SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behind you guys 100%

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WBrown
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Behind you guys 100% Reply with quote

I support you guys and your right to free speach 100%.

I'm retired Navy having served on active duty from Nov 1968 through Aug 1997. While I enlisted right in the middle of the Vietnam War, the Navy sent me in the opposite direction after completing Boot Camp, A School and a short tour (due to her decommissioning) on board the USS Georgetown (AGTR2) out of Norfolk. I wound up in Rota, Spain during much of the early 70's. As such, I was out of touch with what was going on with the anti-war movement back in the states. When I did return to CONUS (recruiting duty in Detroit) I was shocked at what I saw on the nightly news. The uniform that I was so proud to wear overseas, suddenly was treated like a handicap or cancer back in my own country. Public schools refused us access, recruiting mail-outs were answered with hate mail and demands to be removed from mailing lists. The recruiiting station and government sedan were frequently vandalized with anti-war grafitti. It wasn't the same country I had left only a few years before. I was glad and relieved when the 3 year shore tour on recruiting duty was over and I could return to sea duty, do my job and once again wear my uniform with pride and without riticule.

Again, I wasn't with you guys over there in Vietnam, so I can't relate or testify to what it was like. But, I certaintly believe your version of what happened over that of John Kerry's who, along with Jane Fonda and the rest of the anti-war crowd, succeeded in turning our country inside out for over a decade, and now braggs about his speaking out against the war and his fellow veterans as if what he did was nobel. While you guys stayed in-country, fighting the fight, while our POW's were tortured in Hanoi, John Kerry and his group strutted around the country proclaiming war crimes and attrocities that dishonored all of us in uniform.

No way do I want this man to be "Commander in Chief."

I'm about half way through your book and I love it. Keep up the good work and fight the good fight. It's your fight that is nobel and honorable!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: