SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many of us got "Captains Mast" and why?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duhaast
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: (sigh)..... Reply with quote

I really hesitate to do this on a forum where I'm pretty new, don't know anyone, and it's military to boot....

...but you asked, so here goes....

...please, be gentle....

I was young, scared, and also mixed up with the JW's back then. JW's reject identifying oneself with national things like voting and military service.

As a result, I thought the right thing to do was declair Consciencious Objector status.

The case was moving through channels when the ship (USS MISPILLION, AO-105) left for WESTPAC Feb. 14, 1972.

There was another guy, Kelley, who was just plain anti-war. I thought I had different motives (religious and philosophical), but the two of us were not on board when the ship left Long Beach.

We then heard about a group of six or seven in San Diego from the USS KittyHawk, and a large anti-war movement down there called "Stop The Hawk".

We hitch hiked to S.D., found the group, (I later realized it all happened at a Quaker church), Joan Baez showed up and sang for our little group the first night, and then as soon as the KittyHawk got under way, we turned ourselves in to the Navy.

My spirits were not high at that point.

We were helo'ed to the Hawk, and right away we all were on the bridge at mast. The Capt. turned to Kelley and me and made it clear that he had no authority over us, would rip us if he could, but nevertheless invited us to stay and watch what we would soon be in for.

For 1 week, I waxed the decks in the Master-At-Arms office at midnight, and then had the run of the ship on my own for the rest of the time.

That was actually pretty cool, I saw lots of what goes on on a carrier, and was eating about 5 times a day.

The end of that week we caught up with the Mispillion, and Kelly and I were helo'ed over and immediatly taken to mast.

Capt. Harold Barker was not a happy man, and threw the book at us.

I don't remember what Kelley got, but I (E-3) was busted to E-2, fined 1/2 month's pay for 3 months, 30 days restriction and 30 days extra duty.

It actually sort of got my attention "I fought the law and the law won.."

Eventually I actually got verbal comendations from the 1st Lt. for my work on my UNREP station, and I became the only non-rated (E-3) guy in B-Div. to be in command of an in-port watch section in the fireroom.

Over the years my politics and world view changed, and I became very proud of having served in the war.

The reality of what I had done also bothered me constantly. In 1998 I was able to find both my old XO and BT Chief, and was able to appologise to both of them. Both men, Capt. Krumm and Chief Wassom were both extremely gracious and forgiving. That meant a great deal to me.

Last Oct, I also attended the 1st reunion for Mispillion. I took a few moments to speak to the entire group and express my regrets for my actions many years ago. That too was well received, and it is truly a load off my mind.
roughfun
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were all young and learning dont be so hard on yourself. Every party I went to in the 60's someone would offer to help me desert. I even went to an SDS rally at Chapel Hill because this cute chick I was with wanted to go. I lived in both worlds at the same time but just like you have to survive in Nam you have to take care of your needs when your home. Semper Fi
PigBoatAndy
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: "Borrowing" A Government Truck Reply with quote

DID NOT HAPPEN TO ME - HAPPENED TO ONE OF THE EM'S ON ANOTHER BOAT

The kid was not too bright. He burned out the clutch on one of our "loaner" pickup trucks and his Chief wrote him up.

The Captain did not want to hold Mast - too much paper work. So he just restricted the kid to the ship yard for thirty days. But - the Capt told the kid that that he would not be a deserter until he was AWOL for 30 days. I have no idea what the Capt was thinking when he said that. Question

Now, this kid was not bright - permanent SA - Idea

So, he takes off for home (up in Minnesota or North Dakota). And, when the kid is gone 30 days the Capt turns him in as a deserter.

Call his parents "Your kid is a deserter - Do you know where he is?"

Dad responds "Why he's right here watching the Packers game" Wink

Next day, Dad, in person, brought the kid back to the ship yard (from the "iron ore" mines to Norfolk) and turned him into the MAA.

That was almost 40 years ago - and when we get together we still get a chuckle over it.

THIS IS NOT A SEA STORY - I HAD BUDDIES ON THE OTHER BOAT - AND IT WAS POSTED IN OUR POD
Mark
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny stories to which this retired O-6 will contribute.
Some years ago I was the leading Electronics Technician on a brand new ammunition ship undergoing shakedown at GTMO. One evening four of us E-5s were drinking in the EM Club and being hassaled by some E-2/3s off another ship who were at an adjoining table. Thye were kicked out and shortly after we left. Enroute to the fleet landing that group jumped our group and a mini-brawl ensued.
The next day one of them was brought aboard our ship to identify who hurt him from a lineupof just our group which they had confronted in the club. The guy pointed at my friend Sal and said he hit me and knocked me down (true) then at me and claimed I had kicked him (false; actually I stopped Sal from kicking him more).
Off to Mast. CO was Captain M.U. Bebee who wore the Navy Cross (Korea) and had steely blue eyes. He heard the charges, lloked me in the eye and asked what I had to say. I lloked right back into those eyes and told him I had not kicked that guy and had, in fact, help terminate the confrontation. He dismissed and said he NEVER wanted to see me again. I believed him. A year later the same CO (and XO) pushed me for the Navy's Integration Program and I was off to OCS.
Full circle, once before Mast myself and years later holding Masts. By the way, it is not a pleasant experience to be on the other side of that podium. Even your best guys sometimes screw up and you HAVE to smack them (fortunately there is a wide range of smack options), particularly for drug use. There can be no leeway for one toked up while controlling 1200psi steam, for example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: