SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inhofe Vows To Stop "Live Earth" At Capitol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Inhofe Vows To Stop "Live Earth" At Capitol Reply with quote

Quote:
Inhofe vows to put brakes on Gore’s ‘Live Earth’ concert at Capitol
By Elana Schor
March 28, 2007

~snip~
Inhofe’s latest challenge to Gore comes after their forceful exchange during last week’s hearing in the environment committee, when Chairwoman Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) stepped in to stop Inhofe from dictating terms of response to the 2000 presidential nominee. Gore declined to sign a personal energy usage pact proffered by Inhofe.

The Mall is already booked during the July 7 date slated for Live Earth, so the exigent need to secure use of the Capitol led Rules Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) to support unanimous passage, Rules staff director Howard Gantman said.
“They have made it clear that they’re opposed to it,” Gantman said of the GOP. “They’re blocking passage of the bill. As far as next steps, if Republicans wanted to discuss their opposition, we would do so.”

Chad Griffin, an adviser to Live Earth, was taken aback by Inhofe’s objections to using the Capitol to promote environmental health. The West Front was used to inaugurate Earth Day in a 1990 event, for which Gore, a former senator, sponsored the authorizing resolution.

“This is a totally non-partisan event,” Griffin said, noting that Reid cosponsored the concert resolution with Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine).

The Capitol concert would be free of charge, incurring a $5 million cost to Live Earth. Promoters would recoup that amount if they were forced to choose another venue, Griffin said. Reid added language to the resolution ensuring that the Capitol Police would be reimbursed in advance for their estimated $1.5 million in security costs.

“It was a priority for Live Earth that the taxpayers not pay a single dime” for the show, Griffin said. “Given that, we remain optimistic.”

Cont'd The Hill

This is confusing. Does this "love fest" for Algore cost us, the taxpayers, or not?
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Inhofe Vows To Stop "Live Earth" At Capitol Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
This is confusing. Does this "love fest" for Algore cost us, the taxpayers, or not?

It is somewhat confusing but, as I read it, it would be of no cost to the taxpayers. Well, thanks for NOTHING. Like taxpayers MIGHT be expected to support this preposterous fraud? Good Lord...WHAT has Olympia Snowe been drinking?

Inhofe for PRESIDENT
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were a Fred Thompson fan Laughing
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1991932 wrote:
I thought you were a Fred Thompson fan Laughing

Him too Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: