SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amazon.com (against the Swiftees) is at it again!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frogg
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Amazon.com (against the Swiftees) is at it again!!! Reply with quote

Amazon.com just added an important note about doing reviews on "Unfit for Command":

Important note from Amazon.com: We've decided to suspend our normal customer review policies and rules for this title. For example, we usually prohibit ad hominem attacks. That policy in particular seems to be incompatible with presidential election year politics. Therefore, short of obscenities, reviews on this book are now a free-for-all. We take no responsibility for the following discussion. Aren't presidential election years great? Have fun!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0895260174/ref=cm_rv_thx_view/103-6352884-5939822?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

I urge everyone to go to Amazon.com and give the book a five star rating....with a snappy title....even if you limit your review to one sentence!

Here was my review (just sent it today):

No limits to what a few men armed with the "truth" can do, August 29, 2004
Reviewer: Frogg (Virginia) - See all my reviews

I'm real disappointed that Amazon just decided to make this a "political hate" forum by allowing ad hominem attacks rather that real book reviews. There is value to someone's honest opinion (good or bad) about a book they have actually read....but, little value to hate speech.

But, oh well.....that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I have actually read the book. I couldn't put it down until I finished. It is extremely powerful. If I wasn't going to give this book a five star rating anyway....I would have done it just to offset all the liberal trolls who can't stand "free speech".

First part of the book covers Kerry's four months in Vietnam...and, actions around the incidents where he was awarded medals. This part of the book does bring questions about Kerry's character. However, it is the second half of the book that made me literally turn white and sick. Kerry's Vietnam Vets Against the War was a radical group who did things that could easily be called "treasonous"....and, are indeed called treasonous by many vets.

The book is extremely well documented....or, explanations for the basis of the conclusions are layed out for all to judge.

Those who write ad hominem attacks about this book by citing that none of the vets served with Kerry, etc haven't read the book. The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (over 250 vets) include almost the entire chain of command over Kerry while in Vietnam as well 64 eyewitness accounts of people who served in his Division, on boats that went out on missions together, and on Kerry's own boat.

By reading the book.....you can evaluate the facts yourself.
You can believe or not believe. But, one thing is clear to me...

we refused to listen to our veterans in the 1970's when they tried to tell the other side of the story (against Kerry's accusations)...we stifled them (as we allowed Congress to put so much validity into a man (Kerry) who only spent four months in Vietnam) over the thousands of voices of those vets who were in Vietnam for a year or longer fighting with honor.

America should not turn their back on them again. All they are asking for is a voice.

As for the truth in the book. I think it is reasonable to conclude that the fog of war could give varying explanations or beliefs. But, you can decide for yourself what sounds more feasible once armed with the facts in the book. Keep in mind that the military records on the surface might only agree with Kerry's account....because Kerry wrote most of those reports himself.

Kerry has already admitted he was not in Cambodia in Christmas, the injury for his first purple heart may have been the result of an accidental self inflicted wound (no enemy fire), he did attend that meeting where the VVAW discussed assasinating Senators, etc.

The fact that Kerry has already admitted he was wrong about 5 or 6 of the charges made in the book (with little media reporting) should raise anyone's interest to read more.

Last edited by Frogg on Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic will shortly be moved to UFC Forum

Thanks
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I just hate to say it, but opening the gates to the hate rhetoric is going to do nothing but help keep the book in the public eye and awareness.

It will most likely INCREASE sales, because people just can't help but buy a book, just to see what all the fuss is about.

And isn't that just as effective?

By all means, go and give 5-star reviews! The book DESERVES that. But don't let the wack-os drive the agenda.

Just like those Communists in NYC protesting. People leaning to Kerry (not the Kool-Aid drinkers, they are already decided) are going to look at them and say, "The Commies are supporting the guy *I* am thinking about voting for? What was I thinking!"
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Frogg
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
This topic will shortly be moved to UFC Forum

Thanks

A-OK! I just wanted everyone to be alerted to the antics of Amazon.com.
If I delete my personal review note....will you consider leaving my post on this topic category?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogg...it's really more appropriate to UFC, review or not. The Amazon story is a secondary issue.

Thanks
markasass
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: My 5-Star Amazon Review Reply with quote

Frogg, I know you advised keeping my Amazon review short, but I just couldn't help myself.

My Amazon Review (5 stars, of course):

First of all, it's so nice that Amazon has decided to allow ad hominem attacks, aka hate speech, in addition to real book reviews based on honest opinion. Because it's a presidential election year. Isn't that special. If "Unfit for Command" had been about GWB, I'm sure this same decision would have been made.

Yeah, right. Just like John Kerry was in Cambodia, and Nixon was president, during Christmas of 1968; just like John Kerry did not accidentally inflict wounds on himself, one time, with an M-79 grenade launcher and, another time, while blowing up a rice storage bin; and just like John Kerry did not originally flee the scene of the undeserved Bronze Star incident.

All I ask is that members of the Kerry Kool-Aid Kamp, aka the KKK, actually read the book before posting your 1 star, like the liberal blogosphere, the DNC, and the Soros/Lewis-sponsored 527s have been requesting you to do.

Now as to "Unfit for Command", I'm left with the following observation after actually reading the book. Members of the KKK have only three choices. # 1 - John Kerry has actually committed war crimes and atrocities, just as he has claimed in various interviews and testimony and/or # 2 - John Kerry has actually eyewitnessed, in a first-hand and primary-source manner, war crimes and atrocities, yet did not report them and/or # 3 - John Kerry did not actually witness war crimes and atrocities, but instead reported them in a 2nd- or 3rd-hand, secondary- or tertiary-source, hearsay manner.

In any event, John Kerry is a war criminal and/or derelict of duty and/or a slanderer and traitor. Take your pick. IMHO, after reading the book, he's all three.

Notice I didn't even touch on his opportunistic, prevaricating, or microcephalic attitudes and behaviors, which are also clearly demonstrated in "Unfit for Command". You can come to no other conclusion than Kerry is anything BUT a "war hero" when considering his fraudulent Purple Hearts, his made-for-TV, seared-...-yes, seared-into-his-memory "Christmas and Nixon in Cambodia", the many discrepancies to be found in The Congressional Record, "Tour of Duty", the few contemporaneous journal entries actually released, and his many "I'm a war hero" speeches, his three Silver Star citations, written over a period of years, sometimes signed by those that didn't even know they had done so, and including a bogus "V for Valor" on his Form DD-214 (on his own web site, no less), his inconsistent recollections, e.g., attending a VVAW meeting in Kansas City to discuss assassinating 6 US Senators, his "flying dog", his carrying an 8mm video camera and typewriter in his sea bag, his attempts at deferring to France, mais oui, but of course, etc., ad nauseum.

If one actually reads the book, one is left with no other conclusion than John Kerry is "unfit for command". If members of the KKK wish to dispute all this, just ask your "war hero" to sign Standard Form 180, to actually release the hundreds of pages still hidden, ask your "war hero" to release all the documentation used in writing "Tour of Duty", as the author, Douglas Brinkley, has stated it's fine with him, and, finally, ask your "war hero" to demand the release and republication of "The New Soldier" by John Kerry. The cover, with the flag being carried upside-down, is especially "nice".

John Kerry and his "Band of Brownshirts" are trying to use smear-and-fear tactics to silence his critics. They are trying to destroy the First Amendment free speech rights of an honest and honorable group of Vietnam veterans. They should be ashamed of themselves, but, then again, those without core principles and values also have no compunction. If they would only be able to comprehend that "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me, God" will set them free, they would be much happier and more productive members of society, IMHO.

Time will tell if they actually post it. If they don't, I will resubmit an abbreviated, 5-star, version, with maybe only the 3 choices the KKK has re: whether Kerry's a war criminal and/or derelict of duty and/or a slanderer and traitor.

"Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. To all the people you can. As long as you ever can." - Wesley

Last edited by markasass on Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:12 am; edited 2 times in total
cjg
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon is now doing reviews on the book. Average review three stars.
I was just there and read some of the reviews. There are some 5 stars,
some one.
Take a look Wink
Sonar5
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Amazon is Pathetic..... Reply with quote

Amazon is Pathetic in their Hypocrisy...

If they were not biased against SBVT, they would also allow such reviews for kerry's books or books about kerry......

Such as this one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1586482734/qid=1093821743/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/002-9994320-3300002?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Or This One:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0670032603/qid=1093821743/sr=8-3/ref=pd_ka_3/002-9994320-3300002?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Or this one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060565233/qid=1093821743/sr=8-4/ref=pd_ka_4/002-9994320-3300002?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Or This One:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684846144/qid=1093821743/sr=8-5/ref=pd_ka_5/002-9994320-3300002?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Come on folks....

If they are to allow attacks on SBVT, they should allow similar reviews on kerry's lies...errr...books...

But what Amazon should do is stick to their rules, and not append them to please the kerry minions who were no doubt complaining about the book.......

funny how other complaints didn't generate policy changes, but SBVT somehow does....

A quick search of mm's books on amazon also disclosed no such policy when attacking the President of The United States of America.

Dude, where's my country
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0446532231/qid=1093822033/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-9994320-3300002?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Now, I wonder why that is, huh Amazon?????

Amazon says moore's book:
"Granted, Moore is angry and has harsh words for George W. Bush and his fellow conservatives concerning the reasoning behind going to war in Iraq,"

So in fairness for SBVT we should ask Amazon to either reinstate their previous policy regarding Unfit For Command or apply the policy equally instead of hypcritically as they have done in this case....

Contact Amazon Here, as I did through their Investor Relations email here:

ir@amazon.com

Or go to their contact Page here, and scramble to find an email address....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/handle-generic-form/?action=next-page&target=stores/help/self-service-email-form.html&display=suggestions&browse=900912&method=GET/002-9994320-3300002

There are some Phone Numbers at the bottom of this page:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/508088/002-9994320-3300002

Perhaps someone can post an amazon legal department email address...

My Home at AboutPolitics.net:
http://www.aboutpolitics.net/phpBB2/index.php

cminning
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: About reviews at Amazon.com Reply with quote

I've always struggled with these so-called book reviews. Yes there are those that i agree with, and there are those I do not.

It doesn't come as a surprise that moveon.org has sent out urgent appeals to Kerry sympathizers to flood sites such as Amazon.com (which was specifically mentioned in the moveon.org appeal) with negative reviews. Should those of us who think John Kerry unfit for command respond in like manner?

I maintain that anyone who buys a book solely on the basis of either positive or negative reviews on Amazon.com is a bonafide idiot. The only instance where I pay attention to such reviews are those that pertain to my field in engineering. Since these engineering books are expensive, I will think twice if I feel that the reviewer's comments are relevant.

I urge those of you motivated to flood Amazon.com with positive reviews consider the following situation that happened to me. I am a engineer by profession and a historian by personal desire. I've been reading a lot about the Middle East, particularly Middle East history and the subject of tolerance under Islam. I am a great admirer of Bernard Lewis, one of the few writers about things Middle East that make sense and is not emotional about the subject. I encountered a very negative review of one of Lewis's books (which I have in my personal library, via Amazon.com) despite the negative review. However, that negative review offered alternate sources of information written by Bat Y'eor about "tolerance" under Islam. I now have virtually all of Bat Yeor's books in my personal library, because she makes a very convincing case that is contrary to Lewis's. I respect both authors.

Be aware that positive/negative reviews without substance, even on Amazon.com, will probably be ignored. If you have the urge to send a review, as I do, do so to add to the knowlege of the subject. My review will be very positive, but also critical on a couple of issues.

Standby!

Chuck Minning
Lt. Colonel, USAFR (ret)
Tilly
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've written to Amazon dot com, asking them to at least delete the posts that start something like "I haven't read the book ... BUT ..." etc.
KorVetBob
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: I had to add my 2 cents to the Amazon debate Reply with quote

Following is my review as reported to Amazon.com

"I couldn't put it down except to occasionally blow off steam over some of the facts brought out re: kerry's conduct. It makes a compelling case as to legitimate reasons not to elect kerry as CIC. Others might think that there is too much eyewitness evidence to be true - it is so overwhelming. If you were to juxtapose this shocker to kerry's "The New Soldier" (of which I have a copy) you would then know why kerry's book was pulled out of the market.(no-one can resell it under penalty of a lawsuit). If this book doesn't change your opinion of kerry then nothing could, and you should continue your 'blinders-on' plodding around the well - hauling water for the DNC. At the very least you should come away with the intense desire to demand that kerry sign the record release Form 180 to, either defend his stated positions, or, condemn them. A provacative read."
MassInd
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think this guy read the book? Typical. Amazon sinks even lower in my opinion.

Quote:
105 of 145 people found the following review helpful:

The Mission Of George W. Bush, August 30, 2004
Reviewer: George W. Bush "I approve of this message" (no clue) - See all my reviews

(Deleted by Admin)

Admin note:

Please don't reproduce Kerry talking points in this forum. A link to their junk will do nicely.

Thanks

DaveLoneRanger
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Rats Reply with quote

Well, I thought I was one of the first people to find out about that, but I suppose not. By the way, Brit Hume reported on this on The Grapevine segment. Silly me, I thought it possible that, since I reported this little invitation of hate reviews on Amazon.com to Drudge, he might have passed in on to Brit. Since so many more are aware now than I thought, I guess 'tis not so.

I'm an Amazon.com reviewer already, and I actually have enough reviews and helpful votes that, if I get a lot more, will probably boost me into the top 1000 reviewer ranking. Which adds credulity to a review. You can find my reviews by searching "toys" for "Faramir", and then clicking on "See All My Reviews". I'm the guy named "Dave". My current rank is 1024, and although I review a good deal of Lord of the Rings related stuff, I have also reviewed Bush At War, Newsmax magazine, The Limbaugh Letter, Ann Coulter's "Slander", etc. (Just so you don't think I'm on this board just to try and solicit votes! I'm not!)

I haven't reviewed Unfit for Command (YET!) because I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET A COPY. Local booksellers are mysteriously out of stock. But actually, I think this is the result of an unexpected demand. They have enough of Slick Willy's books, however. Ugh. So once I get hold of this book (I pestered them at the bookstore), I'll devour it and review it. If you guys want to give me the boost I need to be a top 1000 reviewer, I'll come back and post the link to my review. Also, I'll find all of your reviews and vote them helpful.

Side note: While browsing Wal-Mart's book section for Unfit for Command, I found the lady that stocks the books there, and asked about it. She hadn't heard about it, but said she'd look into it. I proceeded to learn she was a precious undecided...and in all likelihood, persuaded her to vote! (For Bush, of course) I also enjoy taking all the Reagan books and placing them in front of all the Slick Willy books. Twisted Evil
DaveLoneRanger
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: P.S. Reply with quote

P.S. To the people that do have reviews on Amazon.com, if you would provide the exact page (there's somewhere above 1,500 reviews up) you'll get at least one vote. Remember, as new reviews are added, your review is bumped down, but if you want a helpful vote, I can't look through all hundred pages or so.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some one just told me about this. So is it safe to assume that Jeff Bezos is a Democrat supporting John Kerry?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: