SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wear your medals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys earned your metals, wear them with pride, wear them for your brothers that can't.
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the clothing sales section of "boondocks" AFB where I am stationed, and an older gentleman was at the counter collecting something he had ordered from the clerk, who was a young lady. As he tentatively stood there watching her dig through the cardboard box of special order stuff, her hand emerged holding a medal that both he and I zeroed in on as she plopped it on the glass counter.

The medal immediately caught my eye. It was a cross hung from purple ribbon with a white stripe. I knew immediately that it was a Navy Cross, the second highest medal for gallant combat action awarded by the Navy, the first being a Congressional Medal of Honor.

Uninvited, I asked the young lady, "Do you know we are standing in the midst of a hero?" She looked at me kind of funny. I said, "this gentleman has been awarded the Navy Cross." The Navy Cross is not awarded very often. When the Navy Cross is awarded, it is probably awarded most of the time posthumously, but I can't verify that claim.

I thrust out my hand to shake his, which he quickly accepted. I looked him in his eyes and said, "thank you", to which he replied, "aww, heck, it wasn't anything, really".

I knew then that I was in the midst of a true hero. I was inspired.

Our decorations are just bits of ribbon and metal, but they tell our story. They tell the story of honor, courage, commitment and persistence. They tell the story of our service.

By all means, dust off the bits of ribbon and brass.

Many people don't know that their next door neighbor, or that old man across the way, or that thirty something lady who is the librarian have a history of service to the country, and medals to prove it, be it the Big One, Korea, Viet Nam, the Cold War, Eagle Claw, El Dorado Canyon, Grenda, Just Cause, Desert Storm, Bosnia, The Hatian Vacation, Kosovo, and now the Global War on Terror and hundreds of actions not grouped under any particular campaign.

God Bless our heroes... from turning screwdrivers and cooking chow to hand to hand combat and everything in between that makes our military so great.

reconflyer
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless you, recon. That was beautiful. You made me cry. Nothing makes me cry. Okay, well maybe a few things. Parades. Old movies. Old vets accepting the ravages of time with dignity and grace. Spontaneous hugs from little kids. Puppies...OKAY! I am not as tough as I act! The truth hurts!

But still.

Sniffle. Now I'll get a headache. Crying always gives me a headache. Dang you, recon.
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea!!! I also think you guys should come up with a yard sign "Another Vietnam Vet Voting for Bush" It would give much more meaning to people driving by than my Bush/Cheney sign.

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving through a local biscuit place on Jimmy Carter Blvd in Atlanta for a biscuit for breakfast. A Swift Boat Vet with all his signs on his car was standing by his car obviously waiting for someone. At first as I was going through, I gave him the Thumbs Up signal to show him my support. However, by the look I received in return, I think he may have thought I had a different finger up. So when I drove through after getting my food, I rolled my window down and told him thank you for all his is doing. A few weeks earlier I had tried to give a Thumbs Up to a Swiftvet and also wondered if he thought I was giving him a jesture of contempt instead of one of appreciation. So if you are a Swiftvet who lives in Gwinnett County and a fortyish lady in a green Mountaineer has jestured you with a small dainty hand, it was a Thumbs Up of support!

I'd love a universal sign of support when we see one of our heros so they aren't mistaking Thumbs Up for California Howdy's. Anyone agree? Any ideas?
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nothing makes me cry. Okay, well maybe a few things. Parades. Old movies. Old vets accepting the ravages of time with dignity and grace. Spontaneous hugs from little kids. Puppies...OKAY! I am not as tough as I act! The truth hurts!

Kimmy,
The toughest people have the softest hearts.

Only a true and honor-bound heart feels to the quick. It eschews cynicism and rancor for what they are, taking the eyes off of the objective.

It's true.

reconflyer

Last edited by reconflyer on Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
ILUVTHEUSA
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys can make me cry (reconflyer) AND laugh (Roon) at the same time!! I'm still laughing about the "California Howdies"! Laughing Here in NY where I live, it's just called the middle finger salute.

Both were great postings!!! It feels great to be part (although a small part) of such a team!!!! Woohoo!! I think I may be building up to that other word you military people say (please correct me if I am wrong)--I think its hoo-rah!!

~ILuvTheUsa
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It feels great to be part (although a small part) of such a team!!!! Woohoo!! I think I may be building up to that other word you military people say (please correct me if I am wrong)--I think its hoo-rah!!

ILuv:
You are just as important as anyone else around here! This is a like-minded bunch. In Air Force parlance we would say it is a "total force" effort.

Thank you for your kind words, but much more important than that, thank you for thoughtfulness in your support of the Swifties! It is right, you can be assured of that.

reconflyer
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reconflyer:

Now I must wear my medals. I think I will wear my Navy baseball cap too. I assume coats and ties are optional.

I wanted to point out that I never served in Viet Nam, so my medals do not reflect the sacrifice that most of you have made. But, I shall wear them.

Sam
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

If you wear the Navy cap with the scrambled eggs on it, I'll salute you if I see you... Razz

P.S. Coat and tie: optional...

reconflyer
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the Navy's unit award site I can puzzle out NU for NUC, MU for MUC but what are AE and EM? Anyone?
GIaunt
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please wear them.... Consider it your homecoming parade.

And who knows, you might get to talk to someone and influence their vote....
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a cool idea. I have passed the idea on to my husband, and he will wear his. He is also mass emailing all the guys that he served with that supposrt Bush (like 99% of them) to ask them to do the same.

For those of us who are the wives, daughters or moms, maybe this could work, I posted it earlier on another thread having to do with voting:

I do not have any medals, but I will vote wearing a t shirt that has a large picture of my two kids that are now serving in Iraq, taken of them last summer. They are both in their uniforms, my son Army, my daughter Navy, with their arms slung around each other's shoulders and big, happy wecantakeontheworld smiles on their faces. A friend of mine took the picture and transferred onto t shirts for our family. Underneath it says "The faces of hope for the oppressed" And on the right front there is a yellow ribbon.

Pretty cool. You can't wear anything *political* to a polling site, but this isn't political.

I hope the line is long, then people behind me can spend an hour looking at my t shirt. Especially if there are move.on barking moonbats in line-- the slacking sleaze.
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the impact of veterans wearing their medals would be immeasurable. It would be a subliminal reminder of what is at stake in this election. I honestly think it would be the best way to have an effect on the undecided out there without being obnoxious. And it is on a playing field the Democrats can’t even begin to compete. Seeing a Veteran with medals on while walking into vote would be like seeing a cross on the road where someone has died. You can’t help but to slow down. I beg of you brave men and women to latch onto this idea and spread it around. Don’t limit to Nov. 2nd but everyday between now and November 3rd.
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am proud,humble and grateful to the Power which inspired me, that I was able to come up with an idea which works, and which has made a contribution to our movement.
Coldwarvet, SangRan, Aristotle, thank you for adding the refining touches.
And thank you al the rest of you for your words and support.

This afternoon I got out my medals and found I had to clean them off Embarassed The arcom was in good shape, but the gcm was covered withnasty gunk from the decayign cheap foam packing. A bit of alcohol an dgIing put it back in order. Andthe medals are now on my dark suit coat. And there they shall remain at least through election day, or until the crisis is passed - whichever is longer. And we see. Perhaps this may grow and last beyond next Tuesday. I'm advising all my vet friends who do not forum-ate here with us. You ought to do the same.

And yes. I wear them not for myself, we all know an arcom is a minnow among medals. I wear them for my 58,000 Brothers. I wear them as a declaration that, yes, I was there and claim some small honor by association with those who earned greater awards. And I wear them as a declaration to all that We are here, We are proud, We are Banquo's ghost to all the Kerrys of this land, and We are NEVER going back into the closet - so Xin loi Mike Foxtrot!

As for coat & tie. Medals deserve respect, and I'll dress accordingly. I can't make up my mind about a tie - I've got two options, I've got one tie in the RVN campaign ribbon pattern, and I've got a tie patterned with rampant elephants. Wearing two ties at once would be beaucoup tacky, so I'll probably alternate.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rurik wrote:
I am proud,humble and grateful to the Power which inspired me, that I was able to come up with an idea which works, and which has made a contribution to our movement.

Amen to giving credit where credit is due!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: