SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need info on Nixon tape of O'Neill & Cambodia reference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sue Bob
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Need info on Nixon tape of O'Neill & Cambodia reference Reply with quote

Trolls are commenting on this at various blogs. What did O'Neill actually say and how can the claim that he told Nixon he was IN Cambodia be countered? I hope this isn't a repeat thread--I haven't mastered the search function.

Thanks
Sue Bob
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the context of my request. This is a quote from the troll on another site:

Quote:
Yet more Navy records support Kerry, according to the Associated Press.

Meanwhile, John O'Neill -- Mr. uber-Swift, he wrote the book, etc. -- has been going on all the shows for weeks saying
that John Kerry never could have been in Cambodia on a black mission. It was impossible because there were all sorts of precautions in place to prevent any border crossings and that he would have been "court-martialed" had he done so.

Now CNN has come up with tapes of O'Neill telling Richard Nixon in 1971 that he himself had been on missions inside Cambodia. From last night's Aaron Brown show ...

O'Neill said no one could cross the border by river and he claimed in an audio tape that his publicist played to CNN that he, himself, had never been to Cambodia either. But in 1971, O'Neill said precisely the opposite to then President Richard Nixon.

O'NEILL: I was in Cambodia, sir. I worked along the border on the water.

NIXON: In a swift boat?

O'NEILL: Yes, sir.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

Now, O'Neill may have an explanation for this but he has not returned CNN's calls. What does seem clear is that a top member of the swift boat group is now being held to the same standard of literal accuracy they've tried to impose on John Kerry.
Reg
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was addressed in "Who's Telling the Truth in the Kerry Ad Controversy?", Hannity and Colmes, 8/25/04

Check this page and especially the map of Bernique's Creek. Kerry had at least one mission along the same waterway (See Kerry spot report 12-14 Feb 1969 anf "TofD" p324-328).

http://www.pcf45.com/sealords/hatien/hatien.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALAN COLMES, CO-HOST: Mr. O'Neill, just in the interest of time, look, there are so many inconsistencies here, in my view, in the swift boat story.

I thank you for being on the show, and again, as you know, I admire your service, as I do all those who served their country, although we may disagree on this issue.

Look, this issue of Cambodia, you said, on George Stephanopoulos' show over the weekend that you knew that Kerry was not in Cambodia, that you could not have been in Cambodia on a swift boat, that he didn't go north of Sadak. They just didn't go that far. You were 15 miles away.

There's a tape of you, as you now know, in the Oval Office, saying you were in Cambodia, you said to Richard Nixon. You worked along the border or you were in Cambodia.

That seems very different than being 15 miles away and saying the swift boats didn't go to Cambodia. So they can't both be true.

O'NEILL: Alan, yes, they are, Alan. It's two different places, Alan. One place is along the Mekong River, right in the heart of the delta. The second place is on the west coast of Cambodia at a place called Ha Tien, where the boundary is right along that border.

Where Kerry was in Christmas of 1968 was on this river, the Mekong River. We got about 40 or 50 miles from the border. That's as close as we ran.

Later, Kerry went, and I went, to a place called Bernique's Creek — that was our nickname for it — at Ha Tien. That was a canal system that ran close to the border, but that wasn't at Christmas for Kerry. That was later for him.

So it's two separate places, Alan, and the story is correct.

COLMES: All right. Well, either you were in Cambodia or Kerry was in Cambodia and you claim he wasn't in Cambodia. You claimed at one point you weren't and then you claimed you were. This is very confusing to people.

O'NEILL: Well, it shouldn't be confused. I was never in Cambodia and Kerry lied when he said he was in Cambodia.

COLMES: You said to Richard Nixon you were in Cambodia.

O'NEILL: And it was the turning point of his life.

COLMES: You said to Richard Nixon, "I was in Cambodia, sir."

HANNITY: On the border.

COLMES: There's a tape of you saying that to Richard Nixon.

O'NEILL: What's the next sentence? I was along the Cambodian border. That's exactly right. What I told Nixon and was trying to tell him in this meeting was I was along the Cambodian border. As Sean clearly read...

COLMES: "I was in Cambodia," Those are your words.

O'NEILL: Yes, but you missed the next sentence. You're not reading the next sentence, Alan.

COLMES: Yes, along the border. But you're in Cambodia or you're not in Cambodia.

O'NEILL: Well, I'm sorry, Alan. I was talking in a conversation. And the first thing, by the way, I told him in the conversation, as you know, was that I was a Democrat and I voted for Hubert Humphrey.
Sue Bob
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Reg.

Does this mean--looking at the map--that because this waterway BORDERS Cambodia it meanders into Cambodian territory? Therefore, this would be a distinction from a claim of going INTO Cambodia like Kerry claimed.

I think that I have a lack of spatial ability here.
Reg
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The waterway in question (Bernique's Creek aka RACH GIANG THAN) is on the Vietnam side of the border.

Kerry is quoted in TofD p.324 that at some points the Cambodian border is about 50 yards away from the waterway. But the patrol route (called in the spot report RACH GIANG THAN/KINH VINH TE PATROLs) was always on the Vietnam side of the border.

So Kerry and O'Neil were "very near" but not "in" Cambodia.

To get a better view of the border area in question scroll down on this map:

http://www.nexus.net/~911gfx/vietnam/maps/nc48-06/nc48_06b.html

The RACH GIANG THAN patrol starts bottom left goes up river to Giang Thanh. If your interested in this look at PCF-94 12-14 Feb spot report at the kerry web site. It gives clear position coordinates as to where Kerry was along this riverway.

Obviously, this is a totally different area of operations than the X-mas eve Sa Dec mission with PCF44.

See my post below as to why this waterway will probably be THE deciding issue regarding Cambodia:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4254
Sue Bob
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Reg.

What I am gathering with regard to John O'Neill's statement is that the context makes it clear that he was speaking of being on the border--not on some mission in Cambodia and he was trying to clarify that point with his second sentence.

The information you gave me as to the border clarifies things.
jrsdad
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reg wrote:
The waterway in question (Bernique's Creek aka RACH GIANG THAN) is on the Vietnam side of the border.

To get a better view of the border area in question scroll down on this map:

http://www.nexus.net/~911gfx/vietnam/maps/nc48-06/nc48_06b.html

Excellent resource! Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: