SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C-Span: Support Our Troops rally LIVE this Sunday at Noon ET
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the numbers I heard anywhere near correct?? Our local news last night said that Saturday the hate America crowd had 100,000 show up and that Sunday there were only 400. I did see some of the shots they had of the people on Saturday and I can see why they can get so many, looked like the 'its a free party crowd', old hippies, young punkers, scum of the earth types. Its not like they have jobs to stay home for.
One more thing, If Cindy Sheehan is so upset at the loss of a son, how come she has abandoned her other kids to be on the road all the time??? You would think a caring mother would be home holding them close.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've been wondering about this as well. Read this piece from this guys blog: http://www.proteinwisdom.com/index.php/weblog/entry/19075/

Here's a picture of the crowd

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20050924/i/r324680482.jpg?x=380&y=255&sig=z7ZKvHwFuY5PoJbC88asPA--

Sorry about the length of the link.

That's more people than I'd like to see, but it's way short of a 100k.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If:
(1) a football stadium holds on average 60,000 people,
(2) this place is the size of an average football stadium (I've never been there)
then my guess is 20,000 people (it looks like the stadium would be about 1/3 full)

I've heard estimates on the media ranging from 10,000 to "over 100,000" as well.
[img]http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20050924/i/r324680482.jpg?x=380&y=255&sig=z7ZKvHwFuY5PoJbC88asPA--[/img]
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sunday pro-troop rally was very, very disappointing in that so few people attended. I was surprised, to say the least, that the attendance was so sparse considering the number of folks who "say" they support our troops. The number 400 is probably close to accurate, but we certainly made up with enthusiasm, the lack of bodies. Ever heard of quality over quantity?

The speakers at this rally were outstanding! Especially moving were the Gold Star families. At one point, someone said that Casey Sheehan was receiving more respect and honor at this rally than from his own mother. One of the mothers spoke whose son was killed in the same action as Casey! What a difference between them and Sheehan.

The various politicans and Gold Star family members who spoke were awesome and I wish they could have been heard by the jeering, screaming protesters who were restricted to the other side of 4th Street by the police. It was absolutely disgusting to see all the news media over there interviewing those people and only one or two on our side of the street.

After watching things yesterday, in my opinion, a lot more folks are going to have to be very vocal and public about their views because the sheer numbers of the anti-war people make it seem that they are the mainstream and we are the fringe.

My observation of them was that they appeared to be less anti-war as much as they were Bush-haters. There was one woman dressed in pink who I suppose was a Code Pink person who got so angry at me that I thought she was going to charge across the street regardless of the police lined up on their motorcyles. I laughed at her.

There was one young man who had a marvelous time yelling back at the anti-war people, but for the most part, our side simply stood and watched them and laughed. With people like that, no amount of talking could ever convince them that they were wrong, and how they hated being laughed at!

I had been talking to a young woman who was taking pictures as we watched the protesters and she asked me some questions about how I felt about the war. I tried to explain why I supported the troops and their mission, but I also explained thow hard it was for me to talk because I was not an articulate person although I sure wished I were! Anyway, the next thing I knew, a friend of hers showed up with a tape recorder and microphone. Turned out they were from California and were there to record their observations. Next thing I knew, I was being interviewed.

Thank goodness Max Friedman was standing nearby and I got him involved with answering their questions! Max has a mind like a steel trap and he gave them quite a history lesson into the evils of facism and all it's faces. He was WONDERFUL!!! As many of you may remember, Max was one of the researchers for Unfit for Command. At one point, as we discussed the Mainstream media, I turned to the young man and asked if he knew the importance of Najif in Iraq. He shook his head with a negative answer and so Max and I told him that it was a holy city and there had been much fighting there involving the militia of the Shiite cleric, Moqtada al-Sadr. Then, I asked him if it wasn't good news that Najif had been turned over to the Iraqis to govern? Of course, he hadn't heard it and I had found it buried in a small little blurb in The Washington Times.

As I said before, we all need to go public so I invite all you local folks in the DC area to come join us at Walter Reed Hospital on Friday night! And bring a flag to wave and a sign to show your support! Don't let this anti-war movement treat our soldiers like all you Vietnam Vets were treated.

Navy Wife
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy wife wrote:
The Sunday pro-troop rally was very, very disappointing in that so few people attended. I was surprised, to say the least, that the attendance was so sparse considering the number of folks who "say" they support our troops. The number 400 is probably close to accurate, but we certainly made up with enthusiasm, the lack of bodies. Ever heard of quality over quantity?

<SNIP>

Navy Wife

I've been considering (all day) whether it would have been better not to have held a pro-rally, given the small amount of attendance, because of the numerical statistics given by the MSM, that implied message, and on and on.

After careful consideration, I've decided, Navy Wife, that you make me proud. The vast (silent) majority of us (Americans) don't have the time or resources to show up and counter-protest, and we take more than small consolation in the small percentage of us who can find the time to represent us.

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwb7605
Thanks for the vote of confidence! What's funny is that I almost didn't go myself due to the fact that I have been suffering with plantar fasciitis in one foot and now a heel spur on the other one!!! I had to use a cane to walk, and it was very painful, but I made it!!
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy Wife.....more photos @ Walter Reed
http://community.webshots.com/album/460950751XMWAjW maybe you can find more to send your son?
Wink

if you missed the rally on CSpan, or just want some pics to save
pics & great screencaps of rally on FReeper threads scroll around
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1490950/posts
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1491201/posts

DC FReepers' Club Gitmo sign
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1491642/posts?page=35#35
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy wife wrote:
jwb7605
Thanks for the vote of confidence! What's funny is that I almost didn't go myself due to the fact that I have been suffering with plantar fasciitis in one foot and now a heel spur on the other one!!! I had to use a cane to walk, and it was very painful, but I made it!!

I was there too!
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear you were there also, RDTF!!! Did you get to watch the sideshow on the other side of 4th St.? I am sorry I didn't know in advance that you were coming, for I'd like to have met up with you!
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy wife wrote:
Great to hear you were there also, RDTF!!! Did you get to watch the sideshow on the other side of 4th St.? I am sorry I didn't know in advance that you were coming, for I'd like to have met up with you!

No, I missed the slideshow! Didn't know about that. I bawled like a baby when the Gold Star familes spoke, and of course I had no tissues! And my sister said she saw me on C-SPAN. And I was trying to avoid the cameras! LOL.
Next time let's tell each other and make sure and meet up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: