SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Naval Archives
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nomorelies
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope someone can get in there today. It's Friday and it's getting late. We need those documents.
the0point
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry's people can't stop this can they? I have a fear that they might. And we all know they are reading this board.
vietnamvet173
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what Drudge calls the citizen reporter. I am on the West Coast but I hope someone on the East Coast can get there before Kerry finds a way to block access.

The Demcratic Party will rue the day they selected John Kerry.
taz
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can they tell you if anyone else has received this info?
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that we coordinate how many of us can go there Monday morning. It helps to have more than one work at a time. If we have several people going we can establish a work schedule so we do not duplicate work. I would also suggest that we make one copy and then additional copies at a less expensive location to FedEx to NavyChief and others who are reviewing these documents.
pwcarter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked with a contact there and here is his reply:

Mr. Carter:

Yes, all the items listed are available for examination in our Operational Archives Branch. For more information on how to do research in this branch see our website: http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/nhcorg10.htm

Jack A. Green
Public Affairs Officer
Naval Historical Center
Washington Navy Yard
805 Kidder Breese SE
Washington, DC
20374-5060

Ph: (202) 433-7880
DSN: 288-7880
fax: (202) 433-3593

Green, Jack NAVHISTCEN [jack.green@navy.mil]

I would stay down but I have a disability interview at the Veterans Hosp on Monday that I can't cancel. As some of you know it takes forever to get one.

Definitely coordinate and it would not hurt to make an appointment.
James Bailey
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jataylor,

I live and work in Washington DC - my office is 2 blocks from the Naval Historical Center. I can go down on Monday morning and help out (at the very least bring a pocket full of cash for photocopies). I have extensive experience using historical archives.

Should we start an email chain of folks going down to help to coordinate logistics? Having 10 groups of disorganized people all trying to gain access to the same documents (which are in a secure loc nonetheless) might raise some problems down there.

I'm at jbailey@resolutecapital.com if you want to add me to the list.

James Bailey
skidlid
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Holy Smokes! 4 boxesof Kerry files Reply with quote

Navy Chief or anyone else in these files,
I'll be going to the rally Sunday. Wasn't planning on staying, Navy chief just gave me a way to help. I'll be staying thru Monday now. Anyone else want to hook up for the trip to the Archives Monday morning? Does anyone know if we can take in a digital camera to get pictures of the files? If not, then I believe it will take more than one person to copy all the info. Also does anyone know if they will copy & ship if paid in advance?

Skidlid
ChuLai,DaNang,QuanNgai,DucPho,Hue
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The archieves suggests setting up an appointment. They are open on Monday from 9:00 am to 4:00pm. If you want to be on the list for an appointment. Please e-mail me at this forum.

Last edited by jataylor11 on Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Truegrit
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Kerry archive documents Reply with quote

Get somebody into those archives to photocopy the papers -- before the Dems send in an operative to try to spirit them out. Remember the Sandy Berger incident?
pwcarter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very small area, perhaps two cubbies, maybe three. You will have to lock up everything you have including your coat and any pens. Pencils are okay.

Bring a staple puller. The docs will be in folders and they will ask that you keep them in order and they will ask you not to staple things back together, just keep them in order.

They did let me keep my laptop and scanner. I doubt if they will let more than one person have access at a time. Since I used a scanner, I do not know what the procedure is for photocopying.
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to go and so would my husband who was with Operation Market Time in that time period. I have a scanner that we can use if the Archives OKs. I have emailed Troy with my thoughts on this subject.

Yes, we need to make an appointment and yes, we need to be organized. Depending upon how the records were filed, it will take approximately two hours per box just to look at them. I'd suggest two people working together on a box.

This is great!!
pwcarter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps those of us who will be there Sunday could meet to talk a little about this. I am particularly interested to know if any Gridley materials were included. The Gridley Command History for 1968 was missing in the GRIDLEY files.

pwcarter@ix.netcom.com

Cell - for Sunday 518-221-8046
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The archieves suggests setting up an appointment. They are open on Monday from 9:00 am to 4:00pm. If you want to be on the list for an appointment. Please e-mail be at this forum.
LiveFreeOrDie
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys should organize a team and designate a team leader to function as point person and coordinator. Team members can be assigned roles and tasks. If need be you can even have sub-teams. If new people come on board they can be asssigned roles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: