SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

taking stock....some worries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe_madeup
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: taking stock....some worries Reply with quote

(1)
If you read UFC, and track the tidbits of info flowing and counter-flowing in the MSM, which mostly uphold UFC in the end....it's clear that each one of Kerry's medals is exaggerated or in some way fraudulent.

But to the swing voter who doesn't follow it all, but only gets "impressions" from MSM headlines and maybe an e-mail that his pushy liberal cousin forwarded from MoveOn.org...I have to believe that to that guy, SBVfT are NOT looking like they have a slam-dunk case, and possibly SBVfT are even looking picky or mean-spirited. I imagine this person thinking, "Well jeez, the bottom line is that Kerry went to Viet Nam."

Agree/disagree? And do we have any "latest" polling data on how the SBVfT claims are coming across to swing voters?

(2)
I think the true heart of the case against Kerry is his after-service activities - where he worked long and hard against the United States and its veterans, and has not apologized to this day.

I am feeling worried that in all the debate over the details of the medals, this bigger case against Kerry is getting lost.

I know the new ad started officially running yesterday - do we have any new info on its reception/effect? Maybe SBVfT should try harder to re-focus the public conversation onto Kerry's evil after-service activities. Agree/disagree?
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, the rumblings and some roars today indicate that Kerrys Post Vietnam Activities will become an issue and not just from this group.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two are NOT mutually exclusive. SBVFT is MODed for multi-tasking, so doing two things (or three, or four, or more) simultaneously is not difficult.

Besides, different things offend different people differently. The more offensive character flaws that support the conclusion that Kerry is unfit to hold the office of POTUS, the better.

People, by and large, tend to be smarter than other people give them credit for.

Except for the MSM. They couldn't find their butt with GPS and both hands.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should stop worrying so much about what the SBVT are doing. They seem to have a very intelligent plan, and it seems to be working quite well. You really, seriously didn't expect the MSM to just roll over and play dead, did you?

Patience, my friend. The truth will out. Those who chose to get all their news from the MSM have chosen to be ignorant. Let him who would be ignorant remain ignorant.

Less than 10% of our forefathers actually fought in the Revolutionary War. Yet we defeated the most powerful nation in the world. The SBVT have the truth on their side, and truth is a powerful force.
joe_madeup
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool; thanks.
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The SBVfT has been very effective. We knew that the SBVT would be smeared from the outset. We knew that the SBVT would not get fair coverage. Eventually we will be able to show a slam-dunk case, and even now our case would win in any fair legal forum...and the Kerry campaign knows it.

This is Chinese Water torture. We don't have to win everyone over today. All we have to do is make Kerry take little hits day after day after day...and he seems to be doing most of our work for us! As I see it the medals flack is a set-up. It raises doubts and HAS raised doubts (the polls are clear on this point) about Kerry's military service record. That makes the audience much more receptive to the rest of the message.

The fact Kerry is responding to this in the worst possible way is pretty nice icing on the cake as well, I must admit. In short, we don't have to protect our credibility as much as make the voters doubt Kerry's. That is a slimy thing to say, but the DEM 527s have done just that to President Bush. Fortunately in our case, we are doing it to get the truth out...but it doesn't change the effectiveness of the tactic.

Truth is Beauty
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry really is responding in the worst possible way and showing his true colors in the process. Had he just ignored the SBVFT, the media might have been successful in making this go away for him (probably not - but the impact would be less and the talking heads would spend less time on it). Instead - he responded with his own "bring it on" moment and the rest will soon be history......

http://tonyk.smugmug.com/photos/1822816-L-1.jpg
USN 1983-1992
ghiapaul
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as days go by, the word is getting out, and very effectively. I gauge it by a local radio talk show. The host is very pro-Kerry, and uses the old two guys, one went one didn't. Well after having it his way last week, the tide is turning. More and more callers are bringing up real good reasons that his theory doesn't wash. Naturally the host hangs up on these people so I know the word is getting out. The more little things about Kerry that get out, are becoming a big reason not to vote for him, and showing how repulsive he is.
xleatherneck
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have to win everyone over today. All we have to do is make Kerry take little hits day after day after day...and he seems to be doing most of our work for us! As I see it the medals flack is a set-up. It raises doubts and HAS raised doubts (the polls are clear on this point) about Kerry's military service record. That makes the audience much more receptive to the rest of the message.

You're both taking hits day after day and it raises doubts both for Kerry's position and yours. That might make the audience curious as to the rest of the message, but there's nothing to suggest that they will be more receptive to your view rather than kerry's in the absence of credibilty.

In short, we don't have to protect our credibility as much as make the voters doubt Kerry's.

You're wrong and you're making a fatal mistake if you believe this.

It is all about credibility.
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xleatherneck,

I disagree. As long as Kerry keeps on attacking us, this story remains in the news. Publicity is good. It prevents Kerry from responding effectively to other issues, and it makes him look like the spoiled brat he is. I might add that the other (Dem) 527s use exactly this same tactic.

No it is NOT all about credibility I am sorry to say. In this respect, the political landscape is one-sided. Move-On (for example) is almost totally discredited, but their ads can (and still do) have political impact.

In addition, you are assuming that the truth won't get out. I happen to be extremely confident (for reasons I won't discuss here) that it will. This issue is going to explode on Kerry and he knows it. If he were as confident as you seem to be, why did he do the dog-and-pony show today.

No.....we are doing it right. In war (and make no mistake this is war), we will take a few hits.

Truth is Beauty
forgivenjojo
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOE MADE UP

I have cried those same concerns on this site and my complaints are not about the actual SWIFT BOAT VETERANS and their performances.

The basic message I keep getting here is dont go out and pass out fliers, run newspaper ads, etc etc. The Swift Boat Veterans are taking care of the media.

We are going to trust the INTERNET to get this thing done, and oh yeah, the Main Stream Media is going to come through for us.

It hasnt happened yet, and it is not going to happen tomorrow.

If anyone reading this message does not believe me then try doing this:

Next time you are out at the grocery store, Wal-mart, Target , Mall, shopping wherever, ask some random people the following questions:

1. Have you heard of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth?
2. How did you here about them?
3. So, Do you believe them or do you believe John Kerry?

I live in a conservative part of Texas, very Bush friendly and very much wanting to see Kerry defeated. I wait tables at a popular restaurant and see different people on a nighly basis. I am constantly asking questions, talking about the Swiftees and promoting them. But even in this area of conservatives, people do not know what to believe, or just dont care.

You wanna know why. It is because of where they are getting their information from. Main Stream Media.

The MSM is out their gauging the public too. They dont have to report the truth because the people are not demanding them too. They are not reporting the truth because they hate GEORGE W. BUSH. The immoral far left hates him because he openly confess that Jesus Christ is his savior.

Their hatred of George W. Bush and what he stands for is causing them to keep a lid on the truth about John Kerry. The Beast protecting the Beast.

any questions?

I almost got to talk to Larry Thurlow today as he was speaking on a national radio show called "POINT OF VIEW". I have gotten on the program before and they had taken my information and had me on standby to talk, but ran out of time. I was going to try and get him to motivate the moderators of this site to put into action a massive paper distribution campaign across the country. Why let 4000 registered users just sit in front of the computer screens when you can get them out on the ground.

I will keep trying, eventually I will get to one of these guys.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgivenjojo wrote:
JOE MADE UP

I have cried those same concerns on this site and my complaints are not about the actual SWIFT BOAT VETERANS and their performances.

The basic message I keep getting here is dont go out and pass out fliers, run newspaper ads, etc etc. The Swift Boat Veterans are taking care of the media.

I believe you have mistaken my intent, then.

I have never ONCE said DO NOT GO OUT AND PASS OUT FLIERS or anything of the sort. ALL I have said is that you should probably run something more than a window sign with the URL on it past media@swiftvets.com to see if they objected to any of the material that you are putting out.

I would do the same thing, myself.

Quote:
We are going to trust the INTERNET to get this thing done, and oh yeah, the Main Stream Media is going to come through for us.

Again you have misunderstood my points.

The bloggers and the web sites were the first to pick this up and run with it and talk radio was right behind. They FORCED the MSM to start working it.

I have no faith in the MSM to "come through for us." I do have faith in word of mouth and I have faith in the truth.

I also have faith in the organization. Look what they have accomplished in a very short time, with very little political know-how. I'm impressed with them all and inspired by what they've done.

Quote:
I was going to try and get him to motivate the moderators of this site to put into action a massive paper distribution campaign across the country. Why let 4000 registered users just sit in front of the computer screens when you can get them out on the ground.

What you don't seem to understand is that the moderators of this forum can BARELY keep this forum half-war organized, free of duplicate topics, free of inappropriate material and trolls.

This forum is not intended as a place to coordinate efforts that go far afield of promoting the Swifts message.

It's our job to try as far as possible, to protect their image and keep the discussions here focused on their message.

We spend up to 14 hours a day on the computer. We do it gladly.

We don't do it for thanks or pay - but we don't need constant grief over every little decision we make, either.

What you want to do on your own time with your own resources is not up to me or anyone else to dictate. I have not presumed to do so, nor has anyone else.

There are free resources available on the internet for forming your own discussion and action groups. There are some things that simply do not belong HERE on this board.

I hope that has cleared up any misunderstandings.

Last edited by Navy_Navy_Navy on Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
xleatherneck
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:

...you are assuming that the truth won't get out. I happen to be extremely confident (for reasons I won't discuss here) that it will.

We're already approximately three to four weeks into the campaign and into phase two of the Swift Boat ads, and you're talking about the truth emerging in future tense.

If you have a credibility problem now, then that is going to affect anything that may come later.

You may know it's the truth, I may know it's the truth, and many here may know it's the truth, but that has little, if any, impact on your target audience.

Ultimately people will throw up their hands and say I don't know who to believe, especially when you have vets appearing in commercials in which it is inferred that they were privy to the events when they were not and by their own admission...and make no mistake that when such things like the latter do happen, it is extremely difficult to defend when someone like myself (and probably many, many others who work behind the scenes on the internet) argue and debate in favor of the SBVfT.

You want to put a backseat to honor and credibility, then fine...just do it without peole like me.
jrsdad
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagl wrote:
Maybe we should stop worrying so much about what the SBVT are doing. They seem to have a very intelligent plan, and it seems to be working quite well. You really, seriously didn't expect the MSM to just roll over and play dead, did you?

Patience, my friend. The truth will out. Those who chose to get all their news from the MSM have chosen to be ignorant. Let him who would be ignorant remain ignorant.

Less than 10% of our forefathers actually fought in the Revolutionary War. Yet we defeated the most powerful nation in the world. The SBVT have the truth on their side, and truth is a powerful force.

Excellent, excellent points. All you can do here is try to fight the best fight you can. And all the mud-slinging against the SBVFT and cries of 'specious" claims, along with MSM neglect, are giving way to hedged headlines ("SBVFT not totally correct"). You do see a desire to discredit SBVFT - doing a Google this afternoon on news showed dozens of MSM outlets carrying the command reports that reflect Kerry's spot reports, without acknowledging (except mentioning Thurlow) that these would naturally reflect what they had received from down the chain.

The battle goes well, I think, given all the forces arrayed against us.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xleatherneck wrote:
Polaris wrote:

...you are assuming that the truth won't get out. I happen to be extremely confident (for reasons I won't discuss here) that it will.

We're already approximately three to four weeks into the campaign and into phase two of the Swift Boat ads, and you're talking about the truth emerging in future tense.

Okay, how about this: "the REST of the truth." Is that better?

Quote:
If you have a credibility problem now, then that is going to affect anything that may come later.

You seem terribly quick to assume that Swifts has a credibility problem. You keep bringing up this negative stuff over and over. Why?

Quote:
You want to put a backseat to honor and credibility, then fine...just do it without peole like me.

Again the implication that we are somehow doing that.

Why?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: