SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U.S. Servicemen and Women Asked To Return Bonus Money
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He clearly said in his fox interview that he had heard stories about this happening to other people..and that after doing a local interview ..there were numerous people who called in to say it had happend to them as well (they recieved the letters). That's what started this whole thing rolling (his appreance on a local Pittsburg show). I would also remind that it's not one letter..but 2. He recieved a 2nd letter demanding payment within 30 days.

"In late October, Fox got a letter from the Army seeking repayment of part of his enlistment bonus because he had only completed about a year of his three-year service. Another letter arrived a week later warning he could be charged interest if he didn't make a payment within 30 days.within 30 days or else."

The army initially responded to the intial media exposure of this thusly:

"Soldiers who are injured or become ill while on active duty can keep all sign-up bonuses due them, the Army said. But the Army hasn't decided whether to pay Fox his unused leave", Army spokesman Major Nathan Banks said. The statement came after Fox appeared on local and national TV and radio shows to talk about the letter.

From there, it seems..the pentagon was compltely unaware of the issue until major media outlets were banging on their door. After we find the total number of people who were sent these letters (and follow up letters demanding payment...as if the first mistake wasn't enough), I think we are going to have a full blown fan/**** party. Because frankly..it appears for now that it may be thousands.
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also add...it doesn't matter if it's even ONE. The way this was handeld...clearly shows a "complete" breakdown in the system and chain of command.

The fact that they can muster a correct response after it's reaming them a new *******...doesn't exactly create any sort of confidence.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcornutt, let me suggest that there appears to be no real argument here, only an emphasis or focus on 2 different aspects to this story...and let's stipulate from the git go that there is NO criticism at all directed towards Sgt? Fox by anyone. In fact, based upon what we've all been reading and quite to the contrary, he has done exactly the RIGHT thing in opening up to the media in his effort to correct an obvious wrong by a recalcitrant, stodgy bureaucracy both for himself and his fellow wounded veterans.

That being said, is there a veteran who ever served that didn't experience at some point a "SNAFU" in the administration of their pay? The Army had been denying me over a year's worth of TDY pay I thought I was entitled to and had earned during my training. Several appeals to and through the system had fallen on deaf ears and I had, quite frankly, given up the pursuit. Not until I had the good fortune to benefit from the sharp eye of a finance officer while in RVN (who noted the discrepancy himself without prompting from me during a "routine" review of my records) was my pay restored...and not an inconsiderable sum at that.

But what also troubles me/us about this matter is the degree of zeal which the media can seemingly muster and apply to episodes such as this, further evidencing their built-in, opportunistic propensity to cast military administration, support and even the troops themselves in an unfavorable light at any given opportunity. Would that their collective lack of focus or attention on the incredible daily heroics and sacrifices of our troops be as easily recognized...and corrected.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
That being said, is there a veteran who ever served that didn't experience at some point a "SNAFU" in the administration of their pay? The Army had been denying me over a year's worth of TDY pay I thought I was entitled to and had earned during my training. Several appeals to and through the system had fallen on deaf ears and I had, quite frankly, given up the pursuit. Not until I had the good fortune to benefit from the sharp eye of a finance officer while in RVN (who noted the discrepancy himself without prompting from me during a "routine" review of my records) was my pay restored...and not an inconsiderable sum at that.

Me#1You#10,
You are right. EVERY serviceman has probably had a pay problem at one time or another. Mine was in Viet Nam. A VC morter round took out the filing cabinet with my pay records in it (zero human casualties). Result. 9 months without receiving a single cent from Uncle Sammy, followed by the biggest payday I'd ever seen (back pay). If you'll remember, they used to pay in cash. Wow!!!
Jack
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
Thanks Kate. I hadn't seen that. Evidently this was an isolated case that some jerk reporter decided could be used to make the military look bad. And I fell for it. :oops: . If I could delete the post I would; I certainly don't want to help the media guy cast a bad light on our military.
'Media' certainly doesn't need any help to cast a dark light on our military....just got thru watching the CNN 'special' "Broken Government, Fighting the VA", mostly a snark piece against the Walter Reed Army Hospital, about 2 wounded veterans from the Chicago area (worst place to be from in the USA if you're a wounded vet, gratis corrupt Dickie Durbin)! But there were enough positive comments about one of them, the current Illinois VA coordinator to make up for the lies, etc. (needs its own thread so don't respond here)
Deuce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
...It's certainly a non-event in terms of frequency. However regrettable it is that a wounded soldier should get this kind of notice, pay glitches and problems are constant - in the military and out. Goophy is right - it's an automated system with lots of opportunities for error. The wounded are not (unfortunately) immunized against problems with pay and allowances. ...I'm skeptical, to say the least. There are just too many people in the press who are willing to go way out on the ragged edge for any scrap that puts the military in a bad light.
as was shown in the CNN hit piece "Broken Government, Fighting the VA". With the wounded, it is often their spouses who have to deal with the government bureaucrats which compounds the problem!...giving the CNNwanabees plenty of opportunity for more misguided hit pieces!
Deuce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcornutt wrote:
...4) Because of this, as well as no other systems being put in place to recognize or catch this otherwise, it was never brought to anyone's attention up the chain of command until it was on the news.
Actually, there IS 'a system' in place to help EVERY veteran with claims...at every VA Regional Office/VA Center/Clinic/Hospital there is a "claims adjudicator" or veteran's service (welcome) department to help vets with claims. Also the Paralyzed Veterans, Jewish War Veterans, DAV, American Legion , VFW are chartered by Congress to do the same for veterans everywhere, sometimes with more success. You'll never see THAT in 'the media', because that would be 'helpful' to the military. We'll continue to see the opposite (a la "Broken Government,Fighting the VA", gratis CNN), spurring some of us to do more 'volunteer' work with the VA, which ain't all bad!
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...we are not in disagreement on the substantive issue. Yes, I know military is redtape, snafu, etc. I know there "are" depts that are "supposed" to handle such things or who can handle such problems..who may or may not have been aware of this either. I fail to see how that changes who is ultimately responsible for this, nor does it minimize the damage this is likely to cause.

Personally, I would hope that our mlitary commanders and officers are held to a HIGHER standard than your average private sector secretary (who would most likely be FIRED for such a "snafu"). I would demand it from the people who served under me...as it is demanded of me by the people I serve, who's sons and daughters I watch after.

edit: CNN..."is" the enemy and always has been. They do the same thing to everybody. Is this somehow "news" to the pentagon? We train our soliders to defeat our enemies...not ....play into their hand and then cry about it. CNN ...and other media outlets as well as politicians....WILL..use whatever mistakes are made to their own purposes. That's just a given. The point there...is not how much zeal CNN has in doing it. It's in how ill-prepared the pentagon was..and how open they were to attack. Blaming CNN isn't going to fix anything.

That's all I have to say.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it all good things or bad things that come in 3's?. Here's #3 in a recurring theme by Gregg Zoroya...

Quote:
20,000 vets' brain injuries not listed in Pentagon tally
By Gregg Zoroya
USA TODAY
Nov 24, 2007

At least 20,000 U.S. troops who were not classified as wounded during combat in Iraq and Afghanistan have been found with signs of brain injuries, according to military and veterans records compiled by USA TODAY.

The data, provided by the Army, Navy and Department of Veterans Affairs, show that about five times as many troops sustained brain trauma as the 4,471 officially listed by the Pentagon through Sept. 30. These cases also are not reflected in the Pentagon's official tally of wounded, which stands at 30,327.

HIDDEN WOUNDS: Marine didn't recognize signs of brain injury

The number of brain-injury cases were tabulated from records kept by the VA and four military bases that house units that have served multiple combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

One base released its count of brain injuries at a medical conference. The others provided their records at the request of USA TODAY, in some cases only after a Freedom of Information Act filing was submitted.

USA TODAY ARCHIVES: Brain injuries from war worse than thought

The data came from:

• Landstuhl Army Regional Medical Center in Germany, where troops evacuated from Iraq and Afghanistan for injury, illness or wounds are brought before going home. Since May 2006, more than 2,300 soldiers screened positive for brain injury, hospital spokeswoman Marie Shaw says.

• Fort Hood, Texas, home of the 4th Infantry Division, which returned from a second Iraq combat tour late last year. At least 2,700 soldiers suffered a combat brain injury, Lt. Col. Steve Stover says.

• Fort Carson, Colo., where more than 2,100 soldiers screened were found to have suffered a brain injury, according to remarks by Army Col. Heidi Terrio before a brain injury association seminar.

• Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, where 1,737 Marines were found to have suffered a brain injury, according to Navy Cmdr. Martin Holland, a neurosurgeon with the Naval Medical Center San Diego.

• VA hospitals, where Iraq and Afghanistan veterans have been screened for combat brain injuries since April. The VA found about 20% of 61,285 surveyed — or 11,804 veterans — with signs of brain injury, spokeswoman Alison Aikele says. VA doctors say more evaluation is necessary before a true diagnosis of brain injury can be confirmed in all these cases, Aikele says.

Soldiers and Marines whose wounds were discovered after they left Iraq are not added to the official casualty list, says Army Col. Robert Labutta, a neurologist and brain injury consultant for the Pentagon.

"We are working to do a better job of reflecting accurate data in the official casualty table," Labutta says.

Most of the new cases involve mild or moderate brain injuries, commonly from exposure to blasts.

More than 150,000 troops may have suffered head injuries in combat, says Rep. Bill Pascrell, D-N.J., founder of the Congressional Brain Injury Task Force.

"I am wary that the number of brain-injured troops far exceeds the total number reported injured," he says.

About 1.5 million troops have served in Iraq, where traumatic brain injury can occur despite heavy body armor worn by troops.

USA Today
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Me#1You#10,

The brain injury thing is something the defense department has recently shown a desire in trying to do something constructive about. They know far more of our warriors get unseen injuries than most people would admit. They recently requested quotes from industry for a blast dosimeter device. It is supposed to be small enough to wear as a badge or attach to a helmet. It is supposed to measure loudness of a blast, intensity of light and thermal radiation coming from a blast, pressure front and g-forces experienced by the wearer. This is a low power recording device that medical people can look at and tell how severe the exposure has been. It will also due the cumulative thing. Supposedly this will help those who get near misses, get internally injured, or may be in need of treatment even though they don't know it.

Jack
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea to me Jack but I am somewhat surprised that this whole concept and awareness of concussive damage to the brain appears to be seen as some relatively new phenomenon. I'm a bit puzzled.
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10,
Silly boy, it's all about lawsuits and liability.
When you and I were in the service, nobody every hear of someone suing for hot coffee either.
Now they have lawyers who are out to drain every last cent from whoever is in a position to pay.
Jack
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
...it's all about lawsuits and liability.

I dunno Jack. I suppose I had always just assumed that diagnostics for concussion injuries would be SOP in medical workups for our wounded, especially for injuries sustained from explosive devices. Perhaps the preponderance of IED injuries and advancements in diagnostic capability have combined into the "perfect storm" for identifying an as yet underreported combat injury.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:

...diagnostics for concussion injuries would be SOP in medical workups for our wounded, especially for injuries sustained from explosive devices. Perhaps the preponderance of IED injuries and advancements in diagnostic capability have combined into the "perfect storm" for identifying an as yet underreported combat injury.

The underreporting is probably a given. How many of us have shrugged off going to sick call? Unless it is SOP to do a full scan on anyone that has been near a blast regardless of any visible or voiced injuries there would be quite a few cases that are never diagnosed much less reported. Tis the nature of the beast on this one as the guys just don't realize they've been injured at all.

I question the severity of these "brain injuries" used in the numbers. Are the numbers reflective of just those injuries causing a deficit or, more likely, any and all bruising no matter how slight.

Don't get me wrong, even a very minor concussion can be nasty but the tone of the articles so far leads one to believe our soldiers are being misdiagnosed or mistreated in some way. The docs can't find the injury if the patient doesn't complain. Hopefully this will be a learning experience for all and the ones effected will not simply gut it out next time round.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politicians operating one move at a time. How could it not be for seen that benefactors of a signing bonus might not fulfill the terms of the bonus due to war injury. Or maybe they just wanted to be in position to recover the bonus from any ticket punchers like John Kerry.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: