Forces, increase our human intelligence capabilities, and ensure our intelligence is free from political
pressure.

Eliminate terrorist breeding grounds by combating the economic, social, and political conditions that allow extremism to thrive; lead international efforts to uphold and defend human rights; and renew longstanding alliances that have advanced our national security objectives.

Secure by 2010 loose nuclear materials that terrorists could use to build nuclear weapons or “dirty bombs.” Redouble efforts to stop nuclear weapons development in Iran and North Korea.

HOMELAND SECURITY

To Protect America from Terrorism and Natural Disasters, we will:

Immediately implement the recommendations of the independent,
bipartisan 9/11 Commission including securing national borders, ports, airports and mass transit systems.

Screen 100% of containers and cargo bound for the U.S. in ships or airplanes at the point of origin and safeguard America’s nuclear and
chemical plants and food and water supplies.

Prevent outsourcing of critical components of our national security infrastructure --such as ports, airports and mass transit -- to
foreign interests that put America at risk.

Provide firefighters, emergency medical workers, police officers, and other workers on the front lines with the training, staffing, equipment, and cutting-edge technology they need.

Protect America from biological terrorism and pandemics, including the Avian flu, by investing in the public health infrastructure and training public health workers.

IRAQ

To Honor the Sacrifice of Our Troops, we will:

Ensure 2006 is a year of significant transition to full Iraqi sovereignty, with the Iraqis assuming primary responsibility for securing and
governing their country and with the responsible redeployment of U.S. forces.

Insist that Iraqis make the political compromises necessary to unite their country and defeat the insurgency; promote regional diplomacy; and strongly encourage our allies and other nations to play a constructive role.

Hold the Bush Administration accountable for its manipulated pre-war intelligence, poor planning and contracting abuses that have placed our troops at greater risk and wasted billions of taxpayer dollars.

Hang on to your wallets, America, what I see proposed, if even half is actually done, will mean more taxes than we have ever seen before.

Go to Nancy Pelosi's web site I linked above to download your own pdf copy of this "booklet" and their "promises."
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelosi and Reid apparently have a growing problem. The lib blogs are beside themselves because of a perceived abandonment of the Dem left due to P&R's announcement that they were going to "govern from the center". I don't personally believe them for a minute but the Left Wing Dems are taking them at their word and are going ballistic.

The ACLU, for instance, is demanding repeal of the "most controversial" portions of the Patriot Act as well as repeal of the foreign wire surveillance program. The abortion lobby is demanding more "family planning" options and suppression of W's focus on abstinence. Labor unions are demanding universal health care. A group called "Win Without War", headed by former congressman Tom Andrews is saying withdraw from Iraq now. The head of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence acknowledges the challenge of persuading squeamish Dems that his group's cause is not "radioactive". And on and on.

These are but examples of the Left decrying Dem party centrists as out of touch with those what brung 'em to the dance.

It seems to me that the new Dem majority will have its hands full balancing their disparate factions which have been hungry since Newt gave them the boot in '94. With a steady hand on the tiller, W may have a good chance to steer through the chaos in good shape for the 2+ years remaining. And, if Dem governance is perceived to be chaotic during that time, '08 could be a winner for the GOP. As you can tell, I feel there must be a pony in there somewhere.

Schadow
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary to think that someone this 'pie in the sky' delusional is 3rd in line for the presidency.
She has no concept of reality.
Dusty
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schadow,

I think I heard Newt recently predict that the Dems were going to have a real internal struggle within 90 days between the leftie electorate that thinks they just inherited the moon and the elected who either are more centrist or know that going too far left will expose them to electoral disaster should we be hit again on our soil.

Last edited by homesteader on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homesteader wrote:
...shoul(d we) be hit again on our soil.

The 800lb gorilla in the middle of the room. Should that occur, all bets are off and the Democrats will be riding shotgun in a whole new ballgame.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
homesteader wrote:
...shoul(d we) be hit again on our soil.

The 800lb gorilla in the middle of the room. Should that occur, all bets are off and the Democrats will be riding shotgun in a whole new ballgame.

If, God forbid, we sustain another hit, the lefty kooks will claim Bush and Rove did it just like they brought down the World Trade Center with explosives. The really extreme left fringe inmates are seriously deranged. I'm gonna have to quit reading them. Rolling Eyes

Schadow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: