SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USMC Sniper stops insurgents from 950 yards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

commdog wrote:
Just like to point out that when I went through boot training in '65-'66 every Marine had to qualify with the M-14 (a different version of the current 7.62mm sniper weapon) at 1000 yards. Regardless of MOS, all Marines are riflemen first and deservedly proud of their fine tradition of marksmanship. Well done Sgt. Sandoval.
/CD

I would like to add that this is done with open iron sights while snipers use high power scopes. None the less, it was excellent marksmanship. Puts a whole new meaning into "reach out, reach out and touch someone."
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I'm (the horror) a liberal member of this forum, I'm also a former Marine who can more than appreciate what all went into this fine example of Marine Corps marksmanship.

When I went through boot camp in 1970, the qualification with the M-14 took place from 100, 250, and 500 yards, and a combination of sitting, standing, and prone positions. I was always a bit amazed whenever I scored a bulls-eye at 500 yards, much less even hit the target from that distance, but that's what training will do for you.

Speaking of marksmanship, my 12-year old son bagged a 5 X 5 white-tail over the Thanksgiving holiday. While that in itself isn't remarkable, as Montana allows 12-year olds to be licensed once they've completed a state-prescribed hunter safety program, the particulars of his kill are.

Hunting with three of his older cousins, Aaron knocked down his buck from 300-plus yards, in a driving snow, with an open-sighted .30-.30 Winchester. When the buck went down, one of his cousins looked down at him and exclaimed, "Holy cow! Who do you think you are, John Wayne?!"

My contribution, as little as it was, has been to work with him at the local range on taking his time, breathing, and squeezing, and insisting he learn with open sights.
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A liberal who lets his son kill Bambi? Very Happy

My son got his first last year, his excited yell let us all know it. I'm curious how big it will get with the passage of time. First deer always seem to be able to grow bigger racks after they're dead.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Fun to watch Reply with quote

Sure woulda been fun to watch those rounds hit, through a scope.
arkadyfolkner
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Shot - One Kill

(except for the last guy, some people need killing twice.)
olympian2004
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can support our American heroes of our military sniper teams at:

http://www.adoptasniper.org/
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USMCWayne wrote:
Even though I'm (the horror) a liberal member of this forum, I'm also a former Marine who can more than appreciate what all went into this fine example of Marine Corps marksmanship.

Someone forget to give you that stamp outta bootcamp that the other 99.9% of the Marines got....Republican, Conservative. Be proud of second sentence in your note but the liberal stuff, well just no need to tell us becuase you're not impressing anyone. Why bother so we can all go whoooo a Marine Liberal wow....yea I agree it's unusual we use to refer to em as the 10 percenters.

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lthrneck, while it's true most of us are conservative republicans, this group was set up as republicans and democrats to prevent the election of Kerry. I don't think it does us any good to trash those who agree with us.
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Cease fire Reply with quote

Whoa...wait a minute...wave Maggie's drawers here.

Somebody missed the target. The purpose of this forum used to be to sink John Kerry. Since he's still gurgling, a la Mary Jo, we still have work to do.

"Can't we all just get along?"
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey look, liberals are the reason for decay in this country. Anyone who states that they are a liberal is on my sh*t list Marine or not.

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: upon reconsideration Reply with quote

You may have a point, lthrneck. I simply disagree with your estimate of the percentage of liberals vs. conservatives in the Corps.

I was at Happy Hour one Friday afternoon when this guy proudly whips out his American Independent Party membership card. Then more than half the other guys whip theirs out too. I was drinking with a bunch of flaming right wingers!

http://www.aipca.org/history.html

Of course, I went out the next day and changed my party affiliation from Republican to AIP.

General David M. Shoup didn't strike me as particularily conservative. His view on the war in Viet Nam disappointed many of us. But he was retired, and a Medal of Honor winner to boot, so he was certainly entitled to his opinion.

There certainly are differing viewpoints in any outfit, and for a variety of reasons.

Perhaps USMCWayne was a Hollywood Marine?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what a "Hollywood" Marine is, but as I it, understand "ten-percenter" is usually a rather disrespectful term. I hope you were just kidding around with a fellow Marine. lthrneck? Wink

USMCWayne is most welcome, here... this has been a team effort and this country couldn't have taken Kerry out of the win without a whole lot of Democrats switching their votes to the Republican in this race.

Liberal or not, USMCWayne has always contributed cogently and politely - one of the most important "rules of the road," here. Most of all, he's supported the efforts to campaign against John Kerry by the Swifts. 'Nuff said on that.

And this example of marksmanship is just breath-taking. I am a proud supporter of www.adoptasniper.com - they are getting the special gear over there that our snipers dream of, in place of sugarplums. Wink The stuff that the police departments have but that haven't made it to the military pipelines.

Just got a newsletter from them the other day and they've supplied a large number of units in Afghanistan and Iraq, and now new teams are being rotated in and they're trying to support them, too. Special place in heaven for snipers - civil or military - God only knows how many innocent lives they spare.

A big OORAH for this one, too!

joe_madeup
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for anyone who might not know: many of the Swift Vets themselves are Democrats. Steve Gardner says he grew up in a family of Democrats, and had no objection to them protesting the war - only to Kerry lying horribly about his fellow servicemen. John O'Neill was invited to the White House as a young man and told Nixon he was a Democrat. John O'Neill also said that, after having voted Perot in 1992 and 1996, he voted Gore in 2000 reluctantly.

I couldn't say what either Gardner or O'Neill is today, but I know there is a tradition of military Democrat families in this country (and other parties). I'm sure that of the 250+ Swift vets in the group today, some are liberals.

The Swift Vet fight has been about *Kerry personally* (Kerry's bad character and actions in Vietnam and afterwards). Not about party or any liberal vs. conservative positions. If you find that hard to believe (and I can see where you would), take a breath and think on it for awhile. Let's respect everyone who supported the Swift Vets against Kerry, whatever their reason for doing so.

Last edited by joe_madeup on Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
USMCWayne
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "Hollywood Marine" is someone who graduated from boot camp in San Diego.

1991932 likes to rib me that my boot camp was so much easier than his stint at Parris Island. I think he's just jealous of the weekend passes, trips to Tijuana, and the fact we got to vote on whether or not we ran or walked to brunch. The daily gripe sessions, where we all got to gang up on the drill instructor, were also quite nice.

Other than that, I'm sure my boot camp was just as hard as 1991932's Laughing

As far as the liberal, conservative, independent, right-wing, left-wing thing, I'm confused. My views today are certainly different than what they were 30 years ago as age, education, situation, and experiences have served to moderate or strengthen my opinions.

I'm probably as opinionated as lthrneck and we may not agree on a lot, other than keeping Kerry out of the POTUS chair, but that's okay. That's America.

Semper Fi Bro,
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Labeling someone conservative or liberal does not necessarily make him a bad person.
I would trade two Conservative Arlen Specters for one Liberal Zell Miller any day of the week!
Whats important to me: God fearing, Patriotic, Honesty, Integrity, HONOR!
I'm sure a lot of Christian, God fearing democrats voted GW and helped our cause! And like Zell they may prefer to remain Liberal Democrats!
I just wished many, many more of them would "see the light"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: