SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Democrats take the House majority
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have been shell-shocked, but the numbness is starting to wear off. I am not so surprised about the House. A lot of the Dem wins were the result of Republicans who were mad at the unfettered rise in spending and so voted for the Democrat who promised to bring spending under control. These are blue-dog Dems who have to be true to their campaign promises, so that could be a good thing.

However my greatest upset is the loss of the Senate. This is disastrous in that there are two Supreme Court Justices who will probably retire. And we will have Leahy as head of the Judiciary Committee. We will not be able to get the conservative Justices that I had hoped for.
Also, I think the Patriot Act is going to be reworked and NSA intercepts could be severely limited. This is all under the auspicous the the Judiciary Committee, which will now be controlled by liberals Leahy, Kennedy, Feingold, Schumer, Durbin, Feinstein et al.

God help us!!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)

Last edited by shawa on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I am not a warrior, but who is?" he shrugged. "I have never learned to fight for my freedom. I was only good at enjoying it."

Schadow, that's probably one of the most profound and thought-provoking quips I've read in a long, long time. Remarkable...just remarkable.

Thanks
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next two years will be one long liberal driven cluster****. Fortunately they do not have a veto-proof majority, so there should not be too much outrageous legislation foisted on us, but there will be one congressional investigation/hearing after another, in every committee which has the authority to caal hearings and subpeona witnesses. The executive branch won't have time to get anything done because they will be spending all their time answering fool questions on Capitol Hill.
May God watch out for us.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, cacophonia in the House.

Stalled Senate but it's been that.

Still chuckling about Rangel's draft. He could get Kerry to sign on so this time, unlike Viet Nam we only draft full-time college students; you know, just to help those dummies at the front fill sand bags and muck the bilges.

J D Hayworth? I'm a little surprised but then I was a little surprised when he, a loud sportscaster first got the job. His district includes snotty Scottsdale and ASU's Tempe. It was more style than substance with JD. Too, Dems spent big money the last week.

-Wlm Shakespeare
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldeagle wrote:
....... Fortunately they do not have a veto-proof majority, ....

That may be true, however they do control the House and therefore the proverbial "purse-strings" which is exactly were the final blow to the RVN originated. Crying or Very sad
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little-heralded item in the election is the fact that the first ever Muslim has been chosen for the House of Representatives. Keith Ellison will be sworn in January representing Minnesota's 5th District. Ellison was a long time supporter of Farrakahn's Nation of Islam and has been vigorously endorsed by CAIR, the Council of American Islamic Relations.

The taxpayer-funded PBS 'humorist', Minnesota's Garrison Keillor, who regularly laces his broadcasts with Lib points of view, is undoubtedly exultant.

An old piece in the Weekly Standard, "Louis Farrakhan's First Congressman", by Power Line's Scott Johnson, reviews some of Ellison's formative years:

Quote:

~snip~

Ellison was born Catholic in Detroit. He states that he converted to Islam as an undergraduate at Wayne State University. As a third-year student at the University of Minnesota Law School in 1989-90, he wrote two columns for the Minnesota Daily under the name "Keith Hakim." In the first, Ellison refers to "Minister Louis Farrakhan," defends Nation of Islam spokesman Khalid Abdul Muhammad, and speaks in the voice of a Nation of Islam advocate. In the second, "Hakim" demands reparations for slavery and throws in a demand for an optional separate homeland for American blacks. In February 1990, Ellison participated in sponsoring Kwame Ture (Stokely Carmichael) to speak at the law school on the subject "Zionism: Imperialism, White Supremacy or Both?" Jewish law students met personally with Ellison and appealed to him not to sponsor the speech at the law school; he rejected their appeal, and, as anticipated, Ture gave a notoriously anti-Semitic speech.

~snip~

Source

Schadow
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:

How did we lose this, with so much at stake?

God help us all.

People get the government they deserve....!

Less than 50% of the eligible voters went to the polls yesterday......and half of the 50% who went voted for chaos.

So 75% of the population are responsible for whatever happens in the next 2 years.

The only silver lining I can see is that the Republican Party richly deserved this thrashing. They could have done something about ......
Social Security
Illegal immigration
Out of control spending
Massive expansion of Government
and a host of other problems needing fixing, .......instead they rolled over and played like they were the minority party (sometimes even acting like Democrats) for 6 years.
Hopefully this will be a wake-up call for 2008.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
I'm afraid I'm more than subdued, today - Pollyanna has deserted me, for once.

I can't believe that Murtha was re-elected and Santorum wasn't.

I can't believe we're going to have to live with Pelosi et al in positioins of leadership for which they are supremely unqualified.

I can't believe we're headed back into the same old defeatism that snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory in Vietnam.

How did we lose this, with so much at stake?

God help us all.

I share your sentiments and agree totally. How did we get to this point? God knows but somehow I feel let down today and truly sad for our troops, the Iraqi's, and all the great Americans that understand why we fight. And yes, I too add, God help us all.

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodbye Iraq

Goodbye 2nd Amendment - Bush has said he will sign any gun restriction bills sent to him.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUSH SAID WHAT?
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LC, is there really evidence of this:

Quote:
Bush has said he will sign any gun restriction bills sent to him.

Or is this just another of the unsupported outrageous claims that I'm seeing all over the net today and yesterday where Conservatives are trying to find someone to blame, and are turning on Bush en masse? (Not wanting to accept any responsibility that their constant trash-talking of Republican leadership in the last year; their excessive. uninformed knee-jerk reactions to things like Dubai ports deal; and their coming across to Hispanic voters that they're not welcome here - just might have had something to do with why so many people - Independents and moderate Republicans - chose to support the Democrats.)
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that is completely beyond my comprehension.

Some people who we elected to go to Congress and act like conservatives did not do what we elected them to do.

So we "punish" them by voting for liberal Democrats, Independents, Greens, "anybody-but-conservatives?"

Where in the world did this cut-your-nose-off philosophy arise and who in their right mind ever had the thought that those conservatives can best be taught to be conservatives by helping to vote the lunatic fringe into this kind of power?

I keep reading comments to the effect that the turncoat conservatives had it coming, that maybe this thrashing will wake them up. What the hell good does it do now that they're out of office?

Where is the logic of this? I've tried and tried and I'll be dipped if I can figure it out.

Maybe I'm too hardline in what I consider to be non-negotiable... I don't know. This mindset is simply mind-boggling, to me.

Good Lord - Pelosi? Rangel? Leahy? All of them deranged but we just handed them the congress on a silver platter. Unbelievable.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugh Hewitt has a piece which heavily leans on McCain for losing the Senate and the Cunningham, Ney and Foley scandals for the House debacle. It makes some sense. Following are some snips but the full article is worth a read:

Quote:
The Road Not Taken: Forfeiting a Majority
By Hugh Hewitt
Wednesday, November 8, 2006

The post-mortems are accumulating, but I think the obvious has to be stated: John McCain and his colleagues in the Gang of 14 cost the GOP its Senate majority while the conduct of a handful of corrupt House members gave that body's leadership [to] the Democrats.

~snip~

The criminal activities of Duke Cunningham, Bob Ney and Mark Foley were anchors around every Republican neck, and the damaged leadership could not figure out that the only way to slip that weight was by staying in town and working around the clock on issue after issue. The long recesses and the unwillingness to confront the issues head on --remember the House's inexplicable refusal to condemn the New York Times by name in a resolution over the SWIFT program leak?-- conveyed a smugness about the majority which was rooted in redistricting's false assurance of invulnerability. Only on rare occasions would the Republicans set up the sort of debate that sharpened the contrast between the parties. In wartime, the public expects much more from its leaders than they received from the GOP.

~snip~

On April 15, 2005 --less than three months after President Bush had begun a second term won in part because of his pledge to fight for sound judges-- Senator McCain appeared on Hardball and announced he would not support the "constitutional option" to end Democratic filibusters. Then, stunned by the furious reaction, the senator from Arizona cobbled together the Gang of 14 "compromise" that in fact destroyed the ability of the Republican Party to campaign on Democratic obstructionism while throwing many fine nominees under the bus. Now in the ruins of Tuesday there is an almost certain end to the slow but steady restoration of originalism to the bench. Had McCain not abandoned his party and then sabotaged its plans, there would have been an important debate and a crucial decision taken on how the Constitution operates. The result was the complete opposite. Yes, President Bush got his two nominees to SCOTUS through a 55-45 Senate, but the door is now closed, and the court still tilted left. A once-in-a-generation opportunity was lost.

Read the full article

Schadow
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a huge amount of justifying (rationalizing, really) going on among Republicans to explain how they lost so badly. Much of this effort I read as attempting to fix the blame on somebody, anybody, other than themselves, and not honest attempts to really understand what happened.

For example, Conservatives are all a-roar about how the Republicans "lost their way." While that is a legitimate complaint for Conservatives, it does not explain why they lost the election; it is, however, an attempt to absolve Conservatives of any blame. But if you buy into this "lost the way" argument you're fundamentally stating that it was mainly hard-line Conservatives that crossed the line and supported Democrats . I don't buy that argument for a minute; hard-line Conservatives just don't - no matter how disaffected they become - decide to support the likes of Pelosi, Dean, Reid, Rangle, Murtha, etc.

As much as I like and respect Hugh Hewitt, I don't buy his argument that it was the Gang of 14 that was to blame either, and for similar reasons. The numbers and motivation just do not compute.

The more realistic way to look at this is to recognize that at the last election in 2004 - the last reliable and credible poll of the American thinking BTW - the Republican coalition was a razor-thin majority. With a margin that thin, one would think that a sane Republican party would try to retain and grow all the elements that constituted that coalition. Instead, the in-fighting and trash-talking began as Conservatives tried to take exclusive control of the Republican coalition, and enforce the Conservative ideology on everyone. This led, I believe, many non-Conservatives (e.g., Independents, moderate Republicans, legal immigrant Hispanics, and blue-dog Democrats) to see something very ugly within the Republican ranks, and they just told us what they think about it all. These non-committed-to-Conservatism Republicans were, of course, hugely aided and abetted by the MSM propaganda, and by the better ability of the Democrat's own coalition to appear as a united front.

In short we've just learned - if we'd only open our eyes and ears - that political majorities are achieved when compromise and inclusion are valued, and not by principles of ideological purity and exclusion (which are unfortunately a big part of the drum-beat of the hard-line Conservatives). IMHO Republicans lost this election for three principle reasons: 1) a partisan MSM, 2) a politically superior effort by the Democrats, and 3) a lack of common values among all Republican voters. Based on comments I'm finding all over the Internet I fear that it's going to be a very long time before Republicans and Conservatives figure it out, and return to power.
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either, Bush sells out to the Democrats,
or,
it will be very ugly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: