SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We may lose a battle, but let’s not lose the war.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot can happen between now and November....I hate to say it but with McCain's age who knows if this will hurt him or not. I know one of the reasons I did not care for Bob Dole was HIS age!!!!

It would irriate me when I would listen to conservatives say that if Rudy got the nomination they would stay home; I argued that did nothing but put a liberal democrat in office...and you know that I am NOT a McCain supporter...do not like him at all. I have argued that I do not know if I can actually pull the trigger and seriously considered writing in a name rather than voting for McCain, but I know what happened when I took the high road and could not vote for Bush Sr in the 2nd election and voted for Ross Perot...Clinton's took office for 8 years...I am not willing to allow Obama or Clinton a chance at winning the election.

I will sit back and watch what happens as we see Obama possibly loosing the advantage and who knows what else will come out between now and November because I always said Hillary will not go down easily and without a fight..she will fight dirty and hard for the nomination and she will not let Obama get it even at the cost of splitting the DNC (how I would love to see that happen). Plus what people say and do may be two different things...noone would dream of saying they won't vote for Obama because he is black...I have co-workers who I know would note vote for Obama because of his race, but they would not dream of actually saying that. Racism does excist on both sides and we saw with Rev Wright...people just will not admit it.

I do understand why the conservatives are upset with McCain and I have to agree that conservatives did not vote for McCain...my impression of John McCain has changed very little...I still don't like him and I despise when he says "friends"...he is no friend of the conservatives in the party and I feel that he stuck his finger in our faces too many times to trust the man...but the other choices I cringe at that thought.

Time will tell...because at the beginning McCain was out and Hillary had the nomination locked up. I think McCain can pick up some voters depending on who he chooses as a VP because with his age that is one thing people will consider. So who will it be? We will see. I am going to sit back and just watch. It should prove to be intersting to say the least.

Obama has the most liberal voting record in the Senate...even over Hillary and Kennedy....scary is it not that this is not the issue that is being brought out. Hillary is saying she will put the troops out within what was it 90 days of being elected???? Regardless of what the status or her Generals tell her. These are issues McCain can win on if he is willing to bring these to the front and fight. I am not sure McCain can! Will he do it? Who knows...he claims he respects Obama and Clinton and thus alienates the party further.

We will see....we will see. So much to consider and so little to choose from. How sad.
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coldwarvet wrote:
dcornutt wrote:
It was not a "strategy" to run a far left candidate. McCain was not appointed by the RNC. He rose up through the field (from the very bottom I might add) and is being elected/nominated by voters who will determine the outcome of these elections.

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, It was independents, democrats, and republican moderates who voted for McCain. The true conservative vote got split between Romney, Huckabee, and Thompson.

I'm sorry, my friend. But even a summary examination of the data in this primary does not bare you out. There are many points to be made, none of which support your conclusion, including that not every state even allows cross voting. And in at least one place I know of, the RNC wanting to keep their presidential primary elections "pure", don't even allow independents to vote in the RNC primary. McCain won there as well.

Futher, the independent voters mostly went for DNC (obama/hillary)..not McCain. In those areas where democrats did cross vote, they did in very small numbers compartively...and not all of them voted for McCain. Romney as well as Huck got their share too. In NH, McCain got 911 crossover votes to Romney's 632. That's less than a 300 point difference between them, and not even stasticially relevant to his win margin. By contrast, Hillary and Obama got well over 3,000 cross over "republican" votes. Guess some of those "real" republicans were listening and turning out in big numbers to throw away their vote.

In many states, McCain carried the RNC voters as well. I guess all the "Real" republicans were out voting for Obama?? Unfortunatley, the data trend is, that the longer the primary went on, as McCain rose up, the percentage of republcians cross voting went up. And which RNC voters do you think those people were? McCain supporters? I don't think so.

What the results show is that you got what you wanted/asked for/voted for. That's what happened.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcornutt, Do you really want to go here? Remember the last time you challenged my MN Republican platform as not being conservative.

Show me the state where McCain got the majority of the conservative vote. Here is a link that may help you with your search. Perhaps you might find one of the later states, after McCain was the only horse left in the race.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21228184

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coldwarvet wrote:
dcornutt, Do you really want to go here? Remember the last time you challenged my MN Republican platform as not being conservative.

Show me the state where McCain got the majority of the conservative vote. Here is a link that may help you with your search. Perhaps you might find one of the later states, after McCain was the only horse left in the race.

McCain IS the nominee of the RNC. Last I looked, that's the republican party for everybody...not just MN, and not just some far wing of the party in MN or anywhere else. I'm quite aware of the fact that there are people in the RNC who believe others are not conservative enough for them and should not be in the party...and that this faction of voters voted primarily for people other than McCain (including Obama and Hillary). I didn't say McCain won the "conservative" vote of the RNC party. I said McCain won the vote of RNC voters. To some people, "Republican" still includes all the registered republicans voters and not just a select group within the party.

I guess it would be too much to ask that you could even understand that even the polling data you posted doesn't support your notion that the reason McCain won was "democrats and independents" voted for him? Because maybe if you looked, you'd see they voted for Romney and Huck as well. And that the margin of difference between them wasn't nearly as great on those cross over votes in those categories as it was for the RNC very conservative votes.

Here's Zogby on polling data prior to super Tuesday as well.

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1446

Lastly, I did not "challenge you" on your MN RNC party PDF you posted. You posted that document as some kind of laundry list of what a true consevative is, your opinion...and I simply disagreed with you and did not find anything in it to hold over McCain's head.

Your response about Kyoto was not very convincing to me given the quote was taken out of context , which I pointed out. You offered that you could go on (Kerry, etc) without doing so. But, as I said before, fair enough. Your opinion/beliefs. I just happen to disagree with you.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcornutt wrote:
I think the GOP managed to damage itself well enough without McCain's help.
Exactly so! ...and even tho' this august group had discussed McCain in the same terms as Keryy (re:destroying the POW 'process' in Congress)...with the same result, ie Vote against, not for, the pair that ended any progress on the POW/MIA front. I myself expanded the concept. deciding that I couldn't in good conscience vote for a Vietnam Vet...we all have baggage that 'gets in the way' of presidential decisions, some of us have just less baggage than others. So I saw Keryyy as the end of an era...and, as so often happens with 'forecasts', was dead wrong.

Now, with 20-20 hindsight, recognizing this august group (specially you PoW's), in spite of the above, we see McCain as the 'presumptive' anti-Communist (we hope) candidate. We may not have 'picked him', but he's there nonetheless. Now to my point...since many of us see the Demevaporate Party gone by the wayside, replaced by the CPUSA (communist party USA) dragging the Repub Party to the left as well, it may well be true that the ONLY bridge back to reality is via a RINO POW! ...the ONLY bridge!...a Viet Vet...who at times both sides have hated, and at times both have supported! Then, Given a 4 year moratorium from Over Regulation by a Dem Congress/Dem Pres destroying our economy (specially in its current fragile state), creeping (hopefully) back to reasonable spending, getting rid of Earmarks( a McCain goal), and a little luck, we can see a more normal election in 2012!
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcornutt wrote:
coldwarvet wrote:

McCain IS the nominee of the RNC. Last I looked, that's the republican party for everybody...not just MN, and not just some far wing of the party in MN or anywhere else. I'm quite aware of the fact that there are people in the RNC who believe others are not conservative enough for them and should not be in the party...and that this faction of voters voted primarily for people other than McCain (including Obama and Hillary). I didn't say McCain won the "conservative" vote of the RNC party. I said McCain won the vote of RNC voters. To some people, "Republican" still includes all the registered republicans voters and not just a select group within the party.

I guess it would be too much to ask that you could even understand that even the polling data you posted doesn't support your notion that the reason McCain won was "democrats and independents" voted for him? Because maybe if you looked, you'd see they voted for Romney and Huck as well. And that the margin of difference between them wasn't nearly as great on those cross over votes in those categories as it was for the RNC very conservative votes.

Here's Zogby on polling data prior to super Tuesday as well.

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1446

Lastly, I did not "challenge you" on your MN RNC party PDF you posted. You posted that document as some kind of laundry list of what a true consevative is, your opinion...and I simply disagreed with you and did not find anything in it to hold over McCain's head.

Your response about Kyoto was not very convincing to me given the quote was taken out of context , which I pointed out. You offered that you could go on (Kerry, etc) without doing so. But, as I said before, fair enough. Your opinion/beliefs. I just happen to disagree with you.

McCain IS the nominee of the RNC. Last I looked, that's the republican party for everybody...not just MN, and not just some far wing of the party in MN or anywhere else.

CWV. MN is hardly a far wing of the party. It is blue with a RINO governor Pawlenty, and a RINO senator Coleman.

I guess it would be too much to ask that you could even understand that even the polling data you posted doesn't support your notion that the reason McCain won was "democrats and independents" voted for him?

If you are going to make reference to my writing please keep in context.

CWV wrote; Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, It was independents, democrats, and republican moderates who voted for McCain. The true conservative vote got split between Romney, Huckabee, and Thompson.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! That's the pot calling the kettle black now isn't it!

But, if you need more clarification I'll be glad to oblige as it's not difficult:

Quote:
CWV wrote; Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, It was independents, democrats, and republican moderates who voted for McCain. The true conservative vote got split between Romney, Huckabee, and Thompson.

So, lets check this against the MN data you provided a link to:

The first assumption I would make, and you can correct it if it's wrong, is that by "true conservatives" you meant the voters who described themselves in these exist polls as "very conservative" as opposed to somewhat conservative, moderate or somewhat liberal, or very liberal. (Your call)

You said above, "The true consevative vote got split between Romney, Huckabee and Thompson"_I'm assuming you are reasoning this is the reason Romney lost. Lets check that against the data your linked:

The "true consevatives" represented 24% of the vote total and the break down in MN was: 2% for Gulliani, 24% for Huckabee, 1% for Hunter, 11% for McCain, 6% for Ron Paul, 48% for Romney and 8% for Thompson.

McCain had more of these voters than Thompson did. Hell, Ron Paul got 6% of them. Out of the "true conservative" vote in MN, the top 3 vote getters were Romney, Huck and McCain. Not Thompson. Thompson was 4th. You'lll also note that the entire "true conservative vote" only represented 1/4 of the total RNC vote. Let me say that again, the entire "true conservative vote" (as defined by you) represented 1/4 of the total RNC voters in MN. (the page of data you chose to make your point on).

The "true conservative vote" in MN also got split more than 3 ways and that even combined (all the "true conservative votes" would not be enough to have carried the race for any one candidate. But lets keep going.

The somewhat conservative and moderate reupblican voters were 65% of the total vote and was split thusly: 7% Gulliani, 27% Huckabee, 72% McCain, 13% Paul, and 69% Romney, 8% Thompson. Wait a min? 69% of the "moderate" vote was Romney? How could that be?. Huck was a distant 3rd. Well, that doesn't seem to fit your statement either. (as I said before).

SURELY then, the MN example data you posted would show the 12% total Liberal vote all went to McCain? Lets look: out of those voters who considered themselves "somewhat liberal to very liberal": 7% voted for Gulliani, 14% voted for Huckabuck, 32% voted for McCain, 9% for Ron Paul, 34% for Romney and 1% for Thompson.

Romney had the most liberal votes at 34% in MN data you posted, to McCain's 32%. Huck again took a distant 3rd at 14%.

Will there be anything else?
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcrnutt

I have to agree with cwv on this one. EVERYONE I know of (with the exception of ONE) person that I know of voted for either Romney or Huckabee.

I still have yet to make up my mind if I am EVEN going to vote for McCain.

All I see in this race is 3 liberal candidates and one who claims we still stay the course in Iraq...no difference outsite of that. I know I SHOULD vote for McCain and my mind tells me I should vote for McCain but my heart tells me he is not much of a better choice and maybe I should just write in a name....because I truly dislike John McCain....true I dislike Clinton and Obama more but that really does not ease my heart any.
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lots of very conservative friends who feel the same. No problem.
Nationwide, the RNC has always been a big tent. And the more moderate of the party has followed the lead of the more conservative wing of the party who's had the helm of the party in the past.

That's obviously changing and some people can't a) accept it, or b) deny it c) resent it, don't think it should happen etc., etc.,

But, it IS happening.

And I've already stated the reasons why I think it's so. You can disagree with that (ie..the reasons it's shifted). But, you cannot deny that it has.
Its as clear as the statisics on your face.

Last edited by dcornutt on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theresa Alwood wrote:
...All I see in this race is 3 liberal candidates and one who claims we still stay the course in Iraq...no difference outsite of that. ...

So, Obama and Hillary are both pro life who wish to elect conservative juidges to overturn roe?

Obama and Hillary both want to make the tax cuts permenant?

McCain wants a universal health care plan??
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fiscal, foreign policy, and national defence conservative. I am also a social liberal. This qualifies me as a Libertarian who registers and votes as a moderate Republican. McCain should make me happy, but he really scares me. My current choices are to vote for Ralph Nader or a write-in candidate. I don't vote Libertarian because most of them scare me more than McCain and they have no chance of winning. A McCain/Rice ticket might sway me to vote for them. I have strongly supported every Republican candidate since 1952. I can not support McCain this year. I may write in Zell Miller's name.
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCain is NOT a conservative! No matter how hard the GOP tries to force him down our throat he is not our first choice...he was not even my LAST choice...he is the ONLY choice and that "my friend" I think is sad....I hate when I feel like I am being forced to vote for someone I dislike.

McCain/Feingold mean anything to you? It means the suppression of Freedom of Speech. How about McCain/Kennedy? It means amensty to all illegal aliens and allowing the SS benefits and health care benefits of Medicaid. How about McCain/Lieberman? .50 cents a gallon of gas tax increase means that I won't be able to go anywhere but work and home.

McCain voted AGAINST the Bush Tax cuts. Regarldess of what his so called reason is now...he voted against them then. Remember the Republican Gang that Senator McCain was so proud of? How many times did Senator McCain cross over party lines to work with the democrats. It was even reported at one time that Senator McCain was considering changing his party affilation.

Just because someone is pro-life does not make them a conservative. I am pro-choice and I consider myself a conservative. I am not and never will be a one issue voter. I believe abortions should be left up to the states and never the Federal Government.

Most of us all have our different perspective on various of issues...but what we all believe in is God, Honor and Country. That is the one issue we all stand firm in and hold together.

So I can respectfully disagree with your support of Senator McCain I can not. I am still not sure I will pull the lever for him. If McCain continues with the comments he is making to reach over to the libs he will loose my vote...I will write in someone. My vote should not be just considered a give in because he is on the GOP ticket.
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor have I suggested you should not vote your heart/mind.
What I have suggested is that some of the things expressed around here, like the notion that "there is no differences between McCain, Obama and Hillary" is not factually accurate and ridiculous on its face.

There are differences. Big differences. Differences at a fundamental level and of a conservative nature (which I pointed out). There may not exist the differences you would like to see or in the particular areas you'd like to see them in. You may disagree with him on a fundemental level on any given policy, as I do—particularly on immigration as I do with Bush as well. That doesn't make McCain a "Liberal" in the sense of ..ie. not different than Hillary or Obama or any other far leftwing DNC senator. Nor would the RNC allow him to carry the nomination of the party if they believed, knowing the same things you do, that to be true.

Write in anyone you want. Get the word out. Let people know what you are doing. If enough of you do so, perhaps you can submarine McCain and ensure a DNC victory. Or perhaps you'll gain some "leverage" within the RNC to get some more of the things you want within the party—perhaps chaining a VP choice to McCain that will sink him like a rock. When Hillary or Obama takes the presidency and 2 liberal justices suddenly retire vacating their positions on the supreme court leaving them and a DNC backed congress to appoint new ones for life....you are going to understand what the difference was between McCain and the others. I fear at that point, there will be nothing left for a party that no longer has relevance or power in gov to do anything but list grievences they are powerless to change.

Recognizing that there is nothing wrong with standing on principal, people "do" aready know what Liberals are and what they will do. And they are voting for them. The disasters that follow are not going to be a surprise to them....they want it that way. They are voting for them to "make it" that way. They aren't going to care that you are outraged by it. There isn't going to be a great coming to sense of the general voting public to come running to the RNC on principal seeking guidance and putting them back into power. We are all still going to be who we are at the end of this excercise. In that regard, I would be careful what you choose to give away....particularly if you are under the assumption that it will be returned to you. It may not be. You may find yourself without what you started with, and powerless to do anything about it as well. Just a thought.
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a seperate post I would address a couple of other things:

McCain is a "republican".

At the "time", McCain expressed differences with his collegues in the RNC over their, shall we say....over exhuberant spending of money. He expressed to them his opinion as a fiscal conservative, based on principal, that the tax cut bill should "also" contain some level of agreed upon spending control/cuts. He had the support of other Republicans on this, but was rejected by the powers that be. He opposed that bill on "principal"...something that most conservatives you would think would agree with or at least could understand. Without spending cuts, the tax cuts would not be effective. You generate more income, then spend it all. That's not fiscal conservative policy. Democrats and others voted against the bill for their "own" reasons. To believe he opposed tax cuts is about as close to reality as believing he wants to fight a war in Iraq for 100 years.

I have always admired McCain for standing on his principals (even though I may have disagreed with him on any given issue just as you say), and reaching out across the ailse. In that regard, the POTUS is not a partisan position. There is only one president, there are many senators and representatives who carry different interests. I also understand McCain has thrown the same people "out' of his office when what they bring to him, is not something he believes in. He works on princpal and issues he believes in and has a record of working with others to get things done. I don't necessarily find those bad qualities for a President. I can tell you for sure, both Obama and Hillary do NOT share those qualities.

And I agree, McCain Feingold was a typical piece of congress legislation that ended up not doing what it was supposed to do and not one of John's finner moments. . But, I also recognize that this obviously was not his intention for the bill anymore than it was Bush's "intention" to have Iraq turn into a meat grinder for these many years.

I have no issue with disagreement or differences in policy anyone may have with any candidate on any given issue. I'm not exactly so sure thats been the central core of some of the argument I've heard.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcornutt wrote:
McCain is a "republican".

A republican who has entertained the idea of switching parties for several years.
Suppose he makes that switch a few days after taking office?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: