SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diary of a Snow Shoveler
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HOV1
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to taking up residence in DIXIE, I grew up in PA and, after getting out of the Navy, lived in Milwaukee, WI for 10 years, so I am no stranger to snow. I was at the local "Sam's Club" in North East Georgia yesterday and had to laugh out loud... they were selling these little "boogie board" looking toboggans for Christmas. Now, since I have lived here it has snowed (maybe) about once a year and we get about an inch or so of pitiful looking snow... and here was some pretty lady looking wistfully at the sleds. I looked at them and commented that they looked like a souped up version of the old "roll up" toboggans that we regularly risked our lives with as children and she agreed. When I asked her where she was from she said "Oh... I was born and raised here" I laughed and asked her when she had ridden sleds and she said " I've only seen it on TV" . When I left, she was still looking at the sleds and the only thing I could think of was "Hope springs eternal" LOL. Laughing

Adults look at a new fallen snow and say "Oh Sh*t"
Kids look at a new fallen snow and say "OH BOY!"

Merry Christmas to one and all... of course my best Christmas present came in early November this year Twisted Evil

HOV1
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOV1 wrote:
Prior to taking up residence in DIXIE, I grew up in PA and, after getting out of the Navy, lived in Milwaukee, WI for 10 years, so I am no stranger to snow. I was at the local "Sam's Club" in North East Georgia yesterday and had to laugh out loud... they were selling these little "boogie board" looking toboggans for Christmas. Now, since I have lived here it has snowed (maybe) about once a year and we get about an inch or so of pitiful looking snow... and here was some pretty lady looking wistfully at the sleds. I looked at them and commented that they looked like a souped up version of the old "roll up" toboggans that we regularly risked our lives with as children and she agreed. When I asked her where she was from she said "Oh... I was born and raised here" I laughed and asked her when she had ridden sleds and she said " I've only seen it on TV" . When I left, she was still looking at the sleds and the only thing I could think of was "Hope springs eternal" LOL. Laughing

Adults look at a new fallen snow and say "Oh Sh*t"
Kids look at a new fallen snow and say "OH BOY!"

Merry Christmas to one and all... of course my best Christmas present came in early November this year Twisted Evil

I lived in Georgia for nearly four years as an Advisor to the Air Forces Reserve at Dobbins Air Force Base. I love Georgians, as they are the nicest people on the face of the Earth until they get behind the wheel. When they get behind the wheel a transformation takes place that is quite remarkable. To give a clearer picture for those traveling thru or to Georgia I did an analysis to explain what they were facing. I called it:

The “Dukes of Hazard Syndrome”.

When a Georgian male gets behind the wheel he morphs into a NASCAR driver who is driving the General Lee. You remember the General Lee don’t you? The car that would jump rivers, guardrails and any other fixed object and just keep going. It doesn’t matter that their car is a 1973 Ford Pinto that has a paint job to match the name; they are driving the General Lee wide open and imagining a 750 horsepower V-8 under the hood. I-85, I-75, I-20 and Georgia 78 are the run up lanes out to the real racetrack I-285, the Atlanta Beltway. You will see most NASCAR driving techniques displayed by much less qualified drivers. Drafting, pacing and rubbing rubber is a common sight and when these boys have a wreck it is most likely as spectacular as one at a NASCAR race. Now throw a quarter inch of snow in the mix and the spectacle becomes really exciting.

These guys have absolutely no concept how to drive in snow, so they just continue driving the General Lee full bore, pedal to the metal. To get an idea of what I am sayin, have a Boy dump out his toy box of cars and trucks in a pile and you can visualize the scene on the highways around Atlanta after a dusting of snow.

The difference between little boys and big boys is the size of their toys.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Independent that leans right of center.
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantom. I'm leaving my husband. Marry me.

Just screwing around.

You asked in another topic, what would we do if we were King or Queen for a day. I think I'd spend it with you. Oh. Poop. Were you talking about Weapons of Mass Destruction or Women with Mad Delusions?

Could a Day in Paradise be worth a delusion or two?

Now, don't go sending any private message, baby. I'm just dreamin'.

My boy leaves for the Corps tomorrow... needed a diversion, if only in my dreams. But I'll tell ya what, if I weren't married, I'd hop a flight for a lobster in paradise. And we ain't got no snow!
: )
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother wrote:
Phantom. I'm leaving my husband. Marry me.

Just screwing around.

You asked in another topic, what would we do if we were King or Queen for a day. I think I'd spend it with you. Oh. Poop. Were you talking about Weapons of Mass Destruction or Women with Mad Delusions?

Could a Day in Paradise be worth a delusion or two?

Now, don't go sending any private message, baby. I'm just dreamin'.

My boy leaves for the Corps tomorrow... needed a diversion, if only in my dreams. But I'll tell ya what, if I weren't married, I'd hop a flight for a lobster in paradise. And we ain't got no snow!
: )

Tell your boy Mother we will pray for him and tell him to listen to that SOB yelling at him, it just may save his hide one day. Smile

PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Merry Christmas Reply with quote

I was thinking of writing this post while I was dining on the Christmas Buffet at the Hilton all while watching the waves break at Tumon Bay. It is an incredible day in Guam with temps in the mid-eighties and clouds dancing across the blue sky.

The weather reports from the Midwest have made the Dream of a White Christmas come true for many of you that said they love shoveling and living in the Snow Belt. Have a wonderful Christmas and may God keep you safe and your home heating system in good working order.

Cool Cool Cool

Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of days ago we got covered with about 11" of the white stuff. My sis and her family are visiting from DC. Apartment is toasty, plenty of supplies in refrigerator and cupboards (both liquid and solid). Thanksgiving weekend I put multi-colored blinking lights on an eight-foot evergreen at the end of my patio. This lit Santa's approach to my home last night. When darkness descends, it truly resembles a "Winter Wonderland" with about 3 inches of snow caught in the tree branches. Streets and sidewalks are cleared, even though we can't see them because my patio looks out toward a wooded area. Now--THIS is Christmas and I hope everyone has a very merry one, as I know we will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: