SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Bias from one who should know better
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, wait a minute folks!

Did you guys actually READ all of Dorf's column? It's about the state of the law regarding 527's, not about the Swifties. Findlaw is also not a journalist site, exactly, but a site for lawyers with opinion columns and a message board for debate. Dorf is a professor of LAW, not journalism. Attorneys don't exist to be objective, they exist to argue a point of view.

I, myself, got worked up over a John Dean column against the Swifties on Findlaw a few weeks ago, but that article was a direct attack on the facts and the Swifties. This column just isn't one of those.

I appreciate the passion here...but this time I think we're barking up the wrong tree. If you want to debate Dorf, go sign up for FindLaw's message board.

Just my humble opinion.
3rd gen Navy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Army Wife,
with all due respect, you are correct as to the overall tone of Dorf's article. In and of itself, that message is not bad.

However, when that message is used as a vehicle to slander the SBVFT and propagate subjective allegations and falsehoods regarding their anti-Kerry statements THEN, IT IS UNACCEPTABLE!

The more these inaccuracies regarding the SBVFT are repeated the more people will accept them as true.

Again, I encourage all with the time and inclination to send a polite and objective e-mail to both Dorf and the Dean of Columbia Law.
Respectfully,
BS Biology, Business Administration, Nursing
The Deal with Life: Make decisions based on what you might gain, not on what you may lose.
!!!!!! LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: More Bias... Reply with quote

Dorf wrote:
...His position would eliminate ads by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which is a 527, but would also shut down wholly truthful ads...

I interpreted that as an accusation that Swiftee ads are lies. If he wanted to chastise Bush for proposing elimination of all 527s, he easily could have done it without painting as liars with a broad brush, a small, underfunded group.
ArmyWife wrote:
...Did you guys actually READ all of Dorf's column? It's about the state of the law regarding 527's...

ArmyWife, I appreciate your position and understand FindLaw's purpose, but take exception to Dorf's use of that "bully pulpit" to smear a group that he obviously knows little about. It's kinda' like Martin Sheen capitalizing on his acting popularity to influence our political thoughts. FindLaw should censure Dorf and indeed, itself for letting such flagrant one-sided opinion sneak into what should be a truthful and intellectual discussion of the law.

Finally, I did not mention the Swiftees to him. He, mentioned it to me -- IN HIS HEADLINE TITLE! That's kinda' like Kerry saluting, reporting for duty and then whining when many take exception to his sophomoric behavior.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want to get really worked up, here's the column by John Dean that I alluded to earlier.

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dean/20040831.html

I, and others in the forum, chose to answer it on FindLaw's message board.

Here is Dorf's real conclusion to his article, just in case any casual readers of this thread are confused:

"So what action should be taken by Kerry supporters upset by the falsehoods presented by Swiftboat Veterans for Truth, or by Bush supporters distressed by the conspiracy theories fostered by Fahrenheit 9/11? Don't run to the FEC or the courts. Instead, rally your own 527s. As both of these candidates like to say, bring it on."

There is an attempt, albeit weak, to show a tiny bit of balance.

I appreciate your points about going after every incidence of people calling the SBVfT liars to try to stop the propagation. I can't argue with that at all. My thoughts on it are just more pragmatic right now...that you probably can't get them all.

As I mentioned before, the job of a lawyer is to argue a point of view, and it just seems to me that when you email Dorf's boss about an opinion column, he might get congratulated...the opposite of what you hope for.

So many Bush-haters are driven only by emotion, anyway, so it's almost a waste of time to even talk about the facts to them if it's more than a paragraph or two. They're not going to read farther. I couldn't get any real intellectual answers back to my posts about the Dean column...only emotional response.

Enumerating the facts for Dorf might not do any more than a one sentence respose could. Maybe something like, "I'm offended at your unfair and unsubstantiated swipes against the Swift Boat Vets for Truth, and it detracted from the points that I think you were trying to make about 527's."

Hey, like I said, it's just my humble opinion. I'm tired tonight...maybe I'll see this differently in the morning.
ThaLeena
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: I agree, but here's a short one Reply with quote

First of all, I fully agree with the above post. I think they will more than likely dismiss most emails about this subject. I thought the same thing about the CBS Rathergate e-mailings, but I have been pleasently surprised by the responses I've gotten back from the businesses I emailed. So what the heck, what's one more email. I did a little editing and sent this to both Schizer and to Dorf with title line "Here is what I sent to your boss"
Mr. David Schizer,
One would expect to find a truthful and well-rationalized article when searching Find Law's Legal Commentary. Instead, searchers are confronted with yet another obviously biased and slanting anti-Bush article such as that written by Michael Dorf on September 1, 2004.
In light of the situation that has occurred at CBS, and the severe repercussions that establishment is suffering because of a blatant bias, one has to wonder how Dorf's lack of objectivity will no doubt negatively reflect upon both Columbia AND the school of Law in particular. Furthermore, as an employee of Columbia University, Dorf should formulate his comments to avoid placing his department and institution in a bad light. The public will no longer sit back and allow such a transparent bias to go unchallenged.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: More Bias... Reply with quote

ArmyWife wrote:
...There is an attempt, albeit weak, to show a tiny bit of balance....

I like your sticktoitiveness but I'm not buyin' it. IMO, he's just another effete leftist using what normally is a fine medium to foist his personal political views on the reader.
John Dean wrote:
...To assert that these stories are biased, one-sided, distorted, and incomplete would be overly kind....

Although Dean is much more difficult to refute than Dorf, presumably because he is smarter and has done his homework, he's still a member of the club. I like him personally much better than Dorf but he chose to heckle the little group and choked on the $100 million or so spent by Kerry's gang to dishonestly smear anyone against Kerry. To his credit, I couldn't determine if he's now a Democrat or remains loyal to his old party (and I haven't kept up with him).

I'm tired too and a little cranky so I'll close with this tidbit. FindLaw describes him as "John W. Dean, a FindLaw columnist, is a former counsel to the President." They could've described him as "John W. Dean is a FindLaw columnist, former felon and convict, and counsel to the President who was forced to resign in disgrace to avoid impeachment." Just a little omissive bluster I guess but many right here in this forum probably didn't know Dean's background. Again to his credit, IMO, he was punished unfairly.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself, I respond to whoever happens to piss me off while I have 10 minutes to write an email. Nine times out of 10 if they piss me off while I'm too busy to respond I won't go back to it later because some new article has pissed me off by then and is using my 10 free minutes.

Dorf just happened to catch me inbetween. He's probably a smaller fish to fry than one of the 920342324 others I could have written to, but he caught that 10 minute window.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
3rd gen Navy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Army Wife,
once again, I agree with you. You can't get them all. This was only meant to be a "heads up" for those who had the time and inclination to reply. I never intended for it to become a debate as to who was the most biased, the most anti SBVT, or the most "deserving" of a response. As others have pointed out, there is a continuous barrage of Anti-SBVFT bias in every media outlet. We have no dearth of of oppportunity to respond with well reasoned objectivity.

As for John Dean, yes, I recognize the name from WaterGate. I have my own opinions about the effectiveness of Dean vs. Dorf in their anti SBVFT rhetoric, but this is not the appropriate place to discuss them. If you're anywhere near North Central Florida (after this hurricane gets done smacking us around....again) you may cash in one chit for a cold beverage of your choice on me, and we can talk about it at length.

Re: John Dean. I do agree with him on one important point:
Kerry should sue the SBVFT. The negative ramifications for Kerry are obvious. Quite frankly, I'm suprised Dean would offer such assinine counsel. It casts serious doubt upon both his judgement and his grasp of the situation. Kerry (just as Clinton before him) has much more to lose by making this open and public. Much better for him to batten the hatches and stand by. Kerry's silence speaks volumes. The righteous have nothing to hide. Gotta run, just lost power. Sorry for any spelling errors. Cheers!
The Deal with Life: Make decisions based on what you might gain, not on what you may lose.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd gen Navy wrote:
Dear Army Wife,
once again, I agree with you. You can't get them all. This was only meant to be a "heads up" for those who had the time and inclination to reply. I never intended for it to become a debate as to who was the most biased, the most anti SBVT, or the most "deserving" of a response. As others have pointed out, there is a continuous barrage of Anti-SBVFT bias in every media outlet. We have no dearth of of oppportunity to respond with well reasoned objectivity.

As for John Dean, yes, I recognize the name from WaterGate. I have my own opinions about the effectiveness of Dean vs. Dorf in their anti SBVFT rhetoric, but this is not the appropriate place to discuss them. If you're anywhere near North Central Florida (after this hurricane gets done smacking us around....again) you may cash in one chit for a cold beverage of your choice on me, and we can talk about it at length.

Re: John Dean. I do agree with him on one important point:
Kerry should sue the SBVFT. The negative ramifications for Kerry are obvious. Quite frankly, I'm suprised Dean would offer such assinine counsel. It casts serious doubt upon both his judgement and his grasp of the situation. Kerry (just as Clinton before him) has much more to lose by making this open and public. Much better for him to batten the hatches and stand by. Kerry's silence speaks volumes. The righteous have nothing to hide. Gotta run, just lost power. Sorry for any spelling errors. Cheers!

Thanks for the replies, folks!

Sometimes, when I'm tired, I should just keep my big mouth shut. If you feel like writing to somebody...go right ahead!

If you are the kind of busy person that only has time to write a few rebuttals, then please consider choosing major newspapers over private emails to columnists like Dorf. Use your passion for the issues efficiently...to reach as many people as possible...that's all I'll recommend.

As for John Dean, I absolutely despised his column, so Dorf's later column seemed mild to me by comparison.

You are right about agreeing with Dean on the lawsuit! It shows how little neo-liberal Dean must have read about the SBVfT before he wrote the article. O'Neill has dared Kerry, on TV, to sue him. The Swifties are prepared, and Kerry would be walking right into their trap. His records would get out as if he had signed the Form 180.

Hope you weathered the hurricane OK.

ArmyWife
3rd gen Navy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Army Wife,

it's a "Target Rich" Environment...I agree with you about choosing your battles according to your resources.

I also disagree with Senator Kerry on this point:

This is one "free-fire" zone that I hope each and every one of us continues to participate in to the best of their abilities.

It would be absolutely delightful to someday a footnote in the history/strategic business management books:

"The early 21st century shift in the Main Stream Media towards unbiased and objective coverage was a direct result of the world wide web and growing public outrage. After a continuous deluge of correspondence and boycots, schools of journalism were forced to adopt a rigorous core curriculum of coursework in ethics and scientific detachment. Except for fringe, niche markets, biased newsmedia was no longer tolerated by the American public...."
sleeplessinseattle
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd gen Navy wrote:

It would be absolutely delightful to someday a footnote in the history/strategic business management books:

"The early 21st century shift in the Main Stream Media towards unbiased and objective coverage was a direct result of the world wide web and growing public outrage. After a continuous deluge of correspondence and boycots, schools of journalism were forced to adopt a rigorous core curriculum of coursework in ethics and scientific detachment. Except for fringe, niche markets, biased newsmedia was no longer tolerated by the American public...."

Wow, wouldn't that be nice. I'm afraid that what we're going to have for the foreseeable future is partisan based media on both sides until some group/groups restake the middle ground (as you suggest). It's anyone's guess as to how long that may take but I think it's a long term battle (10 to 20 years or longer) before we see much "scientific detachment" and "objectivity" from the MSM. We all know that just lurking below the surface at all these liberal media cos. is outright, blatant bias toward one US policital party. For now, on TV, it's FOX, maybe MSNBC to some limited extent vs. the liberal organs CNN and all the old time letter networks - in newspapers the problem is even more pervasive toward the leftist organs...with only a precious few stalwart great conservative newspapers left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: