SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sign This Petition For A Marine Who Did His Duty
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for passing this on to us. I just signed it and sent the word to all the people on my contacts list.

There have been another 400 or so signatures in the past half hour.

Dang, if he had just shot the guy in the back and wrote himself up, that Marine could have had a silver star!
Talon
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opps sorry for the duplicate thread! Maybe the monitor can take it down.

I'm in the low 40's of the petitition...can't believe how it's grown!

Salute everyone!
Hellfire
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, when I signed it there was only 200 signatures, now it's 34,000. Really warms the heart. Very Happy
gleanerl
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope this isn't a duplicate....

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-510832.php

Quote:
Online petition supports Marine accused of shooting wounded Iraqi

By Christian Lowe
Times staff writer

More than 24,000 e-mail signatures of support have been registered on an online petition backing a Marine accused of shooting a wounded Iraqi in cold blood during the battle for Fallujah, Iraq, on Nov. 13.
The petition was created by Alan Swinney, 34, a former soldier and veteran of the 1991 Persian Gulf War, who posted it on a free Web-based service.

“I know a lot of people who [are] really upset about it and I’m just trying to find a voice,” the drug screening collector from Midland, Texas, said in a Nov. 19 interview.

Swinney has sent his petition via e-mail to several members of Congress and even to President Bush.

The online petition is the latest move in a wave of support for the unnamed Marine who faces charges of war crimes. Marine officials are investigating the circumstances behind the shooting of an apparently wounded Iraqi after leathernecks with 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines, stormed a mosque from which they were receiving heavy fire.

Web sites have been flooded with postings saying the Marine was justified in shooting the Iraqi — an incident that has equally inflamed anti-American sentiment among some in the Middle East, where the wounds of the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal are still raw.

Many supporters of the Marine believe that since the insurgents do not follow the rules of war the leatherneck should not be held to such a strict standard — particularly in a situation in which the intentions of the wounded Iraqi were in doubt.

“I think the Marine was completely justified in his actions. The terrorists are known for ‘booby trapping’ their injured and deceased. So our troops have no way of knowing if it is safe to approach even the wounded,” one person who signed Swinney’s petition wrote.

“Give him a metal [sic],” another wrote.

Many of those who signed the petition are angry at the media for releasing the footage, blaming NBC reporter Kevin Sites, who was embedded with the suspect Marines’ unit, for stoking the controversy.

“Kevin Sites has got to be the worst of them over there,” Swinney said. “He was trying to get everyone up in arms about us blowing up mosques until he figured out that wasn’t going to work. He’s trying to get something started, and I guess he did a pretty good job with that Marine.”

And Swinney’s not alone in his sentiments.

“The media is on the terrorist’s side with this type of publicity. You cannot lay [sic] among terrorists shooting at our men and be granted clemency,” one petition signatory wrote.

Sites, who is well-regarded among war correspondents for his reporting skill and lack of political agenda, has been quoted as saying: “I have witnessed the Marines behaving as a disciplined and professional force throughout this offensive. In this particular case, it certainly was a confusing situation to say the least.”

Swinney brushes off the potential that a war crime might have been committed by the Marine. He hopes the petition — whose total number of signatories grows by the second — starts a groundswell of support to exonerate the Marine.

“It’s dangerous over there and we can’t really be judging how they fight the war,” Swinney said. “They want to come back in one piece.

“If I’d have gone into the room, I’d have put a bullet in every one of them just to make sure they were dead.”

OLD_SALT
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
I signed last night and was number 6639. Tonight, over 32,000!!!!!!!!

Although not mentioning the petition, eveb BOR said tonight they were not going to let this Marine be taken down.

I am proud to be #21465
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Petition Reply with quote

This petition is spreading like wildfire! At 12:08 PM EST on 11/19/04, I signed it at No. 48,981.

How high does it need to get before it is sent to Congress?
USS Endicott
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am proud to have signed the petition. I read some of the comments and was surprised to see the same comments posted more than once. Please don't post more than once as this will hurt the validity of the petition. I was also dismayed that some comments included an ad with their post. A petition in support of this marine is no place to advertise. Maybe ads and extra postings are normal, as I haven't signed too many on-line petitions.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.petitiononline.com/as123/petition.html

I've never seen one of these petitions take off as fast as this one has - and I've watched eight or ten or so.

From at least one to several a signatures a second coming in, right now. Smile

Seems this Marine has some company. OOORAH!

Stand with him, folks - and get your families and friends to stand with him, too.

58041 Total Signatures
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed and 10 members of my family signed that I
got a hold of Very Happy There is now 59867! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14:27 (my time) 11-19-2004: 60131 Total Signatures
16:46 (my time( 11-19-2004: 66004 Total Signatures
That's 5873 signatures in 159 minutes, or 37 (36.94) signatures per minute.

... and the site's been up for OVER 24 hours, which should either have
(a) been enough time for things to quiet down, or
(b) been there long enough for things to ramp up.

Here's hoping for plan (b), above!
Orolonn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just signed this at 2115 Eastern Time

I was signature # 72121 And that was up about 50 from less than a minute before when I had to go back and fix a typo!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79363 Total Signatures at 0457 Eastern!

7242 more in 7.75 hrs - 6 and a half signatures a minute, even including five "middle of the night" hours. Another 2-3 hours and it'll probably be over 80,000 and the rate will be on the rise, again. Smile

I've gotten one of my emails back to me, already! LOL! Anyone else?

Keep 'er rolling - even if this does NOTHING ELSE, it will tell that Marine will know that WE are standing with him!

With the Army Times reporting on it, it will let the military know that we support due process for this young man, no matter how the media wants to roast him.

WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://collegiatepatriot.us/current/

Damned if they do, Dead if they don't...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." --Thomas Paine

In their latest campaign to eradicate Jihadi vermin on the Iraqi warfront with Jihadistan, U.S. Marines and Army infantry have, in the last two weeks, purged Fallujah of more than 5,000 terrorist insurgents who were dug in throughout the city. The combat has been fierce.

A week into the Fallujah operation, an NBC photographer embedded with the 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, recorded video of a young combat-hardened Marine entering a room in a mosque where he found several insurgents on the floor under covers. Unable to determine if these enemy combatants were injured, dead or preparing to ambush his unit, the Marine raised his rifle in preparation to defend himself and his fellow Marines. When he detected movement from one of the combatants, the Marine yelled, "He's (expletive) faking he's dead! He's faking he's (expletive) dead!" and killed the Jihadi -- and that is where this story should have ended.

As it turned out, however, the Jihadi had been wounded the day before and the NBC photographer, Kevin Sites (whose photographs are featured on many anti-war Website), stepped up to get his 15 seconds of fame. Sites turned the video over to his network, telling them that he did not think the Jihadi was a threat, and within 24 hours, Lefty lynch mobs were forming to hang themselves a Marine.

Notably, the loudest protests of "war crimes" were from those who have never been closer to combat than the distance between their living-room lounge chairs and TVs. (Of course, it is a war crime to store weapons in a mosque as was documented, but the Lefties are not protesting that.) Indeed, the Leftmedia's mindless promotion of this video (as with the Abu Ghraib feeding frenzy: see -- http://FederalistPatriot.US/alexander/edition.asp?id=258) was tantamount to shaking a hornet's nest -- making the task of our fighting forces in Fallujah and elsewhere in the region all the more difficult. Actions have consequences, and the exploitation of this video empowered Jihadis in the region -- in effect, making life very difficult for our Armed Forces.

But what you're not hearing from NBC's Tom Brokaw or any other Leftmedia talkingheads in their wholesale condemnation of this incident is that Jihadis (knowing that U.S. military personnel have the decency to tend to wounded enemy combatants) have routinely booby-trapped the bodies of dead insurgents. In fact, one member of the Marine squad now being scrutinized was killed (and five others wounded) when attempting to check on a wounded Jihadi only days earlier. In addition, the Marine now being questioned for killing this wounded Jihadi suffered a wound to his face a day earlier when an injured Jihadi fired on him.

These facts notwithstanding, the Left and their media minions have now made this young Marine their poster boy for U.S. atrocities. Here, we would remind these hypocrites that a few short weeks ago, they were doing all in their power to support John F. Kerry's campaign for the most powerful office in the world. This would be the same JFK who received a Silver Star (with and erroneous "V") for chasing a wounded Vietcong combatant (described as a young boy in a loin cloth) around a hutch and shooting him in the back.

While we have strenuously questioned the merits of John Kerry's Silver Star for this action, we have never questioned his decision to kill this VC enemy, whom he judged to be a threat to his boat crew. By the Kerry standard, the young Marine in question should get a Silver Star. (Of course, enlisted personnel really have to do something spectacular to pin one of those on.)

Now that the Left is once again decrying military actions to liberate Iraq, please take a moment and join more than 115,000 grateful Americans who have already signed An Open Letter in Support of America's Armed Forces in support of our Patriots in uniform. These American Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Coast Guardsmen have plowed the ground for liberty while protecting their countrymen back home. We remain the proud and the free because they have stood bravely in harm's way and remain on post today.

For this, we, the American People, offer our heartfelt thanks. Please support our troops -- let your voice be heard! Join fellow Patriots on the front lines in defense of our liberty and national sovereignty. Link to -- http://PatriotPetitions.US/USMIL
(If you don't have Web access, please send a blank e-mail to:
Each e-mail sent to this address will be counted as one signature for the petition.)

Memo to the Pentagon: Leave the reporters embedded, but have them check their cameras in the rear. Otherwise, the resulting Leftist hype will continue to jeopardize our mission -- and jeopardize the lives of American military personnel.

Quote of the week...

"Some 40 Marines have just lost their lives cleaning out one of the world's worst terror dens, in Fallujah, yet all the world wants to talk about is the NBC videotape of a Marine shooting a prostrate Iraqi inside a mosque. ... The al-Zarqawi TV network, also known as Al-Jazeera, has broadcast the tape to the Arab world, and U.S. media have also played it up. The point seems to be to conjure up images again of Abu Ghraib, further maligning the American purpose in Iraq. Never mind that the pictures don't come close to telling us about the context of the incident, much less what was on the mind of the soldier after days of combat. Put yourself in that Marine's boots. He and his mates have had to endure some of the toughest infantry duty imaginable, house-to-house urban fighting against an enemy that neither wears a uniform nor obeys any normal rules of war. ... When not disemboweling Iraqi women, these killers hide in mosques and hospitals, booby-trap dead bodies, and open fire as they pretend to surrender. Their snipers kill U.S. soldiers out of nowhere. According to one account, the Marine in the videotape had seen a member of his unit killed by another insurgent pretending to be dead. Who from the safety of his Manhattan sofa has standing to judge what that Marine did in that mosque?" --The Wall Street Journal
granny23
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump

More than 95,000 signatures now.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

95581 Total Signatures at 1715 Eastern - and at about 40 signatures per minute, which it's doing right now, it hits the big 100,000 mark soon and might go to over 110,000 by tomorrow morning.

I'm happy to see this fill so fast - this is obviously resonating out there.

If this petition does NOTHING ELSE, it will at least tell this Marine that we are standing up for his rights to due process.

It will tell the military that we aren't going to let the media decide for us whether this Marine is guilty of anything, and that the military shouldn't do so, either.

It will tell the other troops that support here at home for their rights is strong and that we aren't buying what the media is trying to peddle.

And it will tell the media that we're sick and tired of the anti-war, anti-military slant in most of their reporting. Never again will we allow their stories to filter into our culture unchallenged.

The press has taken this story and attempted to turn it into another Abu Ghraib, while the reporter has suddenly chosen to go mute on the topic, insisting that he wants to keep reporting from where he is.

He has no business in a battle zone. He has further endangered the unit he is with, with his inflammatory coverage and he has at least attempted to bruise morale among our troops.

Please stand with this Marine and his right to a fair investigation.

Tell the world that under the UCMJ, he is INNOCENT until proven guilty.

Keep 'er rollin'! Thanks so much for helping with this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: