SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Crissy" Mathews is "unfit to host"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyLow
Seaman Apprentice

Location: Texas...where many of us are NOT rich Republicans...but many of us are CONSERVATIVES!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: "Crissy" Mathews is "unfit to host" Reply with quote

http://www.aim.org/media_monitor_print/1914_0_2_0/

At the end of a long discussion of John Kerry's Vietnam war record, during which Chris Matthews of MSNBC tried to make the controversy out to be a Republican plot, Matthews finally said something that was indisputably true. Matthews said that Kerry has "done more than I ever did for my country…" That's because Matthews avoided the Vietnam War by enlisting in the Peace Corps and getting a draft deferment.

The comment came during an August 12 show when Matthews tried to discredit Vietnam War and swift boat vet John O'Neill, co-author of Unfit for Command, about Kerry. "You're a Republican from Texas," Matthews said, as if O'Neill had been unmasked as a subversive or an alien from outer space. If it had been true, it wouldn't have been a big deal. After all, Matthews himself is a long-time Democrat who wrote speeches for Jimmy Carter and was chief of staff to Democratic House Speaker Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill, who tried to sabotage President Reagan's pro-freedom policy in Central America during the 1980s.

But it just wasn't true that John O'Neill was a Republican. "I would like to answer," he pleaded with Matthews, "if you'll give me a chance." First of all, he said, "I'm not a Republican from Texas.That's just not true." Matthews pressed him on it anyway, and the exchange went like this:

Matthews: By the way, disabuse the public who are watching right now what I'm wrong about. Where do you live?

O'Neill: I live in Houston, Texas.

Matthews: OK, you're a Texan. Have you voted Democrat recently for president?

O'Neill: Absolutely. I haven't voted for a Republican since 1988. As a matter of fact, I just backed the Democratic mayor of Houston, Bill White.

Matthews: OK, so you've voted—you're generally a Republican or a Democrat when it comes to voting for president?

O'Neill: It depends on the person, Chris.

Matthews: Did you vote for Clinton?

O'Neill: No, actually.

Matthews: Did you vote for Gore?

O'Neill: I voted for Perot twice.

Matthews: OK. Did you vote for Gore?

O'Neill: I voted for Gore. I voted for Gore. I don't know really why I should go into my voting record.

We don't understand either, except that it was part of Matthews' attempt to shift the attention away from John Kerry. This kind of partisan approach is why Matthews continues to flounder in the ratings. Columnist Lew Williams of the Juneau Empire newspaper points out that "poor Chris Matthews" is getting a .4 rating, compared to 1.1 for Larry King of CNN, Hannity & Colmes at 1.6 at Fox, and Bill O'Reilly on Fox at 2.0.

Howard Fineman of Newsweek, who had appeared regularly on the Matthews MSNBC Hardball show, complained publicly about going on the show and getting little time to talk. He says the problem is that Matthews talks too much. Yes, and what he says can be absolutely wrong, as we saw in the John O'Neill case.

Lloyd Grove of the New York Daily News reported that Fineman's comments angered MSNBC president Rick Kaplan, Hardball executive producer Tammy Haddad, and Matthews. Fineman then offered an apology for telling the truth, hoping he wouldn't get blackballed from the program.
tigers tamed, bars emptied, virgins converted, orgies organized.
peter
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissy is really just a "hack", at the end of that broadcast he "clamined it was all a republican dirty trick".

What is even MORE troubling is that Joe Scarboro seems have been "muzzled" and now at MSNBC there really is never any "counter balance" to ever increaing out of control Chrissy.

He as no class, no objectivity and he ego has really gotten him in trouble.

MSNBC should look at the ratings of FOX and conclude the audience for cable news just doesn't want a hack like Chrissy being presented as "impartial" ...

He is a joke and MSNBC is a joke.
debinNC
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the transcript of an April Hardball episode where Matthews interviews John Kerry (scroll down to find it). It is absolutely fascinating now. The deference Matthews shows Kerry, the softball questions, the time Kerry is given to answer stands in stark constrast to the way he treated John O'Neill, Michele Malkin, and his failed attempt on Zell Miller. Before Miller, Matthews was having increasing difficulty booking Republicans for his show. That, coupled with Zell's newsmaking pummeling of him, seems to have resulted in a meeker Matthews.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4853531 (If this link doesn't work, would someone more computer literate than I please repost it?)
fighterforce55
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: "Crissy" Mathews is "unfit to host" Reply with quote

FlyLow wrote:
http://www.aim.org/media_monitor_print/1914_0_2_0/

At the end of a long discussion of John Kerry's Vietnam war record, during which Chris Matthews of MSNBC tried to make the controversy out to be a Republican plot, Matthews finally said something that was indisputably true. Matthews said that Kerry has "done more than I ever did for my country…" That's because Matthews avoided the Vietnam War by enlisting in the Peace Corps and getting a draft deferment.

Did you ever notice that Matthews looks like that blond kid in the beret that used to be on cans of Play-Doh? With is blathering about "Republican plots" in relation to the truth about Kerry being exposed by the SwiftVets, Matthews shows the world he has the intelligence of Play-Doh.

The Play-Doh Pundit should just quit the news business, be in a duel with Zell Miller and get it over with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: