SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Local Mass. Swiftee Gibson on Kerrys Boat Feb28, 69??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Local Mass. Swiftee Gibson on Kerrys Boat Feb28, 69?? Reply with quote

Our local Sunday paper, the September 5, 2004 edition of the grossly misnamed Springfield (MA) Sunday Republican, published an article written by one Charles Gibson of Longmeadow, Mass., who is described as having "served on a Swift Boat in Vietnam with Sen. John F. Kerry......" He was assigned as the assistant officer in charge of Kerry's PCF-94. After his stint with Kerry, he took over PCF-66 until late April, '69, at which time he was assigned to PCF-72 until July of that year. I presume someone here must know him.

Unfortunately, the paper does not seem to publish the article on their webpage. It was in the "Emphasis" (opinion) section of the paper, p.C6, should anyone want to get it. If needed, I will scan it and see if I can get it to the SBVT. If there is anything else I can do, don't hesitate to ask.

To sum up, Gibson wrote a long detailed account of his presence on PCF 94 from Feb. 24, 1969 to March 2, 1969. He describes the Feb 28 "Silver Star" episode. He says he only saw Kerry leave the pilothouse and jump ashore, but he did not actually witness Kerry shooting the VC with the B-40 RPG, having stayed on the boat and was firing rounds in a different direction. He says that later, he went ashore and saw the "man" that Kerry shot (the first combat fatality he had seen) and said
Quote:
"Contrary to some accounts, this was not a child. He appeared to be 18 or 20, a contemporary of our younger crewmembers. He had not been shot in the back as some have stated. Rather, he had an entry wound at the side of his chest and exit wound at the opposite side of the chest cavity, a wound that was consistent with reports of the man turning to fire a second B-40 rocket. I did not see any obvious evidence of a leg wound, but was not really looking closely for one."

He describes another event involving two sampans and some VC.

His assesment of Kerry is as follows:

Quote:
"I was impressed at how well Lt. (jg)'s Kerry, Rood and Droz worked together during that one-week period, which has since been dubbed "hell week." My personal opinion of Kerry, acting in his role as Officer in Tactical Command during the one week period that I was temporarily assigned to his boat, is that he was aggressive, decisive, and effective in carrying out his responsibilities, and showed strong leadership and courage in the process. He did not receive the Silver Star for chasing down a kid and shooting him in the back. He received it for directing a highly successful operation in the face of enemy fire and taking out a combatant who was capable of firing a second B-40 RPG."

He basically sums up the article by saying that he is disturbed that
Quote:
"those who have ben through so much together, find themselves so deeply divided. There are men on both sides of the controversy whom I respect and admire, who served honorably, courageously, and with distinction. It was truly an extraordinary privilege to have served wth them - all of them."

Well, not having been there, I cannot answer for the SBVT, so you all might want to delve into this yourselves. I thought you might be interested in his take on the Silver Star story. It didn't seem like he actually saw too much, and, it being his first combat mission, may not have been in a position to observe Kerry too closely, as he more or less admits. His assessment of the VC that shot the RPG, his first combat casualty, may not be the same as someone who had been there for more than four days (Feb. 24 to Feb. 28, 1969).

He made no mention of any of the PH issues, the mystery "V" on the Silver Star, or any of the other controversies surrounding Kerry's experiences in Vietnam, real or made up, i.e. the mythical "secret" mission to Cambodia. He said nothing about Kerry's post war VVAW activities either. There was no mention of the SBVT or the book "Unfit for Command," or whether he had read it. One might ask him.

I fail to see how he could make too great an assessment of Kerry's character after only one week, but that is his story. It seems fairly weak as a character booster for Kerry, but of course, this liberal rag titles Gibson's letter as "Eyewitness to Kerry in Vietnam. Senator 'agressive, decisive, effective,'" playing up the only really positive things that Gibson had to say in his brief period with Kerry. The font for the word "eyewitness" was literally (I checked) the biggest font size in the paper, bigger than the leading front page headlines!! I am sure it is no mystery who this paper plans to endorse!! The cutsie illustration of Kerry, a Swift boat and a Silver Star medal has the heading "Swift Response to Criticisms."
vet_supporter
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that swiftboats had two officers. Question
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"He received it for directing a highly successful operation in the face of enemy fire and taking out a combatant who was capable of firing a second B-40 RPG."

Firing a SECOND RPG??? From all accounts I've heard, there was never a first RPG actually fired, rather the threat of the first one fired. Am I wrong on this account?
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you guys haven't figure this out yet, nobody spent their entire tour with someone else. Each person has a piece of the overall puzzle. This man knows about one week of Kerry's tour. Another man knows about another week.

It wasn't until they all got together and compared notes after reading Tour of Duty that the full picture of Kerry's lies became clear. That is why nothing happened until this year. This has nothing to do with the election per se. It has to do with when the Swiftees discovered the truth about Kerry and the realization that he actually had a chance to become CinC.
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ord33 wrote:
"He received it for directing a highly successful operation in the face of enemy fire and taking out a combatant who was capable of firing a second B-40 RPG."

Firing a SECOND RPG??? From all accounts I've heard, there was never a first RPG actually fired, rather the threat of the first one fired. Am I wrong on this account?

Kerry says that there was one fired, Rood said none were fired. But Rood said that there were two VC with rocket lauchers and Kerry only mentions one. So in Kerry's account we do not know what happened to the VC who had to have fired the first rocket.
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was Gibson on 94?
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimsdale says from the article Gibson was on PCF-94 from Feb. 24, 1969 to March 2, 1969. Did he get a bronze star on Feb. 28th like the rest of Kerry's crew? If so, why was he not in the picture with the rest of the crew. If not, I become more and more skeptical. During this time, wasnt another gentleman on 94 under training, a Mr. Givens?
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving this on over to the Research Forum. Perhaps one of our Members over there can answer the question of who the man is. I would have imagined that JFnK would have wanted to get ahold of a Local Vet who served with him for his Band of Brothers.
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference thread:

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=30333#30333

Quote:
CHICAGO, Aug. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- "There were three Swift Boats on the
river that day in Vietnam more than 35 years ago -- three officers and 15 crew
members. Only two of those officers remain to talk about what happened on
February 28, 1969.
"One is John Kerry, the Democratic presidential candidate who won a Silver
Star for what happened on that date. I am the other."

Okay, so who is lying? Gibson or Rood?
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
rorschach
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in...EYEWITNESS SUBSTANTIATES KERRY'S CLAIM TO HAVE BEEN IN VIETNAM.

Well, I'm glad we cleared THAT up.
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh what a bunch of bacon grease! Where is Gibson in the Medal picture for Feb. 28? Why does this sound so much like what Rood was blowing right after Kerry called Rood on the phone?

See a Feb 28 analysis here: Kerry's Silver Star Analysis

From the Globe:

Charles Gibson, who served on Kerry's boat that day because he was on a one-week indoctrination course, said Kerry's action was dangerous but necessary. "Every day you wake up and say, `How the hell did we get out of that alive?"' Gibson said. "Kerry was a good leader. He knew what he was doing."

Wonder why all the sudden he is so talkative?
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to note that Doug Reese did not observe any wounds other then the leg wound and he was there in less than 10 mins after the shooting. So now we have a description of a entry and exit wound from the guys side as evidence he was turning to fire? Or was he just crawling hurt or dragging his leg which would had provided a sideways shot? No one see's nothing with the guy within 60 feet of the boat? Why even bother getting off the boat! From Kerry's movie it looks like anyone would had a clear shot of anyone in front of them.
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Multiple Accounts Reply with quote

There are now so many different accounts eminating from Kerry and his supporters of what happened on the 28th of February I'm hoping a computer geek will make a spread sheet. Here are some of the sources:

1. Three different citations for the Silver Star.

2. John Kerry's macho version told to Gerald Nicosia in Home to War: "I wanted to see some of the enemy and fight 'em. So we did, and we beat the hell out of 'em." [page. 71.]

3. Brinkleys version, Tour of Duty, constructed from interviews with Kerry and entries in Michael Medeiros' personal journal. In this version Bill Rood's boat stayed down river at the site of the original beaching. Further only three sailors went ashore where the VC with the rocket launcher was killed: Kerry, Medeiros and Belodeau. Finally the VC according to this version popped out of a "spider hole."

4. Fred Short's version given in an interview with the Boston Globe. Short is the origin for identifying the VC as a teenager in a loin cloth. He said this kid did not pop out of a "spider hole" but stepped out of the bushes.

5. Bill Rood's version which is directly contradicted by Brinkley, [pp. 290, 292.]

6. Gibson's version which is also contradicted by Brinkley as only three sailors from PCF-94 went ashore, [p. 292.]

My favorite line on the whole incident was written by Brinkley in summation: "Camouflaged contraband materiel lay everywhere and they (Kerry, Medeiros and Belodeau) confisticated everything from VC flags to American-made 20-mm shell casings and sewing machines of potentially nefarious intent."
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sounding more and more like one of those bus wrecks in which more people claim to have been injured than were on the bus at the time. If the PCF94 had two officers, why hasn't someone mentioned it until now. I don't recall the link right now, but I've also seen a statement by Kerry that only his crew was on the boat even though Doug Reese says Ruff Puffs were on there.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not forget another individual (who is not to be spoken of on this website) made references to being aboard PCF-94 as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: