SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Traitor's Tirade: Rep. John Murtha Soils The Corps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawmakers Reject Immediate Iraq Withdrawal

VOTED DOWN 403 to 3!!!

I'm surprised the Dems can still stand up since they are spineless bloviators.

Democrats said it was a political stunt and quickly decided to vote against it in an attempt to drain it of significance.

"A disgrace," declared House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. "The rankest of politics and the absence of any sense of shame," added Rep. Steny Hoyer of Maryland, the No. 2 House Democrat.

See the story here:

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/18/D8DVAQ6O3.html

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final Vote Results for Roll Call 608

Murtha Embarassed
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad that the Reps forced the hand of the Dems.

What I don't understand is re: this vote....it seems to me that the Reps may have defeated the purpose by giving the Dems MORE fodder by changing Murtha's 'language' (giving @ 6 months) to one that is immediate. I assume today that the Dems will not only be whining about the whole dang thing, but saying OF COURSE we had to vote NO, it was NOT Murtha's language, it was 'changed' to immediate. They'll say Murtha did NOT say immediate. They will say that their NO vote is indicative of NOTHING. Am I understanding this correctly? Theoretically, does 6 months vs. 'immediate' really matter?

edit to add: well, now to add to my confusion, I found this language in his statement: "To immediately redeploy U.S. troops consistent with the safety of U.S. forces. "

Help?
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msindependent wrote:
could be now that he's older a few ghosts/memories are flooding back. those in command have a heavy load that they can never show. however, i don't think that's all of it. as more comes out, this may have been one of those general/orincommand things for debate among friends. i've seen serveral (including mccain) that apparently wanted to send waves of troops over there to totally take over and occupy. he should have kept it to himself, he's not in charge anymore. military is more high tech now, etc. things change, this is a different type war. he got mad that it wasn't done his way and weepy about busted up soldiers, this made him weak and that let politics take over. because he's bull headed he just put the very troops he loves in harms way. not a smooth move and he should know better. he needs to retire from all and go fishing with his grandkids.

You know, I watched the repeat of his speech and as much as I did NOT like the action he wants us to take, I almost felt sorry for him. I agree with what you've said. It seems his wanting to take such drastic measures is based in emotion. I think he says he visits W.Reed every day! While I appreciate all that he does in this regard, I believe it has taken its toll, that and perhaps age. Im also not sure where he gets all his information from. It seems to me that he tends to exagerate to the point that what he says is downright wrong.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimberly, after watching, i felt sorry for him to. he made some good points, but he rambled a lot. i hope he can somehow gracefully distance himself from all this.
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of respect for Murtha..and I agree about emotion.

But, emotion..is not a policy..nor is it a strategy. He has emotionally repeated the storys of wounded vets he met. And says..it's time to bring them home.

Here we are...a few weeks before the IRaqi's hold their first primary election for perm gov. He doesn't mention the political process in Iraq.
He said only that economy and infrastructure is vital to any political future. And of course..the "reason" the economy and inftrastructure are so bad...particularly in Sunni areas...is because they keep blowing it the hell up!!! They behead contractors on TV. They kill or capture for ransom anybody who tries to rebuild their areas.

He also cited foreign polls. Good grief!!!! He mentioned the places he'd been...Anbar. Did he go to the Kurdish regions? Where they have been doing a LOT of rebuilding and investment? Did he go to the places where such construction, etc.."can" go on..because the insrugency, etc..is not blowing it up every day?

It's in the insurgents interests...to keep the streets full of muck, the buildings blown up and the neighbhoord terroized. That's what they do.

The political process in Iraq..has made REMARKABLE progress. The 3 largest sunni groups..have banded together to make a party..for the coming elections...and joined the political process. The "insurgent leadership"..are going to DIE fighting. So is zarqawi. Taht's whether we are there or not.

And as one RNC senator put it....after we leave ...then who exactly do we negociate with? His measure calls for persuing only diplomatic processes to stabilize Iraq after we leave. So...who do we talk to? Zarqawi? Former Baathists? etc? These are not people who WANT to negociate. They want to destroy the current gov as it exists..and take over. Or die trying.

And what kind of message exactly does this send to the people of IRaq right before this primary election?

A grandma in her 80s..who had grandsons in Iraq..called in to CSPAN and put it very succinctly.....Mr Murtha seems like a nice man....but....we didn't elect him president.

This all seems very concerted to me by the DNC> starting with the Plame Leak....and the recirculation of rumors about conspiricy at the WH..to LIE about intelligence etc..etc. Then...more media appreances by Dean, etc..tec...talking about president "misleading" us into war...a mistake...that us being there only makes it worse. That there is no plan..and it's going very badly.

Then...we got to get out of this mistake...etc..etc.

Then...Murtha. A vet...a Marine...sending the message that this war is done...it's hurting our military and we need to get them out now.

I would guess...strategically..the DNC is trying to thwart..what they "know" is going to be another successful election in IRaq. Haven't heard PEEP on the news about the sunni's forming a political base have you?

While I really feel, personally, for an old tired marine..who's just seen too much..and cares for his men and their safety....in a very geniune way...that's NOT the way to fight a war!! And it' sthe COMPLETE wrong message to send to our troops!!

I'm glad the DNC got called out on this. (although I don't really know how much impact it's going to have on them). You notice...they ALL backtracked when asked about specifics!! Of course ..they said...we don't support immiedate withdrawal...like it says here. Then what do you support? Umm...we'll get back to you. Or...we all feel differently about exactly what the specifics should be..etc..etc. hahahahaha.

They've been, effectively..saying that for the last few weeks! Pumping it...Bush lied, misled...war going bad...get out..bring our troops home cause we care about them fighting an illegal war and using checmicals on innocent civillians. BAH!!! It' sthe same ole crap!

I truly, truly, hope that the DNC gets reamed over this. But, I suspect they won't. Nonetheless...their damage is done. The entire world..is now deabting.."when" we are going to leave Iraq. Iraqi's are reading it. Our soliders are reading it. And I have little hope that the "MSM" is going to be a help in this.
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who were the 3 that voted "for" it?
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcornutt wrote:
Who were the 3 that voted "for" it?

3 Nay votes were Jose Serrano (D-New York), Robert Wexler (D-Florida) and Cynthia McKinney Shocked Shocked Shocked (Moonbat-Georgia), voted for withdrawal.

Six voted present: Reps. 'Baghdad' Jim McDermott of Washington; Jerrold Nadler, Maurice Hinchey and Major Owens all New York UberLib Dems; Michael Capuano of Massachusetts (D-what else?) and William Lacy Clay D- Missouri.

29 members not present.
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mckinney has more important things to worry about..who really killed Tupac..
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcornutt wrote:
I have a lot of respect for Murtha..and I agree about emotion.

But, emotion..is not a policy..nor is it a strategy. He has emotionally repeated the storys of wounded vets he met. And says..it's time to bring them home.

Here we are...a few weeks before the IRaqi's hold their first primary election for perm gov. He doesn't mention the political process in Iraq.
He said only that economy and infrastructure is vital to any political future. And of course..the "reason" the economy and inftrastructure are so bad...particularly in Sunni areas...is because they keep blowing it the hell up!!! They behead contractors on TV. They kill or capture for ransom anybody who tries to rebuild their areas.

He also cited foreign polls. Good grief!!!! He mentioned the places he'd been...Anbar. Did he go to the Kurdish regions? Where they have been doing a LOT of rebuilding and investment? Did he go to the places where such construction, etc.."can" go on..because the insrugency, etc..is not blowing it up every day?

It's in the insurgents interests...to keep the streets full of muck, the buildings blown up and the neighbhoord terroized. That's what they do.

The political process in Iraq..has made REMARKABLE progress. The 3 largest sunni groups..have banded together to make a party..for the coming elections...and joined the political process. The "insurgent leadership"..are going to DIE fighting. So is zarqawi. Taht's whether we are there or not.

And as one RNC senator put it....after we leave ...then who exactly do we negociate with? His measure calls for persuing only diplomatic processes to stabilize Iraq after we leave. So...who do we talk to? Zarqawi? Former Baathists? etc? These are not people who WANT to negociate. They want to destroy the current gov as it exists..and take over. Or die trying.

And what kind of message exactly does this send to the people of IRaq right before this primary election?

A grandma in her 80s..who had grandsons in Iraq..called in to CSPAN and put it very succinctly.....Mr Murtha seems like a nice man....but....we didn't elect him president.

This all seems very concerted to me by the DNC> starting with the Plame Leak....and the recirculation of rumors about conspiricy at the WH..to LIE about intelligence etc..etc. Then...more media appreances by Dean, etc..tec...talking about president "misleading" us into war...a mistake...that us being there only makes it worse. That there is no plan..and it's going very badly.

Then...we got to get out of this mistake...etc..etc.

Then...Murtha. A vet...a Marine...sending the message that this war is done...it's hurting our military and we need to get them out now.

I would guess...strategically..the DNC is trying to thwart..what they "know" is going to be another successful election in IRaq. Haven't heard PEEP on the news about the sunni's forming a political base have you?

While I really feel, personally, for an old tired marine..who's just seen too much..and cares for his men and their safety....in a very geniune way...that's NOT the way to fight a war!! And it' sthe COMPLETE wrong message to send to our troops!!

I'm glad the DNC got called out on this. (although I don't really know how much impact it's going to have on them). You notice...they ALL backtracked when asked about specifics!! Of course ..they said...we don't support immiedate withdrawal...like it says here. Then what do you support? Umm...we'll get back to you. Or...we all feel differently about exactly what the specifics should be..etc..etc. hahahahaha.

They've been, effectively..saying that for the last few weeks! Pumping it...Bush lied, misled...war going bad...get out..bring our troops home cause we care about them fighting an illegal war and using checmicals on innocent civillians. BAH!!! It' sthe same ole crap!

I truly, truly, hope that the DNC gets reamed over this. But, I suspect they won't. Nonetheless...their damage is done. The entire world..is now deabting.."when" we are going to leave Iraq. Iraqi's are reading it. Our soliders are reading it. And I have little hope that the "MSM" is going to be a help in this.

Everyone should read what you wrote. The truth is beautiful!
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the truth is ugly. War is ugly. It always has been. The fact that war is ugly and costly and difficult..is not a strategy or battle plan.

Should we have pulled out of WWII because of casulties? Most people remember the first years of that war didn't go very well for us. We got our arse handed to us. And there were numerous casulties.
Think about it. The more troops we land ...the angrier they got. My, My..there's a revelation. We are just making more enemies of the Japanese. And our soliders have done all they can do. Lets call it a day and get them home before anybody else gets hurt. BAH@@

In the case of Iraq...they are going to be killing each other over there for a long time to come. The goal of the insurgency..is to make the current gov and political process fail. The other objective is to divide the shiah and kurds as much as possible to lessen their political clout. If they can get them all fighting each other, etc..down to like 20 or 30% blocks of groups..the Sunnis at 20% or so..would suddenly become much more influencial and able to dictate terms..etc. Our goal, our plan, our policy our objective...is to get a political process that is democratic in nature (freely elected and representative) functioning enough to establish control over security with their own security forces/military. Most of the shiah and kurds are behind this..because they know that "numbers"/voting..means they will control Iraq. (they are together about 75% or so of Iraq). That's exactly why the Sunni's are fighting. As long as the shiah and kurds remain united..that's a voting block of 2/3 of the country...with no way to overcome it. That's why they are attacking shiah's in mosques..etc. and terroizing them.

We DO have a plan Mr Murtha! We've always had a plan! That plan is to get the Iraqi's to establish some form of freely elected gov that represents the WHOLE of Iraq..and not just Baghdad so help us God!
But the democrats don't like that plan..because it's hard. Because it's costly. Because it doesn't have a withdrawal date. So, their plan...is to do everything to undermind that plan. Their plan is ...we should have never done it in the first place..we were all misled...and we should leave. Perhaps we should apologize to Zarqawi on our way out for making him mad? Bah! They never understood the FIRST plan! They still don't see the significance of the political progress in Iraq. They have entirely refused to even mention it. They all were howling moonbat rages...prior to the first election in IRaq....about hwat a disaster it was going to be. Their entire view has been that the Iraqi do not want democratic gov..would not accept it imposed on them by our imperilistic gov and troops..etc. When the constitution came up...they argued on behalf of the sunnis, insurgency and zarqawi and continued to do so..even after the high turnout that defeated them.

They and the UN and everybody else...argues to protect the terroists and insurgent murderers...God forbid they get mistreated in jail...while they say "nothing" about the daily murders these people commit. The democratic party....is the party you put at the helm of a cruiseliner going to a vacation island....paid for by "rich people".....NOT a battleship of our nation.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcornutt wrote:
But the democrats don't like that plan..because it's hard. Because it's costly. Because it doesn't have a withdrawal date.

...but mostly because a successful outcome in Iraq condemns both them and their MSM sycophants to historical ignominy. Make NO mistake, they see this as a battle for the survival of their ideology and political viability. They are more than willing to sacrifice the honor, integrity and security of this country at the defeatist altar of their own political ambitions.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

becca1223 wrote:
Final Vote Results for Roll Call 608

Murtha Embarassed

Yes, becca,

That certainly was THE MURTHA OF ALL BOMBS, wasn't it!
Smile
Deuce
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deuce, shame on you Laughing

Barone on this topic...the "Big Lie" has no cover... (emphasis mine)
Quote:
The (Very) Big Lie
By Michael Barone
11/28/05

It is said that a big lie can work if it is repeated often enough. For weeks, leading Democrats have been hammering away at the Big Lie that George W. Bush lied about weapons of mass destruction in Saddam Hussein's Iraq. Starting on Veterans Day, Bush, Dick Cheney, and others in the administration embarked on a "pushback," arguing that Bush--and many leading Democrats, including some now part of the Big Lie campaign--accurately characterized the intelligence at the time.

Bush, Cheney, and the administration have the truth on their side. Exhaustive and authoritative examinations of the prewar intelligence, by the bipartisan report of the Senate Intelligence Committee in 2004, by the Silberman-Robb commission in 2005, and by the British commission headed by Lord Butler, have established that U.S. intelligence agencies, and the intelligence organizations of leading countries like Britain, France, and Germany, believed that Saddam Hussein's regime was in possession of or developing weapons of mass destruction--chemical and biological weapons, which the regime had used before, and nuclear weapons, which it was working on in the 1980s.

To the charges that Bush "cherry-picked" intelligence, the commission cochaired by former Democratic Sen. Charles Robb found that the intelligence available to Bush but not to Congress was even more alarming than the intelligence Congress had. The Silberman-Robb panel also concluded, after a detailed investigation, that in no instance did Bush administration authorities pressure intelligence officials to alter their findings. Much of the intelligence turned out to be wrong. But Bush didn't lie about it. Some Bush supporters argue that the pushback now is a mistake, because it prevents the administration from focusing on events going forward. But the damage to Bush's credibility is real, and he needs to repair it to speak credibly about the future. At the same time, we must remember that the United States and our allies did not go to war solely because of weapons of mass destruction. There were other reasons, which Bush articulated at the time and which have been vindicated by events.

One of them was to remove from power one of the most brutal regimes on Earth. Mainstream media have enjoyed focusing on isolated prison abuses by U.S. forces and, in the past week, by Iraqis. (Have the media ever focused so closely on prison conditions in our past wars?) But these abuses are nothing compared with what the Saddam Hussein regime did every day. Rape rooms, prisoners fed into shredders, hundreds of mass graves: Do we really want to forget that the liberation of Iraq has vastly improved the lives of millions of people there?

Results. Another goal was to advance freedom and democracy in the Middle East--not just to help the people there but to change the mind-set of the region that produced the attacks of September 11. Before 2003, the dictators and authoritarian rulers of the region focused their peoples' inevitable discontent on the United States and Israel. Now the progress toward democracy in Iraq is leading Middle Easterners to concentrate on the question of how to build decent governments and decent societies. We can see the results--the Cedar Revolution in Lebanon, the first seriously contested elections in Egypt, Libya's giving up WMD s, the Jordanian protests against Abu Musab Zarqawi's recent suicide attacks, and even a bit of reform in Saudi Arabia. In Syria, the Washington Post' s David Ignatius reports, "People talk politics here with a passion I haven't heard since the 1980s in Eastern Europe. They're writing manifestos, dreaming of new political parties, trying to rehabilitate old ones from the 1950s."

Almost surely, none of this would have happened without the liberation of Iraq. And there democracy goes forward: Seventy-eight percent voted for the Constitution last month, and democratic parties are contesting the elections to be held next month. Against this backdrop, mainstream media headlined the call for U.S. withdrawal by Democratic Rep. John Murtha, who has long been skeptical of the war in Iraq. The propagators of the Big Lie against President Bush are trying to delegitimize not only him but also all the progress that has been made as a result of Iraq, progress both toward freedom for Middle Easterners and toward a Middle East that will no longer threaten the United States.

U.S. News & World Report
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: