SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yellow Ribbons
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Yellow Ribbons Reply with quote

BigAl533 wrote:
Is it just me, or do those Yellow Ribbons that say," Support Our Troops" annoy others?

First, it was a song about a convicted criminal who asked his love to,"Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree" if he was forgiven for his crime, and could come home, I guess.

Then, people used them to try to get our embassy staff released because we had a "leader" in the White House who didn't have the guts to go get them.

What is it now? The yellow ribbons will make Osams turn himself in and beg forgivness? Our troops need to know that they are not criminals who will be forgiven when they come home. They also need to know that they are not hostages. They need a Commander-In-Chief that will lead them to victory. Not John Kerry.

The support they need is knowing that we are proud of them and what they are doing for their country. Take it from one who in that situation years ago, when people back home said, that war doesn't matter, we want you to come home. It makes you think. If I'm here for them, but they don't want me here, what am I doing here?

Yellow ribbons? Why not crossed rifles, or a bald eagle holding arrows in BOTH talons? Only cowards are yellow, and isn't this the "Land Of The Brave?"

Are these people with the yellow ribbons the ones who say, " I support our troops but not the war in Iraq?"

BigAl, Thank you. I've been muttering this under my breath since 1979. Anotohter thing. They yellow color is just damn inapporpriate.The assorted pink and lavender ribbons are appropriately chosen, those colors are associated with thier causes. but yellow for men going into harm's way? Rolling Eyes
Yellow ribbons shold only be displayed, if they're tied around Lyin' John Kerry's neck so tight he's turning blue.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
3rd gen Navy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uuuummm, I respect everyone's right to their own opinion, but FYI, as a 10 year-old during the hostage crisis, I knew what the yellow ribbon originally stood for....I despised both the yellow ribbon and Jimmy Carter and have every since...

I don't care what some people think the yellow ribbon has come to mean...in MY mind, it equates our servicemen with criminals...the VERY thing (among others) that this site was created to dispute...

lexicons change with time, and I am fully aware of what the yellow ribbon ribbon has come to mean...Until now, I have NEVER expressed my hatred for what I PERSONALLY feel to be an innaproriate and loathsome symbol...I would never want to take anything away from a service member to whom it meant something, or god bless them, the well intentioned people who innocently display them as a symbol of support...

but, to THIS service member, the yellow ribbon is a horrible, despicable reminder of an American humiliation, and I will NEVER equate an American fighting man (or woman) with a convicted criminal in any way, shape, or form...

Additionally, aside from the "yellow rose of texas", and other floral associations, yellow historically stands for cowardice...another thing I will never equate with a member of the world's greatest military!

apologies, if my black and white analysis offends anyone...I proudly served to defend your right to say damn near anything you want, but I'm free to respectfully express my disagreement.

Very Respectfully,
BS Biology, Business Administration, Nursing
The Deal with Life: Make decisions based on what you might gain, not on what you may lose.
!!!!!! LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, locking this for a while, before it gets out of hand.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: