SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CBS "Documents" damning Bush may be fakes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viator
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Fake or not Fake, how is this resolved? Reply with quote

I've read that some think these documents are fake, but CBS says they're not. I definitely think that they are suspicious, but I'm no expert. I would like to hear some respected authority resolve the issue.

I think that it's telling when the head of the DNC starts saying that they're a dirty trick by the Republicans. Isn't that sort of an admission that they're fake? The democrats are already trying to deny that they had anything to do with it. It looks like they're in full damage control mode already. Isn't that a little odd at this point?

Can't the Air Force or ANG determine if they're authentic? I can't believe that it would be that hard to verify their authenticity. Confused
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a story from another web site...we need to blast CBS's handling of this entire story along with their political agenda.

RATHER DIGS IN: THE DOCUMENTS ARE AUTHENTIC

CBSNEWS anchor and 60 MINUTES correspondent Dan Rather publicly defended his reporting Friday morning after questions were raised about the authenticity of newly unearthed memos aired on CBS which asserted that George W. Bush ignored a direct order from a superior officer in the Texas Air National Guard.

CNN TRANSCRIPT:

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

DAN RATHER, CBS NEWS ANCHOR: I know that this story is true. I believe that the witnesses and the documents are authentic. We wouldn't have gone to air if they would not have been. There isn't going to be -- there's no -- what you're saying apology?

QUESTION: Apology or any kind of retraction or...

RATHER: Not even discussed, nor should it be. I want to make clear to you, I want to make clear to you if I have not made clear to you, that this story is true, and that more important questions than how we got the story, which is where those who don't like the story like to put the emphasis, the more important question is what are the answers to the questions raised in the story, which I just gave you earlier.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

CBS NEWS executives on Thursday launched an internal investigation into whether its premiere news program 60 MINUTES aired fabricated documents relating to Bush's National Guard service, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned. "The reputation and integrity of the entire news division is at stake, if we are in error, it will be corrected," a top CBS source explained late Thursday.

Developing...
clipper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: forged letters Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that the letter(s) signature block reads Lt. Colonel? I was in the Army in 69-72 and in those days the services were abbreivation crazy. If memory serves me right, the abbreviation for an 05 would be LTC or LTCOL. Most officers ranks in official letters were written this way and very few 05's wrote their own orders....they usually had the exec officer do it.
clipper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing I just noticed in the physical letter....the signature block says Commander....every document that I recall seeing in those days in the Army the CO's signature block said "Commanding" Maybe an old Air Force Guy out there would know if this is the way they did it back then. I can't beleive that CBS would be so stupid to run with this BS
ETEE
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let CBS News and Dan Rather, know exactly what you think of them:
http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/feedback/fb_news_form.shtml
clipper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did just that earlier in the day...Fox news has been covering the story but they haven't really got their teeth into it as yet. Doe it not make sense that documents from this unit exist somewhere? A simple comparision between the CBS docs and any others unearthed(no matter what the subject) will reveal the truth of the matter. Arguing about the fonts and such leaves the question open....major differences between these docs and others from the same era or even the same unit would be powerful proof of a scam by the Kerry team.
stevec
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DEMO'S TACTICS HERE IS QUITE CLEAR. If they bring up the Bush AWOL issue first and the media spends any amount of time on it, when Kerry's 3 1/2 years as being AWOL will seem only like a Repulican response and smear attack. Sort of tit for tat. Regardless that while Kerry was still in the active reserves he went to Paris and committed other crimes that he could be punished for, they are just trying to muddy the waters first. Biding their time. This is a classic Clinton tactic, look for more of them as the Kerry teams has Bill's crownies onboard.

Steve Christensen
dmroyer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following website has all the information on the documents and Rathergate!!!!! http://www.hughhewitt.com/#
noyesj
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In looking at this paper I see one thing that is not mil. spec.
Where is the posting sig. ( cc to personal file by person who
wrote the memo? )

noyesj7
USAF
Truegrit
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: CBS coverup on Killian memos Reply with quote

Maj Gen Hodges, Killian's superior officer, says CBS misled him about the documents and, it appears, did not quote him accurately.

The CBS coverup begins to stink frankly.

For latest ABC News update:
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/politics/NotedNow/Noted_Now.html
Montana
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond the documents, there´s the way CBS (60 minutes)
presented the story, leaving out what relatives said (that the
documents were fake), and
others who served with Pres. Bush, who thought Bush
was a fine pilot, etc. Seems to me
anyone who had a positive thing to say about P. Bush was
not included in the story. Sad commentary on the fact
checkers/producers and Dan Rather.

Montana
barbgeo
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Something just not quite right with documents Reply with quote

Spent over 10 years active duty and 18 years in the reserves including Army National Guard--1974-2002. Much of what I'll say here will resonate with those who served, but will probably mean very little to those who haven't. Much of active duty time was spent working around the orderly room first as an admin officer, then assistant Bn S-1 and then as a company executive officer. Many posters have correctly pointed out that we typically used something called a Memo for Record or Memo for the Record--I never heard of a Memo to File. Perhaps this was an Air Force term, but I doubt it. Second, these things in the Army were normally not done on letterhead, especially typed letterhead with a P.O. Box as someone previously pointed out. We typically did an MFR either on a Dispostion Form--remember the ubiquitous DF ? or on an Optional Form 41--the OF41--remember that little yellow pad of forms. My recollection is that we used MFRs when we were told to do something we didn't quite agree with and wanted to keep some kind of audit trail on why we did what we did. One of my supply warrants had a desk drawer full of these on me when I was a Group Supply and Maintenace Officer in a Special Forces Group because we were always doing things out of what he considered the "ordinary" that required a supply transaction outside the normally procedures. I never saw anything more that an IBM Selectric or Olivetti-Underwood typewriter duing this time and more typically it was a manual typwriter. The only one that touched these things were the company or Bn clerks. I don't remember too many officers including myself who could or would take the time to type back then so typically if an MFR was done it was hand written. In 1980, I saw a word processor for the first time. It was a Lanier at 10th Special Forces Group Headquarters. It was the size of a small freezer and the only one who touched it was the PSNCO. It was used strictly for formal correspondence and order cutting. The last point I want to make is that back in that era, the Guard typically got the active duty hand downs. When I was with the 26th ID Mass Army National Guard in 1985 up in Boston, believe it or not we were just transitioning over from the IBM keypunch machines. So you tell me, do you think the ANG units back in TANG had the high end word processors and even if it did by chance does anyone really believe it would be used to type up something as informal as an MFR.

I recall Bruce Willis's line in "Pulp Fiction" "this is how your'e going to beat these guys--they are going to constantly underestimate you". Go Swfitees
ETEE
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Rathers Last Dieing Hope.......... Reply with quote

CBS current tack is to claim that the memo's were written on an IBM Selectric Composer.

Everything You Never Really Wanted to Know About the IBM Selectric Composer That Dan Rather is Afraid to Ask.

http://shapeofdays.typepad.com/the_shape_of_days/2004/09/the_ibm_selectr.html

Just as the Internet provided the SwiftVets with their "Voice", the Bloggers are giving America back the truth in they're News. The "old boy" network of the Main Stream Media is DEAD.
Van Gibboney
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERYBODY SHOULD READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE IS NO DOUBT THESE ARE FAKES!!!!!
keefer fm MD
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Rather is the BS in CBS. Hey guys, I was checking out my email this a.m. and received an email from Media Matters for America, a left-wing alternative to a very good website, Brent Bozell's Media Research Center. Anyway, the MMFA website, in its attacks on President Bush, is heaping degradation upon a document which is near and dear to me--my, and every other veteran's Honorable Discharge! These pinkos will do anything to bail out their sinking ship! Here's where you can go to read about this: http://mediamatters.org/items/200409080010.

I'm outraged, and I'm sick and tired of the left's attempts to smear the prez, just because their candidate is such a slimeball that they can't highlight any positive attributes about him. Let's defeat Spitball and the left in '04. Swiftvets rock!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: