SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's get on OPRAH
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
producehawk
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would best if the wives of the pow's from stolen honor went on ophra. This would be more up her alley. Get the wives on to promote stolen honor, then sneek in a promo for the swift vets. If O was affected by their testimony, then she might have O'Niel on at a later date.
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noMOass wrote:
OPRAH has a strong faith in WHAT?

Have you done your research on Oprah?

Ok, calm down.... Oprah's not the enemy here, Kerry is. I don't know Oprah personally and I don't think she's come right out and said she is a Christian or a new ager.... not on any show I've seen, and I miss a lot of them... I have seen shows where she expresses her belief in God.

I think she is more on the liberal side - but she is very careful not to bring it into her show - I feel it is because she doesn't want to offend her audiences.... and that's fine - the way I think it should be

does anyone know if the 9/11 families (Debra's group) has been on Oprah? I think that would be a wonderful show for them to go on.
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 9/11, Oprah had several shows featuring and honoring the
victims and families of 9/11. She was profoundly affected by it,
just as were most Americans. I say again, if you want to reach
the women of America, whom all the polls say are no longer
dominated by "soccer moms" but by "security moms", go on
the Oprah show!

Last edited by srmorton on Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lance_Flatchew
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Oprah Reply with quote

I have had some problems with Oprah - particularly over her comments about beef. But in general she seems uplifting. Her book club, her championing women abused by butchering Muslim wackos, her support of clinics and orphanages in Africa are all things to admire.

I loved her thing about giving the cars. This was a great economics lesson for lots of people who don't understand about federal income taxes because they are withheld from their pay checks. Oprah/Pontiac had paid the sales tax. When they were hit with a $7,000 IRS bill on a $28,000 car they were in shock. No idea that the government could do such a thing.

Without with holding, the tax and spend crowd would be in deep...
arlene welker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Oprah Reply with quote

Don't hold your breath guys. Oprah is not going to risk alienating her fans by being partisan. She is too smart to get into the political scene with the millions she makes on us viewers. I personally like her show because she doesn't take sides and I can watch without getting high blood pressure. Even watching fox makes my blood boil when Devine and Meehan and all of Kerry's mouthpieces get up and tell lies. Please leave my Oprah out of this...my one safe haven. LOL
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness, could we all get an e-mail campaign going to get more than O'neil on a show?

I don't know what show, but maybe BOR or someone like that.

Here's my idea:

Get as many of the Swiftvets and their fellow vets on a show. Maybe one of the connected vets could get a studio or high school theater type setting.

The vets could do a townhall meeting style peice and the host of the show would only have to show up with his camera crew to film it. A whole hour show and I think some Viet vets from other services would be good too. They could talk about the opening of the wounds from what Kerry did in 1971.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Oprah is great, no matter what her political beliefs. Regardless of what some may think she is obviously a class act that finds a way to give give give all the while making millions. Genious and win win for everyone. I think she would consider having people on that tell their stories about what what happened to them after Vietnam - like this compelling post - (should be in main forum, no?)

http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10814

But beware - although her heart seems to be in the right place she is most likely a Liberal and may not capture the spin the way you'd like. Might end up editing out the Kerry refer. but may prelude into the stories about how Kerry running for Pres has brought this issue back up.
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Oprah Reply with quote

Lance_Flatchew wrote:
I have had some problems with Oprah - particularly over her comments about beef. But in general she seems uplifting. Her book club, her championing women abused by butchering Muslim wackos, her support of clinics and orphanages in Africa are all things to admire.

I loved her thing about giving the cars. This was a great economics lesson for lots of people who don't understand about federal income taxes because they are withheld from their pay checks. Oprah/Pontiac had paid the sales tax. When they were hit with a $7,000 IRS bill on a $28,000 car they were in shock. No idea that the government could do such a thing.

Without with holding, the tax and spend crowd would be in deep...

The beef thing was a spur of the moment comment, and was more of a slap against the USDA inspection system than against beef producers. At any rate, it's over. The cattlemen took their stand, and they've had good prices since.

As for the other posts...I'm thinking that I haven't met many African-American atheists. I've met lots of Christians and some Muslims. I'd bet that Oprah has the strong Christian church background, and liberal leanings. The best chance to get on her show is to concentrate on the emotional stuff...the effect on the POWs, the mistreatment of returning vets as a result of Kerry's lies, and the inability to trust Kerry. What wouldn't go over for her show format is much emphasis on the medal controversies, as those require more time and more intellectual argument.
swing votr
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting on Oprah would reach an extremely large audience of people who watch and follow religiously. Even if the only benefit was to get the word out about the web site, I think it would be beneficial. Dubya's appearance helped his chances, I think it would would help ours to if it is done right.

While I agree Oprah is a liberal, not all liberals like Kerry!!! Getting the word out on his lies might turn a few, and imagine if you could get UFC on her book of the month! (thats less likely i think)
arlene welker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Oprah Reply with quote

Watch today. She is going to have a whole bunch of liberals trying to get out the vote............let's keep our eyes open. She needs to know if we think she is being biased.

Arlene
arlene welker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Show on Voting Reply with quote

Oprah's show on voting is only half over and already I'm steaming. She has Cameron Diaz crying on stage saying how we are all alone in the world and everything is going to be taken away from us.......Oh Bull!

I am very disappointed in Oprah. This a veiled anti-Bush show and she has finally come out of the closet. Everyone is very careful about what they are saying but you can read between the lines.

I am so going to listen to P.Diddy....he stands for what I believe. His message is "vote or die". NOT!

So sorry to break this news..............Oprah is a biased liberal.

Arlene
Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Oprah definitely has liberal leanings, she has a strong faith
and sound moral principles. (from a previous post)

I have been trying not to say anything on this topic but I feel a great need to. My problem with Oprah is that on numerous occasions she has stated that there are many pathways to God. That is not Biblical. According to John 14:6-7 it says Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me...." After hearing her profess her type of religion I can not in all good consciousness watch her no matter what "good" things she does while at the same time she perverts Christianity. Pick a little, choose a little.
arlene welker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching Oprah today and she was doing a show on women around the world. Of course when she comes to Irag she has a women on claiming she has never felt as unsafe as she does now and is fear of being raped. Are you kidding me? Nit and Wit (Saddam's son's) would have already raped you by now! I can't beleive what I am hearing. Oprah...............you are definitely our of the closet!

Why do I keep falling for this garbage and tuning every day? I must be nuts to irrate myself. I shut her off as soon as she started "spinning"

Tomorrow she has Susan Sarandon on............should be interesting.

God, I wish this election was over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: