SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Line: We just got a tip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, I do hope this really is a big story that causes problems for Kerry, but it looks a lot like what the intelligence agencies call "circular reporting". Kind of like that game you played as a kid, where someone says something at one end of a line of people, and it's repeated down the line. What comes out the other end has very little relevance to the original statement. Keep your hopes up, but don't be surprised if nothing much comes of it. I hope I'm being overly cautious.
1AD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: I got it!!! Reply with quote

TA Ray Za's pregnant!!! Kerry goosed her in the blind or he was blind and goosed her. Either way expect the news to break from her Ob-Gyn. If the baby does not look perfect Edwards will sue. Laughing
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: I got it!!! Reply with quote

1AD wrote:
TA Ray Za's pregnant!!! Kerry goosed her in the blind or he was blind and goosed her. Either way expect the news to break from her Ob-Gyn. If the baby does not look perfect Edwards will sue. Laughing

OMG - Can you imagine what the result would look like? Shocked

Ths is a project for someone who can work a graphics program! Razz
ThanksVets
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the KLA video, Iran terrorist connections, etc were all swept under the rug, what exectly would it have to be to concern this country? I'm feeling like the only thing that will phase these Koolad Drinkers would be if Kerry pulled off a mask and revealed tricky Dick!
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously, Thanksvets, I agree...

If it is something nit-picky about something Kerry said about Tora Bora (which is pretty damning stuff, he said it on Larry King in 2001, he basically backs up what the administration was doing there and now is flipping on it) it won't have legs.

At this point it seems anyone who is voting Kerry has already drunk the Kool-aid...

Only something ground-shaking (like the Bush DUI smear) will have any effect at all...

That is my opinion, I could be wrong.

Get everyone you know who will vote Bush out to the polls!

reconflyer
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of like Tacan... Everybody wants something like this s-o-o-o-o bad. It might be best to prepare ourselves for a let-down since we can't do anything about it anyway. I mean, what if this turns out to be another Sinclair-like hype? It's not the first time that a leaked big story was used to sell papers.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: I got it!!! Reply with quote

Tacan70UDN wrote:
1AD wrote:
TA Ray Za's pregnant!!!
<snipped>

OMG - Can you imagine what the result would look like? Shocked

Ths is a project for someone who can work a graphics program! Razz

Hey, I'm a digital designer and Paint Shop Pro aficionado.... not a shock-artist. Wink
ProudDaughterofVet
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope whatever it is, it is BIG enough for the MSM to battle Kerry with..It is not a matter of the Kool-Aid drinkers voting, the hard core 35% who would vote for UBL if they could..this is about the other 15% who want a change or disagree with the Iraq war..and the all important women vote..so hang in there, it does not have to be earth shattering to make a difference..a dent now would be great news..also, supressing that vote??? More great news...

I know you, as I, despise MSNBC, especially after the LO breakdown on Friday..however, they have a link to the frontpage of Scarborough, about battleground polls..look at it..Red states, are Red..blue states, are almost all red..Iowa, Wi, MICHIGAN tied..and now Hawaii tied..look my friends, this is NOT going to be close if our people vote..and if the Dems stay home, which this "news" could do for our side..

Can not wait for the Drudge Report tomorrow..I wanted a weekend off..guess
"Just when I thought I was OUT, (for the weekend!), the pull me back in!"

Wink

PD

www.timetotakeastand.blogspot.com
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Trolls Reply with quote

1AD wrote:
I trust that anyone who knows will not release it on this forum since we all know it is being trolled. We all know that is why... help help help!!!

Maybe it already happened. Just kidding, but I remember saying that this will be an incremental "October surprise".

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/24/politics/campaign/24points.html

Quote:
Secret Weapon for Bush?
By JOHN TIERNEY
Published: October 24, 2004

To Bush-bashers, it may be the most infuriating revelation yet from the military records of the two presidential candidates: the young George W. Bush probably had a higher I.Q. than did the young John Kerry.

That, at least, is the conclusion of Steve Sailer, a conservative columnist at the Web magazine Vdare.com and a veteran student of presidential I.Q.'s. During the last presidential campaign Mr. Sailer estimated from Mr. Bush's SAT score (1206) that his I.Q. was in the mid-120's, about 10 points lower than Al Gore's.

Mr. Kerry's SAT score is not known, but now Mr. Sailer has done a comparison of the intelligence tests in the candidates' military records. They are not formal I.Q. tests, but Mr. Sailer says they are similar enough to make reasonable extrapolations.

Mr. Bush's score on the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test at age 22 again suggests that his I.Q was the mid-120's, putting Mr. Bush in about the 95th percentile of the population, according to Mr. Sailer. Mr. Kerry's I.Q. was about 120, in the 91st percentile, according to Mr. Sailer's extrapolation of his score at age 22 on the Navy Officer Qualification Test.

Linda Gottfredson, an I.Q. expert at the University of Delaware, called it a creditable analysis said she was not surprised at the results or that so many people had assumed that Mr. Kerry was smarter. "People will often be misled into thinking someone is brighter if he says something complicated they can't understand," Professor Gottfredson said.

Many Americans still believe a report that began circulating on the Internet three years ago, and was quoted in "Doonesbury," that Mr. Bush's I.Q. was 91, the lowest of any modern American president. But that report from the non-existent Lovenstein Institute turned out to be a hoax.

You might expect Kerry campaign officials, who have worried that their candidate's intellectual image turns off voters, to quickly rush out a commercial trumpeting these new results, but for some reason they seem to be resisting the temptation.

Upon hearing of their candidate's score, Michael Meehan, a spokesman for the senator, said merely: "The true test is not where you start out in life, but what you do with those God-given talents. John Kerry's 40 years of public service puts him in the top percentile on that measure."
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UH! WELL! REALLY! <working up to full blown snit> I sneaked a look at my records in high school and I have an IQ of 127. I have been known to tangle my syntax, forgot someone's name, and act goofy.

ARE THE DEMOCRATS INSINUATING THAT I AM ALSO A MORON???

Twisted Evil

That would be looked upon with much displeasure by moi. These fleaflickers gotta stop insulting me. They are like tag team wrestlers. If this is how they treat me when they are courting my vote what would they be like after the honeymoon?

IQ, SHMYQUE. My husband has an IQ of 185. Seriously. It is like the first thing his mother told me. It was like, "Hello dear. Youseemniceenoughbut IamsureyouarenotgoodenoughformysonhehasanIQof185."

He is fluent in four languages, has a photographic memory, and he can't hook up a VCR. He is brilliant, but in real life? Fagghedabout it. In a domestic crisis everyone always wants in MY lifeboat. Need to speak Farsi? Want a document decoded? See my husband. Your sink backed up? You're in labor? Your car is broken down? Call me.

Bottom line: I don't care if Kerry has an IQ of 285. It doesn't make up for his deep and thorough character flaws.

But I encourage the publication of the fact of Bush's superior intelligence, even if it is *only* in the mid 120's. I also never believed Gore was that much smarter, unless *smarter* is the new Democrat spin for *way crazier*

Oh, and P damn S: John Kerry's use of what God given gifts? His ability to snag rich broads? What 40 years of public service? Living off rich broads and the public is not a public service; it is just a parasite looking for a host.

Last edited by Kimmymac on Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimmymac:

Now I wish I hadn't already given away the award for the best comment on the subject.

Sam
Kimmymac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle: You should know better than to conclude the voting until I have had my way with the board.
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimmy,

Funny, I've always scored high on IQ tests (not as high as your husband, for goodness' sake) but in the very top percentiles... At 185, your husband is an anomoly, only an infinitesimal percentage of the population approaches that sort of cognitive horsepower.

Still, as you identified in your post, high I.Q. can be a double-edged sword. Studies show that extremely high I.Q. can lead to a handicap in social function. The perceived erratic and eccentric behavior of very intelligent people is not just perceived, it is fact. Accepting convention and social norms for the very intelligent seems illogical, an example, why bathe as often as we do, or for that matter, why are clothes a requirement in our climate controlled world? Many of the brightest people on the planet struggle with normal social situations that most people would consider routine.

I think much (too much) emphasis is placed on I.Q. and not enough emphasis is placed on one's actual ability to function. This ability is facilitated by the subject's ability to adjust socially (to work or interact with people), and also by their attitudes and value set.

I'm a good example of a guy who could do much more with my brain, but I'm fairly content BBQing something and working on cars. My wife makes more money than I, and she outranks me, but I don't care. I actually think that is a good thing. Still, when my workmates start talking about Schroedinger's Cat, I can join in, but I usually just give them a wedgie (tm). Quantum mechanics to me represents the fascinating chain of events that occur when you pop a top on a can of Coor's Light. I'm just that kind of person.

Still, I think it is funny (telling) that when things go wrong, everyone wants on your lifeboat. That is a huge endorsement of your ability to cope, and you should be very proud. I suggest it is worth much more than what little foibles a super-high I.Q. offers a body. For the most part, an ability to cope, or even reason with a nimble and pure spirit outshines the ability to reason yourself into a fit. Occam's razor cuts true. It is natural.

reconflyer
see: http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu:16080/resources/socemoachieve/psychfactorsgifted.html
Kimmymac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reconflyer: My husband: graduated high school at 16, was summa from Penn, holds a PhD from Stanford. Like I said: brilliant. Has decent social skills, and a great sense of humor (saving grace in all of us, yes?) but I also find myself running "interference" for him from time to time. Some things about people he just does not *get* and that leaves me to explain him to them and them to him. People as bright as my husband are valued in a different way than the rest of us are; and they get used to being deferred to. He said to me one time when we were first dating. "How do you think it would be if you always knew you were the smartest one in any crowd of ten million people?" And I replied, "The same as it is for me to know I am the best looking one in any crowd of ten million people. Sheesh, Get over yourself, buddy. Have a beer. Lighten up."

So, as you can see, I took care of that noise.

Cool

The life boat thing: my son summed that up pretty well. He loves his dad a lot, and takes after him in so many ways, but he once said, "If we were ever stranded on a desert island, Dad would be busy plotting and graphing the wind, tides, and currents, and figuring out the statistical probablilities for our ability to make landfall 75 different ways. Meanwhile, Mom would have caught and cooked fish, stored enough in the baskets she made to keep us for 3 months, engineered and built a de-salinization plant, chopped down trees and built a luxury life raft, and would have us all on board and ready, waiting patiently for Dad to show up with his charts and graphs."

He missed the the part where I would then tell his dad (when he showed up a week late) how brilliant and wonderful he is, and how I could have never built the life raft without his love and support. But his sisters would have noticed.

And THAT! ladies and gentlemen, is the heart, soul, and essence of what being an ordinary, everyday, no real job, Navy wife is all about.
ord33
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reconflyer wrote:
seriously, Thanksvets, I agree...

If it is something nit-picky about something Kerry said about Tora Bora (which is pretty damning stuff, he said it on Larry King in 2001, he basically backs up what the administration was doing there and now is flipping on it) it won't have legs.

reconflyer

I hate to break up the truly hilarious exchange between everyone here, but I have to say that when I first read the "surprise", I thought the exact same thing as reconflyer about it being Tora Bora & UBL. That was my first reaction/intuition, then I got thinking of other scenarios that would fit powerline's criteria and wasnt able to come up with anything else, but then again I'm not in the loop! I consider this to be significant, but if people were going to vote for Kerry after his numerous other flip-flops, I doubt this will change their mind. Dont get me wrong, I hope this, something similar to this, or even better than this gets out there, but its going to take some media push to have an effect on the voters. My faith in the media to report Kerry's "shortcomings" is approaching zero.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: