SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

deleted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
ASPB:

Of course it's speculation,
Quote:
If I was going to use a fishing weir

Would they leave one side unmined? What if all the boats had been on Kerry's side of the river in column? Or would the VC have known that SOP was to travel in 2 parallel columns during canal operations? If so, disregard my post, I wasn't there. If it was not SOP to travel in parallel, give it some thought. Fair enough?

They'd mine one side because they only had 5 kilos of C-4 (2.5 Kilos wouldn't do the job on a Swift. You're seeing the war from an American unlimited supply perspective which didn't exist for the local insurgents in IV corps.

It's stupid for me to say in some ways but please trust me on this one. I spent a year doing it and know of what I speak. C-4 for underwater mines was like gold to the local insurgents.

For God's sake, that's why we were there, to keep them from bringing it and other arms from Cambodia. The Swifts in An Thoi were there to stop the flow of armament by sea or by river from getting to the locals. Kinda like what we should be doing more of on the borders of Iraq with Syria and Iran!
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were there, I'll trust you on this. Sorry if I was confusing the issue. I thought I was on to something with the "multiple mine" reports. Press on and thanks. Out.
Curmudgeon
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I had no idea how much time I was wasting last night digging through 120 pages of the Congressional Record to find the above mentioned eulogy after seeing it on Brit Hume’s show, and here was the link posted a week ago. If the Senators had to read all that verbiage they put in it, they wouldn’t have so much time to get into all the mischief they do.

Chief,

I was referred to this thread after noticing a place in the damage report on PCF 94 where a date had been altered, and I asked if anyone knew definitively what the acronym “ETR” means. Could you peak at my post at:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=45996#45996

What does “ETR” mean, and what might the significance of the altered date mean?

Great analysis, and letter, which I must assume you sent to Brit Hume as suggested above and that I have you to thank for all the work I got sucked into and posted at:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5926

Regards,

Dave

-
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing Wiper wrote:
You were there, I'll trust you on this. Sorry if I was confusing the issue. I thought I was on to something with the "multiple mine" reports. Press on and thanks. Out.

Your help is always appreciated. I just was attempting to keep us all on message. Your help is truly appreciated. Keep on goin' on Bro!
Becky
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: LETTER TO MR DOBBS Reply with quote

NavyChief wrote:

The graphics of 7, 8, and 9 do not due justice to the facts as well. Kerry states in his report that "At VQ 995770 (fishing weir located on their maps) mine detonated under PCF 3 lifting boat about 2-3 feet out of water. Very heavy black smoke observed at same time boats received heavy automatic weapons and small arms from both banks. Fire continued for about 5000 meters. Two other mine explosions observed. All boats and MSF returned fire and attempted assist PCF 3. PCF 94 picked up MSF advisor who went overboard. 94 towed PCF 3 as bucket brigade controlled flooding. PCF 43 took all WIA to USCGC Spencer for treatment. PCF 94 and 51 assisted PCF 3".

[/b]

Have the spot reports for the other boats during this incident been made
available by anyone on those other boats? If so, what do they report
happened?

Excellent write up...
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: LETTER TO MR DOBBS Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NavyChief on Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
68RSVN
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: LETTER TO MR DOBBS Reply with quote

[quote="Becky"]
NavyChief wrote:

The graphics of 7, 8, and 9 do not due justice to the facts as well. Kerry states in his report that "At VQ 995770 (fishing weir located on their maps) mine detonated under PCF 3 lifting boat about 2-3 feet out of water. Very heavy black smoke observed at same time boats received heavy automatic weapons and small arms from both banks. Fire continued for about 5000 meters. Two other mine explosions observed. All boats and MSF returned fire and attempted assist PCF 3. PCF 94 picked up MSF advisor who went overboard. 94 towed PCF 3 as bucket brigade controlled flooding. PCF 43 took all WIA to USCGC Spencer for treatment. PCF 94 and 51 assisted PCF 3".

Who was in command of PCF 94 when it towed PCF 3? According to Unfit For Command, Kerry left the scene on PCF 43.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: LETTER TO MR DOBBS Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NavyChief on Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molon Labe
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curmudgeon wrote:
What does “ETR” mean

I think it's "Estimated Time of Repair". Just a guess.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one more observation to make:
If Kerry's 94 boat supposedly (it is pretty much agreed that it did) towed the damaged 3 boat following the action, and the 94 boat damage report states "aft steering gear in-op", that implys that it was controlled from the wheelhouse while backing to connect for towing, and for the trip back to the repair ship and docking, right? Does that sound a little funny to anybody else? It would be my LAST choice for a rescue/tow vehicle among the boats present. Maybe I'm missing something, and the aft control position wasn't really a better location to perform these operations from - OR - maybe the aft steering gear wasn't damaged, per the damage report filed.
Does this make any sense?
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: