SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CU prof's essay sparks dispute (re: 9/11 atttacks)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olympian2004
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill O'Reilly will be covering this topic on his O'Reilly Factor show Monday evening Jan. 31st at 8pm ET. (Replay at 11pm ET)
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard on the radio today that the professor resigned his chairmanship, but retained his teaching position.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=cb18a22f-0abe-421a-0138-063b1c8dbcce&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

CU professor resigns department chair following controversial comments on 9-11 attacks
Paola Farer (Web Producer)
Created: 1/31/2005 4:26 PM MST - Updated: 1/31/2005 6:31 PM MST

RELATED LINKS
CU professor: No apologies for controversial 9/11 essay
CU Regents to convene special meeting to address controversial comments by Ward Churchill

BOULDER - Ward Churchill, who headed the University of Colorado's Department of Ethnic Studies, has resigned as chair of the department. He will stay on as a professor.

Monday's announcement follows a growing furor over written comments Churchill made about the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks.

In the essay, he called the victims of the attacks "little Eichmanns." Adolf Eichmann was the Nazi who oversaw the plan to exterminate millions of Jews in World War II.

Churchill says his remarks have been taken out of context. He said he wrote the essay to explain how America's terrorist enemies view Americans and to build the case that American foreign policy has bred terrorist attacks.

In his resignation letter, Churchill wrote, "It is my considered view that the present political climate has rendered me a liability in terms of representing either my department, the college or the university in this or any other administrative capacity."

Churchill's comments have generated heated debates on campus and radio talk show programs. The Republican student organization at CU launched a petition drive to have him fired. The Board of Regents was planning to meet Thursday to discuss the remarks.

University officials welcomed the move.

"While Professor Churchill has the constitutional right to express his political views, his essay on 9/11 has outraged and appalled us and the general public," interim CU-Boulder Chancellor Phil DiStefano said.

In an interview with another Denver TV station, Churchill said he is not an advocate of violence.

"The overriding question that was being posed at the time was `why did this happen, why did they hate us so much,' and my premise was when you do this to other people's families and children, that is going to be a natural response."

(The Associated Press contributed to this report. Copyright 2004 by 9NEWS KUSA-TV, All Rights Reserved)
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/education/article/0,1299,DRMN_957_3512084,00.html

Quote:
Churchill's statement
January 31, 2005

The following is a statement from Ward Churchill:
In the last few days there has been widespread and grossly inaccurate media coverage concerning my analysis of the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, coverage that has resulted in defamation of my character and threats against my life. What I actually said has been lost, indeed turned into the opposite of itself, and I hope the following facts will be reported at least to the same extent that the fabrications have been.

more at the link
his so-called following facts
if he's trying to dig himself out of a hole with that statement, he certainly didnt succeed....just dug himself in deeper.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
"While Professor Churchill has the constitutional right to express his political views, his essay on 9/11 has outraged and appalled us and the general public," interim CU-Boulder Chancellor Phil DiStefano said.

While this outrage should be obvious to even the most partisan, condemnation by the board of a secular institution of higher learning is almost unheard of anymore.

For the times, they are a-changin'?
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 115 > § 2381

§ 2381. Treason

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

What more aid and comfort can one give to our enemies than to justify their acts of war against our country, to characterize innocent civilians as legitimate combatant targets, and to co-sign the enemy's own rationales for the attacks.

Terrorism is almost entirely psychological warfare, with the exception of the few actual military actions the terrorists are able to take against us. Promoting their propaganda agenda is collaboration and active participation in their politico-military objectives.

This is exactly what Kerry and the VVAW were up to in the 1970's.

This is not a question of free speech. This is a question of treason.

It should be dealt with - swiftly and ruthlessly - as such.

All this crap about Churchill's rights is just that - a diversion to shift the focus from the Constitutionally criminal activity he is engaging in.

And, he has been able to get away with this so far because of the legacy of the anti-war people of the 1970's - Comrade Kerry and his ilk, who went unprosecuted and became the precedent for the government to sit idly by while an entire generation of this country's defenders were vilified and marginalized, and while the national security interests of the nation itself were undermined.

No more. Never again.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Churchill is the tip of the iceberg at that school. Boulder = Little Berkeley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: