SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Energy Independence We Are At War
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: What else can we do Reply with quote

I like the idea of burning corn in my car.

So the problem is with BIG oil companies putting these pumps in service and then offer it to a wider area of use I gather?

So how do we get the Congress out of the pocket of BIG oil to pass legislation forcing these companies to offer this alternative fuel at each station they own or control?

Is the cost comparable to unleaded gas?

Independent that leans right of center.
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already are the worlds #1 agricultural producer of corn, wheat and dairy a large number of farms are subsidized to not grow crops.
Being a kinder and gentler nation we sell to other countries at a cheaper rate than we sell to our own citizens.
We should get all our farms to produce grain and corn at 100% capacity.
If the agriculture department made a new policy:
Any country needing our food supply of any kind should pay at the going rate in this country with no subsidies, and also they should pay us with oil, if they don't produce oil they can buy oil from an oil producing country and give it to us in exchange for an equal amount of grain.

Oil may be a necessity, but not as necessary as food.
Slednfool
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other alternative energy options are hydrogen fuel cells http://www.h2fc.com/
and bio-diesel http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/faqs/
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big oil is a strawman. The oil Co have been hamstrung by regulation and NIMBY goofiness. We have had no new refining capacity built in 23 years and no exploration. Hydrogen, corn etc are nice ideas, but not commercially viable. Drill holes, build refineries, create jobs in doing so and we will find other solutions as required.
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should drill into all our known reserves and increase our refining capacity to the point we have a reserve in case some have to shut down due repairs or failure. If the market drops to where it is cheaper to buy overseas crude, we buy it. If it raises to the point where ours is cheaper we use that. Just because we can produce our needs independently does't mean we need to do so all the time, just having the ability will keep market prices low.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotty61 wrote:
I think we should drill into all our known reserves and increase our refining capacity to the point we have a reserve in case some have to shut down due repairs or failure. If the market drops to where it is cheaper to buy overseas crude, we buy it. If it raises to the point where ours is cheaper we use that. Just because we can produce our needs independently does't mean we need to do so all the time, just having the ability will keep market prices low.

Supply side economics that make sense. Cool

GM1954
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
Big oil is a strawman. The oil Co have been hamstrung by regulation and NIMBY goofiness. We have had no new refining capacity built in 23 years and no exploration. Hydrogen, corn etc are nice ideas, but not commercially viable. Drill holes, build refineries, create jobs in doing so and we will find other solutions as required.

You are right about the Hydrogen power. The best commercial source of hydrogen is a hydrocarbon fuel called gasoline. Hydrogen is easy to strip from natural gas, but that supply is limited. You can also un-burn water, but that takes a ton of fuel to do.

However, don't underestimate the potential for ethanol. If you total up all the energy to produce ethanol with today's processes, one gallon of ethanol provides the energy to produce an additional 1.3 gallons of the fuel.

The studies that claim ethanol is not a viable energy source use some preposterous assumptions. One I looked at had farm equipment fuel comsumption at over 1000 gallons per hour.

The current corn crop from last year could provide enough ethanol to fuel a third of our cars. And this would have no impact on the protien and corn oil as this is a leftover product after distillation. Corn flakes might increase in price though.

Take a look at Brazil. This country powers over half of their cars on 85% ethanol fuel. They do it because it makes economic sense. And the cars are not the little tiny things that require you to change your life. They are the same cars we drive here, with just a couple of changes to the engine.

This energy thing is like a big game. If we play the game by the rules of the people who don't like us, we are going to loose. It's time to change the rules and drill in the US and use fuel that is not gasoline and that comes from our own country.
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like ethanol, but remember a few things about it. The US corn crop is dependant on weather, diease and the market for other crops grown on the same land. The corn crop is competed for by those who need it for corn syrup, livestock feed, bourbon and other uses besides ethanol. Too much dependence on ethanol would leave us in a lurch if the crop failed. As with other alternative fuels, ethanol is more expesive to produce than gas. Not that these problems are insurmountable, but they must be addressed and overcome before ethanol is a viable alternative.
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we have big appetite for oil in this country and something has to be done to increase production in the short term, and find other energy sources in the long term.
Especially since China has been almost doubling its oil usage every couple years.
But the oil companies are greedy and will sell their soul for extra profits.
Back when they built the Alaska Pipeline we were told that it would supply
if I remember right one third of our national consumption for 20 or 30 years, and the oil would be cheaper since it was American produced from American oil wells.
As soon as the Pipeline project was completed I didn't notice a decrease in gas prices, matter of fact gas prices kept going up.
I did some research and found out that all the oil coming from the pipeline was being shipped to Japan and Korea, and we in this country were still importing about 70% of our oil from the Middle East and South America.
The only thing I can figure is its got to be more profitable for the oil companies to do it that way, cause they sure do rake in record profits year in and year out!
GM1954
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using E85 in a 2002 Tahoe for almost three years now. In every station the price is $.05 ot $.10 less than regular gasoline.

Several years ago in southern Illinois, when gasoline was $1.35 per gallon, E85 was $1.20 per gallon. Since corn is a cheap as dirt the distributors have some latitude on pump price. The production cost from a couple of years ago was $.70 per gallon to manufacture a gallon of 200 proof ethanol. However, the oil companies make more by drilling, transportation, refining and distribution with gasoline.

As far as crop failure, that is a regional thing. The changes of a major failure are near 0 or far less than a hostile regime shutting off the tap. In addition, only the carbohydrate is used for alcohol. Protein and corn oil continue on into the consumer chain.

This stuff really is outstanding. It has a 105 octane rating which allows for high degrees of engine timing. (that's why the indy car people and dragster folks use alcohol fuel). If you use gasoline in a car the timing has to be retarded in order to NOT produce the nasty emissions. A lot of your gqsoline is burned in the catalytic converter and not in the engine. In a nutshell, fuel economy is the same as gasoline and the car absoultly flies.

I can't tell you satisfaction I get out of not sending dollars to countries that turn out folks that want to kill our civillians and troops.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Corn Power Reply with quote

GM1954 wrote:
I have been using E85 in a 2002 Tahoe for almost three years now. In every station the price is $.05 ot $.10 less than regular gasoline.

Several years ago in southern Illinois, when gasoline was $1.35 per gallon, E85 was $1.20 per gallon. Since corn is a cheap as dirt the distributors have some latitude on pump price. The production cost from a couple of years ago was $.70 per gallon to manufacture a gallon of 200 proof ethanol. However, the oil companies make more by drilling, transportation, refining and distribution with gasoline.

As far as crop failure, that is a regional thing. The changes of a major failure are near 0 or far less than a hostile regime shutting off the tap. In addition, only the carbohydrate is used for alcohol. Protein and corn oil continue on into the consumer chain.

This stuff really is outstanding. It has a 105 octane rating which allows for high degrees of engine timing. (that's why the indy car people and dragster folks use alcohol fuel). If you use gasoline in a car the timing has to be retarded in order to NOT produce the nasty emissions. A lot of your gqsoline is burned in the catalytic converter and not in the engine. In a nutshell, fuel economy is the same as gasoline and the car absoultly flies.

I can't tell you satisfaction I get out of not sending dollars to countries that turn out folks that want to kill our civillians and troops.

I'm a retired Air Force enlisted guy now working in civil service for the DoD.

The Air Force has used the FFV and alternative fuel programs for several years now and a wide range of vehicles are used. The mechanics swear by the vehicles and say fuel system or injector problems are less prevalent than in regular fuel vehicles.

The prices your paying seem much higher than they should be since this fuel should not have the environment impact taxes added. I think if production and distribution were more widespread the price would be about half what you quoted you are paying at the pump. Volume and tax savings would help everyone catch onto this technology.

With the additional taxes and fees added to gas in California it runs at least fifty percent higher than the rest of the Nation. Tell them they can run their cars at one-third the price per gallon and there would be no corn left to eat in the country.
Rolling Eyes

USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to make a comment about recycling corn but have thought better of it. Although I am sure some of you will read into this post what I was going to say.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Not the Same Thing Reply with quote

USAFE5 wrote:
I was going to make a comment about recycling corn but have thought better of it. Although I am sure some of you will read into this post what I was going to say.

ATOC...PORT OPS, you almost confused Methanol with Ethanol, the result is the same but the processing is different. Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: