SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New 527 to hit the streets shortly
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfrader
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: New 527 to hit the streets shortly Reply with quote

News on the street is that a new 527 for Bush is going to hit the ground with $35 Million, will be putting ads in battleground states. Wonder if Kerry will cry in his milk and demand the President stop them too? Wink
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfrader --- Where are you hearing this? What is the name -- how does one donate?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving this too geedunk, shortly, but it will be interesting to see if the MSM gets all up in arms over this - they've looked on for a year now while moveon.org has trashed the President at every opportunity. Nary a squeak from them.

Turn about SHOULD be in order - but, I won't hold my breath.
Wink
frankzzz
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any law against 527 groups talking to each other?

If this group has $35 Million, they may have a list of sympathetic big-money donors.

Just a thought.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankzzz wrote:
Is there any law against 527 groups talking to each other?

If this group has $35 Million, they may have a list of sympathetic big-money donors.

Just a thought.

I vote we don't go there.

There are enough problems with this:
Quote:
It was further disclosed late Tuesday that the Bush campaign's chief outside counsel, Ben Ginsberg, has also been giving legal advice to the Swift Boat group.

which prompted Ben Ginsburg to quit the Bush campaign:
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5818431/

and John McCain is about to be called into question: (Drudge report)
Quote:
MCCAIN NOT A SIGNATORY

The Kerry letter was not signed by Republican Sen. John McCain, a fellow Vietnam veteran who has urged Bush to condemn the ads. McCain was scheduled to campaign next week with Bush before the Republican convention.
RocketFett
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankZ, that's a great thought! If that could happen, that could add TONS of cash to SBVT and they could literally saturate the air waves of all states that kerry is just a few points ahead in, tied in, or just barely behind in to lock them out of his sight! That would be awesome! Has either of the SBVT ads shown during the evening news of the major networks nightly news? I don't watch those so that I don't lose IQ points from seeing the first ten minutes of blatant misrepresentation and lies. Smile
sfrader
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info is posted on Hugh Hewitt's website....here's the jist...

How will Kerry's allies in big media spin this news, from the Wall Street Journal:

"A political group recently formed by backers of President Bush has amassed a treasure chest of $35 million and plans a barrage of commercials criticizing Democratic challenger Sen. John Kerry, even though the president this week denounced such outside organizations for running negative campaign ads.

The Progress for America Voter Fund was launched in May after the Federal Election Commission refused to shut down a crop of well-funded liberal organizations that were going after the president. Those groups, known as 527s, had formed quickly and begun raising large sums in the wake of new campaign laws, gaining a substantial edge on Republicans. Now, in an election already steamrolling fund-raising records, the new Republican group's deep pockets -- matching those of some of the big Democratic groups -- seem sure to set up an intense, and highly partisan, big-money battle on airwaves this fall."

Hard to denounce a 527 that is anti-Kerry after anti-Bush 527s have spent more than $60 million against W. The big difference, of course, is that MoveOn and The Media Fund haven't been very effective because the wild-eyed loons and Hollywood types are not very effective at grasping what moves a red state voter, or even a wobbly blue-state voter. The "My Pet Goat" stuff is great for the sufferers of Moore's Disease, but ordinary Americans think it is childish. I suspect the pro-Bush folks are going to be much, much more sophisticated in their appeals to voters:

"Progress for America plans to begin airing ads today in two battleground states, Wisconsin and Iowa, says Mr. McCabe. The ads question whether Sen. Kerry would have adequately handled the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks.

One of the commercials opens with the smoky ruins of the Twin Towers and moves to several pictures of Mr. Bush with New York firefighters and other rescue workers. A narrator praises Mr. Bush's leadership, and asks: "But what if Bush wasn't there? Could John Kerry have shown this leadership?" Then the ad ticks off votes by Sen. Kerry that it portrays as being against intelligence and Defense Department budgets."

Sorry that took so long, guys...been looking for the blip... Razz
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New 527 to hit the streets shortly Reply with quote

sfrader wrote:
News on the street is that a new 527 for Bush is going to hit the ground with $35 Million, will be putting ads in battleground states. Wonder if Kerry will cry in his milk and demand the President stop them too? Wink
ABC Radio News floated this a while ago, but there's nothing I can find on OpenSecrets.org to corroborate their claim. Nothing on my Internet searches either. I wonder if it's a red herring?

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfrader wrote:
The info is posted on Hugh Hewitt's website....here's the jist...

How will Kerry's allies in big media spin this news, from the Wall Street Journal:

"A political group recently formed by backers of President Bush has amassed a treasure chest of $35 million and plans a barrage of commercials criticizing Democratic challenger Sen. John Kerry, even though the president this week denounced such outside organizations for running negative campaign ads.

The Progress for America Voter Fund was launched in May after the Federal Election Commission refused to shut down a crop of well-funded liberal organizations that were going after the president. Those groups, known as 527s, had formed quickly and begun raising large sums in the wake of new campaign laws, gaining a substantial edge on Republicans. Now, in an election already steamrolling fund-raising records, the new Republican group's deep pockets -- matching those of some of the big Democratic groups -- seem sure to set up an intense, and highly partisan, big-money battle on airwaves this fall."

Hard to denounce a 527 that is anti-Kerry after anti-Bush 527s have spent more than $60 million against W. The big difference, of course, is that MoveOn and The Media Fund haven't been very effective because the wild-eyed loons and Hollywood types are not very effective at grasping what moves a red state voter, or even a wobbly blue-state voter. The "My Pet Goat" stuff is great for the sufferers of Moore's Disease, but ordinary Americans think it is childish. I suspect the pro-Bush folks are going to be much, much more sophisticated in their appeals to voters:

"Progress for America plans to begin airing ads today in two battleground states, Wisconsin and Iowa, says Mr. McCabe. The ads question whether Sen. Kerry would have adequately handled the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks.

One of the commercials opens with the smoky ruins of the Twin Towers and moves to several pictures of Mr. Bush with New York firefighters and other rescue workers. A narrator praises Mr. Bush's leadership, and asks: "But what if Bush wasn't there? Could John Kerry have shown this leadership?" Then the ad ticks off votes by Sen. Kerry that it portrays as being against intelligence and Defense Department budgets."

Sorry that took so long, guys...been looking for the blip... Razz

Source

Progress For America
Top Contributors, 2004 Cycle

Top Contributors

Chartwell Partners/Jerry Perenchio
$1,000,000

American Financial Group
$500,000

Elliott Capital Advisors Lp
$500,000

Crown American Realty Trust
$150,000

Real Estate Developer
$100,000

Unitemized Contributions Under 200
$11,610

Tjc Llc
$1,000

Progress For America
Total Receipts $2,266,810
Total Expenditures $689,560

NOTE: This data is based on records released by the Internal Revenue Service on Monday, August 23, 2004.

Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Pro-Bush 527 Reply with quote

Maybe somebody from SBVT could contact the "Progress for America Voter Fund" and ask their permission to have a link to SBVT posted on their website, possibly with an ad for the "Unfit for Command" book, or online excerpts. That way, people who are pro-Bush for other reasons (tax cuts, anti-terrorism, pro-life, etc.) might be tempted to visit the SBVT website, with the idea that whatever hurts Kerry will help Bush.
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. We are probably the only 527 out there that is genuinely non-partisan. I think these guys probably are a front for the Bush campaign. I don't condemn Bush....Kerry is doing the same damn thing, but IMHO we meet to be purer than the virgin snow on this.

Truth is Beauty
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
I disagree. We are probably the only 527 out there that is genuinely non-partisan. I think these guys probably are a front for the Bush campaign. I don't condemn Bush....Kerry is doing the same damn thing, but IMHO we meet to be purer than the virgin snow on this.

It's best for SBVFT to keep its hands clean as regards political linkages. The MSM already state that this group is pro-Bush or a republican front, and the only way to disprove that is to show the non-partisan structure.

By the way, why is the news media saying that this "new" 527 has $35 million when their OpenSecrets.org record shows them at around only $2 million?

Leslie
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same reason it says SBVFT only has $200,000 -- a time-lag in reporting. They are dealing with the IRS, after all.... Wink
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leslie wrote:
Same reason it says SBVFT only has $200,000 -- a time-lag in reporting. They are dealing with the IRS, after all.... Wink
The reporting data is as of 23 Aug 04. Unless they've had a major uptake in funds in the past few days, I'd have to wonder about the Progress for America Voter Fund being the "new" 527.

llano
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith Overbearing of MSNBC said something about the demos releasing 14 new 527 ads in New York alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: